SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Update on Waffle House arrest in Alabama
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Update on Waffle House arrest in Alabama Login/Join 
posted
https://www.al.com/news/index....ns_found_guilty.html

Chikesia Clemons, an African-American woman who was arrested at a Waffle House in Saraland in April, was found guilty of disorderly conduct and resisting arrest during a late night trial in Mobile County Monday.

The arrest came to light after a video of her being allegedly manhandled by Saraland police officers inside a Waffle House surfaced and went viral on social media. Clemons is seen being wrestled to the floor by three police officers in what protesters and black right's activists labeled as police brutality.

Rev. Al Sharpton, a nationwide black right's leader, came to Mobile to raise funds for her legal defense, while a prominent civil rights leader was hired from Florida to take on her case. In the lead up to the court date, unrelated charges of harassment were dropped against her after the alleged victim in that case failed to appear in court.

As part of the months-long protest against how Clemons was arrested, a petition containing more than 50,000 signatures was delivered to Saraland's district attorney June 19 asking that the charges against her be dropped.

At the conclusion of the trial, a little before 10 p.m., Judge Mark Erwin said that Clemons was found guilty because the facts of the case met the legal definitions required to find a person guilty, and had nothing to do with the high level of emotion that had played out in the weeks and months before.

View Comments (232)

Posts: 17534 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
It seems so straight-forward. Don’t want to be manhandled by the police? Act like an adult instead of a spoiled three year old.

Unfortunately, it appears there’s evidence that going apeshit sometimes pays off.

Posts: 27185 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
It seems so straight-forward. Don’t want to be manhandled by the police? Act like an adult instead of a spoiled three year old.

This has worked for myself and countless others. In fact, I'm going out for a couple of beers and dinner with some friends tonight, and I'd be willing to bet that nothing like this will happen to me. Of course, I do have that white privilege thing going on.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Chikesia Clemons

And there's where things started to go wrong.

I had a friend who was a prison administrator and he said the worst thing a parent could do is give their son the middle name "Wayne". He said that half the prison inmates he supervised were named "Billy Wayne" Bobby Wayne" Jimmy Wayne" etc. He believed certain names doomed a child, including ghetto names.

Posts: 8911 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
So you're saying she's Chikesia Wayne Clemons?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6391 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I also think it's bad to give your children names that they will eternally have to be spelling out for people all through their lives. "Chikesia"? Give me a break! Such names do not have any historical significance back in Africa, I am told, and I doubt that many of them have achieved the status of "family names" that need to be carried forward. Far better to pick names that are more common (at least to spell) and call less attention to themselves.

FWIW, I have several First Cousins with "Wayne" in their names, and none of them live in prison....

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had a friend who was a prison administrator and he said the worst thing a parent could do is give their son the middle name "Wayne". He said that half the prison inmates he supervised were named "Billy Wayne" Bobby Wayne" Jimmy Wayne" etc. He believed certain names doomed a child, including ghetto names.

Well we have the serial killer, John Wayne Gacy, and also Little Wayne, the rapper.

Posts: 17534 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
So you're saying she's Chikesia Wayne Clemons?

oooooooh.... that would be probably a guaranteed spot for death row.

Posts: 8911 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Why is this news? Same old shit. Break the law, play the race card, yell, protest, express outrage at our racist society. It's boring. Want to peek my interest? Have one of these whiners actually admit that they've broken the law and deserved what they got when the police showed up. Otherwise, it's just the same old race-baiting, pissing-and-moaning, never-take-responsibility-for-your-actions horse shit.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109167 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why is this news? Same old shit. Break the law, play the race card, yell, protest, express outrage at our racist society. It's boring. Want to peek my interest? Have one of these whiners actually admit that they've broken the law and deserved what they got when the police showed up. Otherwise, it's just the same old race-baiting, pissing-and-moaning, never-take-responsibility-for-your-actions horse shit.

I agree. The only reason I posted this article was to show that the perp was found guilty despite the petition and protests etc. Too often the conclusion of the story is never heard.