SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Electrical Issue
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electrical Issue Login/Join 
Picture of BradleyS
posted
I installed 3 Ring doorbell pros to a new build. No door chimes, they were wired directly to the transformer.
The transformer was connected directly to the breaker box panel (white wire to neutral connection, green to ground and black to a breaker).
After connecting the doorbell wires to the secondary side of the transformer, there is no voltage coming from the transformer. I tested the transformer and discovered both primary and secondary sides are burnt out.
What would cause the transformer to burn out ? I did this to two new transformers.

Isaiah 6:8

Posts: 618 | Location: Salisbury | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What's the specs for the transformer?

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Forgive me if this isn't actually relevant to your case. My background in electrical and electronics made me curious so I googled it.

quote:
The Ring Doorbell Pro requires a constant power supply with a voltage between 16V-24V and at least 30VA of amperage. Our smart home pros have found that in the midwest only about 20% of homes built before 1995 have enough voltage to supply a Ring Doorbell Pro. What this means is that to get enough power for your Ring Doorbell Pro you might need to upgrade your existing transformer. Most older homes only have 10V transformers which don't provide enough voltage for the Ring Doorbell Pro and will not allow for your Ring Pro Doorbell to function properly.

Article

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19726 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first two guesses without testing are the transformer was defective or in a new build, someone on the job site put a nail, screw, or staple through one of the wires and shorted the wires killing the transformer.

Someone did that last year on one of my air conditioning control wires and blew the fuse inside the unit.

I have one ring doorbell set up like yours.
No issues so far.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
You've likely overloaded and blew out the transformer. I would assume they have a fuse internal. I did Ubiquiti cameras and their doorbell cameras necessitated a transformer upgrade just to get two to work. Three would be asking a lot. If you're not doing chimes, I'd be tempted to just get three transformers from Lowes/HD and wire them one to one.

Posts: 11399 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have wire for several Ring doorbells at work and have always used what I call a "Tri Tap" transformer.

They have provisions for higher outputs on the secondary. A standard DB chime only has a 12v secondary output.

Usually get them at Home Depot if we don't have one on the shelf.

They look like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Doorbel...83520392392164&psc=1

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BradleyS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:

Output: 16V AC 1875mA

Posts: 618 | Location: Salisbury | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BradleyS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
Forgive me if this isn't actually relevant to your case. My background in electrical and electronics made me curious so I googled it.

[QUOTE]The Ring Doorbell Pro requires a constant power supply with a voltage between 16V-24V and at least 30VA of amperage. Our smart home pros have found that in the midwest only about 20% of homes built before 1995 have enough voltage to supply a Ring Doorbell Pro. What this means is that to get enough power for your Ring Doorbell Pro you might need to upgrade your existing transformer. Most older homes only have 10V transformers which don't provide enough voltage for the Ring Doorbell Pro and will not allow for your Ring Pro Doorbell to function properly.

Thanks Rey

Picture of BradleyS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:
The first two guesses without testing are the transformer was defective or in a new build, someone on the job site put a nail, screw, or staple through one of the wires and shorted the wires killing the transformer.

Someone did that last year on one of my air conditioning control wires and blew the fuse inside the unit.

I have one ring doorbell set up like yours.
No issues so far.

That could me the issue. Some "unknown" nefarious actor did run a new line from the basement door and did use some staples.
I didn't think that short in the line would burn out the transformer.

Picture of BradleyS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
You've likely overloaded and blew out the transformer. I would assume they have a fuse internal. I did Ubiquiti cameras and their doorbell cameras necessitated a transformer upgrade just to get two to work. Three would be asking a lot. If you're not doing chimes, I'd be tempted to just get three transformers from Lowes/HD and wire them one to one.

Thank you for that idea.

Picture of BradleyS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by motoboy:
I have wire for several Ring doorbells at work and have always used what I call a "Tri Tap" transformer.

They have provisions for higher outputs on the secondary. A standard DB chime only has a 12v secondary output.

Usually get them at Home Depot if we don't have one on the shelf.

Thanks motoboy.
The initial transformer was a Ring transformer that had only two connections on the secondary. I purchased a like transformer at Home Depot. Home Depot had the Tri transformers on display, but I didn't have a clue as to their three connections.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
As everyone has stated you overloaded the transformer. You need to determine what size you need for each one. We would upgrade to 30va from the standard 10va that are installed in homes to solve the problem. I would install one transformer for each location. Then after installing the transformer(s) I would measure at the device with it connected the voltage. If the voltage is at or below 16v at the device, then use the 24v instead of 16v taps. If it's a short run less than 50' there's probably no need to test, just use the 16v taps. If runs are over 100' you'll likely need to use the 24v taps.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20851 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BradleyS:
quote:

Which is basically a 30 VA transformer (29.6)
That's big enough to operate ONE ring doorbell.

Picture of BradleyS
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Which is basically a 30 VA transformer (29.6)
That's big enough to operate ONE ring doorbell.

I ran a test on the third line that I ran and found a short. Ran a new line.
Guess I need three separate transformers.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I installed 3 Ring doorbell pros to a new build. No door chimes, they were wired directly to the transformer.

Their site recommends installing a resistor for systems with no chime.
Stating it's a fire hazard without.

https://support.ring.com/hc/en...e-existing-Doorbell-

Per site:
Note: If you hook up a Ring Video Doorbell directly to an AC transformer without either a resistor or an internal chime, there is a serious fire risk.

Picture of BradleyS
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Their site recommends installing a resistor for systems with no chime.
Stating it's a fire hazard without.

https://support.ring.com/hc/en...e-existing-Doorbell-

Per site:
Note: If you hook up a Ring Video Doorbell directly to an AC transformer without either a resistor or an internal chime, there is a serious fire risk.

Thanks for the follow up.
Do you think that a transformer rated 24V - 40AV would power two Ring Pro's ?

posted Hide Post
They actually show using a 16volt 30VA transformer in their diagram.
Using a Pro Power Kit for each Ring Doorbell Pro.

https://support.ring.com/hc/en...o-Doorbell-Pro-Setup