SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Popcorn: what's your preference?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Popcorn: what's your preference? Login/Join 
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Toss that nasty microwave crap in the trash can.

It’s easy to make on the stovetop.

You need:

Good quality popcorn. As mentioned above, Amish is excellent and you can buy smaller bags from Amazon, no need for 50 pounds at a time.

You need Flavacol, also available on Amazon. This is super important!!!

A good quality popcorn oil, such as coconut oil.

A cooking pot with lid, of sufficient size.

Simple, easy peazy, quick, not expensive at all.

If you’ve never made it on the stovetop, there are tons of videos on YouTube.

******* GET SOME FLAVACOL !!!L *******

You are correct, stovetop is absolutely the best way to go. I can do it on the stovetop and only have a few kernels that don’t pop, but I have gotten lazy and do it almost the stovetop way, but in the microwave.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Cooked on the stovetop in a large stainless bowl with coconut oil and salt. Brand of kernel doesn’t mater.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Microwave popcorn has some pretty nasty stuff in it- specifically the inside coating of the bag it pops in. PFOA lines most of them. Also, butter flavoring is a chemical that has adverse affects.

I use a rotating agitator hot plate style with a bucket top and coconut oil to pop it. Light salt. Comes out great, light, and fresh.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15579 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
Kettle corn or caramel corn speak to my sweet tooth.

Posts: 3675 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1935 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
It sounds super weird, I know, but I eat a lot of pickles and my wife bought me a shaker of dill pickle flavor popcorn seasoning as a joke. It's actually pretty good, and my kids (8 and 3) like it, too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: maladat,

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Just enough salt and then more. And, enough butter that it's soggy.

That is the perfect popcorn.

Posts: 20100 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Microwave popcorn is nasty. And way too expensive for what you get.
And the old school WhirlyPop will do a nice big batch on the stovetop in the same four minutes or so it takes to nuke, without getting that rubbery stuff.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
We like Great Northern popcorn. It has the oil, popcorn & salt in one packet. Our popper has an agitator in the bottom to stir popcorn. Almost as good as movie popcorn!

Posts: 3851 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
It sounds super weird, I know, but I eat a lot of pickles and my wife bought me a shaker of dill pickle flavor popcorn seasoning as a joke. It's actually pretty good, and my kids
(8 and 3) like it, too.

Apparently you're not alone judging by how many brands of dill popcorn seasoning there are on Amazon. Big Grin Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[quote]We like Great Northern popcorn. It has the oil, popcorn & salt in one packet. Our popper has an agitator in the bottom to stir popcorn. Almost as good as movie popcorn![/quote

I thought they made toilet paper.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
We like Great Northern

I thought they made toilet paper.

OMG

lololololololololololololololololololool

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Boy Scout popcorn cooked on the stovetop in a couple teaspoons of bear grease. Today it was topped with Slap Yo Mama seasoning salt. Second favorite is kettle corn style, popped with a couple tablespoons of sugar in the oil.

Can’t remember the last microwave popcorn. I’ll eat it, I just can’t take the smell anymore.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5151 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We buy Grubbs popcorn out of Iowa. I like the mushroom kernels, just popped in a pan no butter. Their microwave popcorn is the best we've ever had.

Posts: 937 | Location: Greeley, CO | Registered: March 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan11:
Pop some Amish Country Popcorn with an air popper, add olive oil to it, then add salt, nutritional yeast protein, and occasionally cayenne pepper.

Their mushroom popcorn is quite good, and if you order a 50 pound bag during one of the regular sales it's very reasonable.

Lots to like here, I use brewer's yeast.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
I've had all the favors from Pittsburgh Popcorn Company and have liked them all.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig229-SAS:
We like Great Northern popcorn. It has the oil, popcorn & salt in one packet. Our popper has an agitator in the bottom to stir popcorn. Almost as good as movie popcorn!
This is what I’ve been doing too.

Prior to that it was:
  • 2Tbsp high smoke point oil (I usually use avocado)
  • few dashes of fine ground salt
  • with lid on heat pot on medium high heat with oil, salt and 3 popcorn kernels
  • once the 3 kernels pop, add 1/4 cup of kernals
  • once lots of kernels popping, begin shaking the pan over the flame
  • once kernels stop popping, dump into a bowl and enjoy

Fo adders, 2Tbsp ground parmesan and 1/4 tsp fine ground black pepper. Add to popped kernels while still in pot, put lid back on, shake the shit out of it, let sit 2 min, and dump in bowl.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Banned
    posted Hide Post
    Orvilles yellow with lots butter.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Get my pies
    outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
    posted Hide Post
    I was never much of a fan of popcorn having had to eat lots of the nasty, dry air-popped type as a kid in the 1980's.

My wife is a big popcorn fan and introduced me to this home popper gadget called a Whirley Pop that actually makes really good popcorn, if you use a decent oil and quality kernels. You place the kernels and oil in the bottom, close it up and place over a stove burner and start cranking away:

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Krazeehorse
    posted Hide Post
    I pop Orville in oil in a Presto microwave popper. Then I hit it with garlic salt.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post