SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Popcorn: what's your preference?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Popcorn: what's your preference? Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
Q. What brand kernels do you prefer?
Q. How do you like yours? Plain, buttered, with some powdered seasoning like ranch dressing or cheese? Some other way?

I occasionally partake in plain, very lightly salted popcorn to curb hunger or as a snack. Years ago settled on Bob's Red Mill for kernels. Yeah I know, fairly high in carbs but also high in fiber and low in calories.

Damned interwebs popped up with folks discussing white cheddar popcorn. The subject brought back memories from my youth where both Karmelcorn and the cheesy delights were enjoyed. Found folks were using a powdered dairy cheese product that was simply powdered cheese and some disodium phosphate. Best was said to be from Hoosier Hill Farms. I figured WTH and bought some.

Yes, damned good on popcorn although you may need to take some extra steps to ensure it sticks to the kernels. I pop with coconut oil which seems to work well enough in my vintage West Bend Stir Crazy popper. Some advocate adding a touch of butter or even spraying on some EVOO before sprinkling the powdered cheese. Whatever.

As an aside, 1/4 cup (which equals 4 TBSPs) is the same amount of powdered cheese in a box of Kraft or other brand mac & cheese. So this stuff can be used to make that in addition to sprinkling on baked potatoes, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, even pretzels... whatever.

Anyhow I just enjoyed some white cheddar popcorn with my Kahlua spiked mid-afternoon coffee. LOL Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16182 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Not being particularly popcorn picky, I just nuke Orville Redenbacher's.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You must be retired. LOL {Referring to the OP}

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just nuke it. I like the pop secret caramel, or the movie theater butter.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pop some Amish Country Popcorn with an air popper, add olive oil to it, then add salt, nutritional yeast protein, and occasionally cayenne pepper.

Their mushroom popcorn is quite good, and if you order a 50 pound bag during one of the regular sales it's very reasonable.

Posts: 2360 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
50 pound bag
Holy shit! That would last me well into the next geological epoch.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You must be retired. LOL {Referring to the OP}

LOL Of course. Big Grin I'm a septuagenarian that retired at age 59.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16182 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Amish Baby White popcorn using a Whirley Pop.

Posts: 5693 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Sentimental memories of popcorn with my departed dearest sweetie recently drove me to buy a box of premium microwave popcorn. But even popping it in the old microwave in the basement storage room flooded the house with that smell. And I've long-ago stopped popping on the hob in oil, for the same reason. The smell.

But I'll pop at other's houses. Big Grin And yes, I am an expert. Wink

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
extra butter, extra salt, nuke it.

Posts: 4693 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I have one of those mini movie house poppers. I use Orville’s with half coconut oil and half popcorn oil. I use Flavical seasoning salt for that movie house flavor.

Try it....
https://www.amazon.com/Gold-Me...c%2Caps%2C225&sr=8-1

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4221 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post

Local brand from next-door Ramsey, Indiana.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I buy a local grocery store’s brand of organic kernels: HEB Central Market. I pop the kernels in organic coconut oil. First I put the desired amount of coconut oil in a glass casserole dish with a cover and nuke it until the oil is melted and hot. I add the desired amount of kernels and let them sit for a minute or two in order to get all the kernels evenly heated. Then I nuke it until they are done popping and add some salt and Parmesan cheese. Growing up my Dad made popcorn with bacon grease and that was the BEST!

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Toss that nasty microwave crap in the trash can.

It’s easy to make on the stovetop.

You need:

Good quality popcorn. As mentioned above, Amish is excellent and you can buy smaller bags from Amazon, no need for 50 pounds at a time.

You need Flavacol, also available on Amazon. This is super important!!!

A good quality popcorn oil, such as coconut oil.

A cooking pot with lid, of sufficient size.

Simple, easy peazy, quick, not expensive at all.

If you’ve never made it on the stovetop, there are tons of videos on YouTube.

******* GET SOME FLAVACOL !!!L *******

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Sorry, the prepackaged microwave stuff I find disgusting. Ever look at the ingredients? Convenient, I guess so. But taste... yuk. Frown

The Flavacol seasoning does indeed taste like the great movie house popcorn of old but it has too much salt for me.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I prefer to pop my own and then add salt and butter. However, I don't think my popping pot is the best for getting good airy popcorn. I think it's holding in too much moisture and my popcorn comes out chewy. I've considered buying a popcorn machine, but that'll probably happen when I build my new house...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Yellow corn orval reddinbacher’s popped in a pan on the stove, seasoned with butter and salt.

Posts: 13231 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I tend to use the Alton Brown recipe which calls for peanut oil. I’ll have to try coconut oil next time.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Sorry. I just get the only absolutely butter-free microwave popcorn on the shelf, whatever brand it is--I don't want ANY butter on my popcorn! I may be the only person in Dallas who prefers it that way, because it is almost impossible to find it. (I don't want any sugar, either.) I do want salt, though. Cheese? I hate all forms of cheese, so no.

There are a couple of brands that offer "natural" popcorn (no butter)--the trick is to find any of them on the shelves, as most stores don't carry them.

I'm too lazy to pop on the stove, and I don't like air-popped, either--salt won't stick to it.

I used to have (more than 20 years ago) an electric popper with a stirrer. I used bacon fat as the oil--smelled yummy when it was popping!

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live across the street from the Yooper movie theater. It has a drive thru! When I get the popcorn itch, I cruise the drive thru.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16066 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post