SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pawpaw's , tell us about your Pawpaw eating experiance
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pawpaw's , tell us about your Pawpaw eating experiance Login/Join 
posted
O wonderfully ?
O ok
O no opinion
O Not good, at all

We're they raw? Cooked?

How often do you eat'em ?

I watch Vivian Howard's cooking show , for her accent more than anything,
She was eating them.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54646 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Paw Paw is a city in Michigan.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16094 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s also a town just east of Bendable in Illinois.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by midwest guy:
It’s also a town just east of Bendable in Illinois.

That sums it up nicely, in more than one way.

Posts: 7358 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Unique texture and flavor.
Compare it to a custard banana with large black lima bean-like seeds.
An all American fruut.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Barely edible.

Posts: 775 | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Paw-Paw was a bouy tender my dad served on.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11285 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
My Papaw (Grandfather) had a Paw Paw tree behind his house. I loved eating them as a kid, we'd just eat them raw. Its been almost 40 years since I've had one.
Its amazing how the mention of one little thing can bring back a rush of memories.

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the South Paw Paw is the term for Grandpa. He even sells RVs at PAW PAWS Camper City in Picayune, Ms. The commericial shows his grandkids kicking tires and exclaiming that's a good car Paw Paw!

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have the trees on our farm. I have always eaten them raw. Very sweet when fully ripened.

Posts: 39 | Location: SOKY | Registered: March 09, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are all over the place in Indiana. They are ripe when the outer skin is black. Usually September/October here. I tried to make some wine one time years ago. The batch worked so much, (maybe sugar content way too high), it overflowed through the airlock on the 5 gallon jug.

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
"Pickin up pawpaws puttin num in a basket,
Pickin up pawpaws puttin num in a basket,
Pickin up pawpaws puttin num in a basket,
Way down yonder in the pawpaw patch"

My dad sang this to me while bouncing me on his knee. I suspect his father sang it to him. I never saw a pawpaw.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Now when you pick a paw-paw
Or a prickly pear
And you prick a raw paw
Next time beware
Don't pick the prickly pear by the paw
When you pick a pear Try to use the claw
But you don't need to use the claw
When you pick a pear of the big paw-paw
Have I given you a clue?

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
My in-laws have two Hillbilly Banana trees in the rear of their property. The flavor and texture are very interesting but they are a PITA to get any kind of usable yield out of.

It's that combined with the fact they don't ship well that has ensured that pawpaws never became a commercially viable fruit.

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We sung that song, too. Grandma used to make an incredibly sweet jam out of them.

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Now when you pick a paw-paw
Or a prickly pear
And you prick a raw paw
Next time beware
Don't pick the prickly pear by the paw
When you pick a pear Try to use the claw
But you don't need to use the claw
When you pick a pear of the big paw-paw
Have I given you a clue?

Look for the bear necessities...

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MrToad
posted Hide Post
I love fresh pawpaws. The scent when they are ripe in late September here is amazing to me. If I remember correctly, they are related to cherimoyas, aka custard apples. Seeds in pawpaws are a nuisance as there can be a lot of them.

If you like religion, laws or sausage, then you shouldn't watch them being made.

Posts: 3342 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The farmer that Lillian visited to purchase the Pawpaw's that she used on this particular show said that he grows 13 different varieties

And, he added that when the trees bloom , the order they give off makes him nauseous.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54646 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen a pawpaw outside of the state fair in 25 or 30 years. I haven't eaten one in the same time frame.

I remember that it tasted like banana.

I have thought of planting a pawpaw trees or two in my backyard.

When I was a kid, there was a natural
Orchard in the bottoms on my grandmother's farm. I would grab a couple when they were in season when I went down to the creek to fish.

ARman

Posts: 3153 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post