SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Daughter and Archery - Need to brag - Update at top
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daughter and Archery - Need to brag - Update at top Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
Update:

Well, the kid continues to surprise me. She registered herself and registered one division higher in age with the Cadet division because she thought it would be better competition. One of the results on that is that she is shooting against her friend and competitor Amanda Branch. Those 2 girls have traded 1st and 2nd between them in more tournaments than I can count.

After the first day she is sitting solidly in 4th. She'd be in 3rd only 3 points behind 2nd if she shot her own division in. She struggled some in the first round but managed to improve her score by 14 points in the second. Not bad for a bow she's never shot before. She's also shooting on the same bale is Diana LaBeau. Diana is an amazing lady, all American archer back in the day when colleges still supported archery teams as part of their athletic program and a member of the archery hall of fame. For my hopes of her reigniting a passion for archery, I couldn't think of a better bale mate for her.

Original:

It's been a long time since I've made one of these posts. A bad experience at Nationals last summer and a shoulder injury sidelined our daughter from archery for a while. She's slowly getting back into it and is shooting the Summer Sizzle this weekend, only the second tournament she has shot since Nationals last summer.

So why the brag? She's been asked to shoot and evaluate PSE's new prototype short draw compound target bow this weekend. For those not familiar with archery, PSE is one of, "The Big Three" for compound bow manufacturers. Think of them as the Sig of bow manufacturers. She has been a field staff shooter for PSE in the past.

I really don't care how she does, what her score is or how she places this weekend. I just feel incredibly honored that PSE asked her to evaluate one of their prototypes. I also hope this helps to rekindle some of her passion for archery again.

For those looking to follow, on-line scoring is available at the link below. She'll be shooting the Saturday AM and Sunday PM sessions. Look for Maya Miller under the Compound - Cub Female division.

http://www.ianseo.net/TourData/2019/5880/IC.php

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 2000Z-71,

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11769 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
That sounds like quite an honor! All the best for this weekend.

Posts: 7315 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was wondering about Maya and her archery as I haven't seen any posts about her in a while. Very glad to hear she's healed enough to participate in the sport again. Congratulations to her for being chosen as a tester, and good luck today!

Posts: 4983 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Great news! Thank you for sharing. Go Maya! Smile

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!!!

That’s awesome to hear. I hope she enjoys shooting this weekend.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
I was beginning to wonder if you were withholding from us. Smile Thanks for bragging and kudos to Maya!

Posts: 4820 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not bragging when it's true.

A company with $ on the line thinks she knows enough about bows that they want some of her knowledge. That, there, is true recognition.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2071 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
That is awesome and from PSE no less!

Congratulations yet again.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1853 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That’s awesome! You never know if something like that could work into a job in the future. Cool opportunity.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Update at top.

Posts: 11769 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Congrats to your daughter! I am very glad she decided to come back around to the sport.

Posts: 8625 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
This is excellent news! How old is Maya now?

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
This is excellent news! How old is Maya now?

-Rob

14 and I have a few remaining gray hairs to prove it.

Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the report. Many here enjoy hearing of Maya’s journey.

One question. You mentioned that she is competing in an older age group. Are the targets/distance the same and it’s just stiffer competition or is there something else?
Thanks.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6323 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Thanks for updating,love to keep up with her skills.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
Thank you for the report. Many here enjoy hearing of Maya’s journey.

One question. You mentioned that she is competing in an older age group. Are the targets/distance the same and it’s just stiffer competition or is there something else?
Thanks.

It’s an indoor tournament, targets are all the same size and distance. She’s shooting in the higher age division since it is a higher level of competition. She’s done that numerous times before. Her attitude has always been a trophy doesn’t mean anything unless it is earned.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
If it matters to her, tell her we are rooting for her.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Not good news to report. During the first end today she felt something, "Pop" in her shoulder and was no longer able to.draw her bow. Ice, motrin, rest and a trip to the doc in the morning. Thoughts and prayers appreciated.

Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Hoping for a full recovery and good spirits during what I hope is but a minor setback.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Really hope all is well with her. Prayers headed her way.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post