SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How to discourage bats from my porch?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to discourage bats from my porch? Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted
They like to get under the eve in the corner of my porch and then they leave droppings on the porch. I'm wondering if anyone knows how to scare them off, or discourage their roosting in this small corner of the eve that they seem to like. thx!

Posts: 11389 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Have you tried dog whistles?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Well you could screen in the porch, eliminating their ability to roost on it.

From google - link

Evicting bats

The best way to get bats to leave is to eliminate roost-friendly sites. To do that, bat experts recommend:

• Shining a bright light on the spot 24 hours a day for a week.

• Using nontoxic aerosol dog or cat repellents available at hardware and garden stores. Apply the spray during the daytime and only when bats are not present.

• Hanging Mylar balloons or strips of aluminum foil from the porch ceiling.

Don't use sticky bird repellents. Some of them are marketed as a deterrent for bats, but they are inhumane. Bats can become trapped and die.

If, in your twilight check of the house, you do see bats exiting your house, note all of the exit points and count the bats. (Do this twice to ensure that all holes are identified and bat numbers are accurate.) If there's only one exit point, plug it as soon as the last bat leaves (that's why you counted the bats). If several holes are found, plug all but one during daylight. Wait a day or two to give the bats a chance to get used to using the last opening, then plug it as soon as the last bat has left in the evening. Make a temporary seal of steel wool to keep them out. Permanent bat-proofing requires mesh hardware cloth, plywood or aerosol-foam insulation.

Although you may not want to think of them beyond getting rid of them, experts advise against discouraging them too much. They have their benefits; for example, they devour lots of insects during their nightly hunts. Consider putting up a bat house nearby for your displaced bats. That way, they'll stick around without creating a nuisance.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Put up an actual bat house in a close, but more convenient area. That could get them out of your porch, and for the most part they're beneficial to have around.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Flip the Welcome mat over?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43886 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Throw the curve ball.

Bats no like curve ball, or so I've heard.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
Put up an actual bat house in a close, but more convenient area. That could get them out of your porch, and for the most part they're beneficial to have around.

That's what I did.
They were in my barn making a mess of things if you know what I mean and you probably do.
Put up a few houses after I sealed up the barn and they're still around. They do a good job on the mosquitoes so I don't mind them around.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:

They were in my barn making a mess of things if you know what I mean and you probably do.

Maddening. Hence the colloquialism "batshit-crazy."

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RB211
posted Hide Post
I used a garden sprayer with water when they roosted in my attic. Bats don't like getting wet, and haven't come back to my attic.

Posts: 2039 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Flip the Welcome mat over?
...and then paint "WET MARKET" in big block letters. Extra points if done in old school Chinese restaurant font.

Posts: 2662 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
A little twist from 2nd best solution in link Sigforumite 41 posted in last week's thread about bats - install a bright LED light. This should work for the corner of your porch as well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tatortodd,

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
This is a SWAG, but I bet one of those ultrasonic pest repellers would be effective.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Hang garlic all over the porch.

Posts: 2778 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
When I was stationed in Charleston on a patrol boat I lived in Mt. Pleasant in some apartments the CG housing rented for us. Long story short, I was ordered to return home from a dry dock period in Green Cove Springs Fla to find thousands of bats had nested in the attic/eaves of the apartment building. Being that we lived on the upper deck our apartment building was the one affected. The ammonia odor could be smelled from halfway up the stairs. We had a 4 year old and a 6 month old…my eyes began watering when I stepped into the apartment…it was horrible.

My exwife at the time had been around and around with the apartments and housing getting no response.

Apparently my ex had ambushed the base commander at a social dinner at the base and made an ass of herself. I was ordered to return home to fix the issue.

We got moved across the street along with the other three families.

Turns out the bats were endangered and couldn’t just be gassed.
The guys had to wait until the bats were all out one night and board up the openings they were using to get in and out.

I also had one of the worse reviews during that marking period of my career-even though it was all precipitated by the ex…and another wife from another ship.

Do whatever it takes to get rid of them..NOW.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My mom leaves her porch light on 24/7. If it gets shut off just for one night, the bats leave a mess.

Posts: 882 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had droppings on back patio and thought I had mice. I put out glue sheets and next day the glue sheets had poop pellets on them, I thought I had flying mice. Turns out I had bats so I put 15W LED bulbs in patio light and now leave it on all night - no more bats.

Posts: 73 | Location: Oceanside, CA | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

my ex had ambushed the base commander at a social dinner at the base and made an ass of herself . . . one of the worse reviews during that marking period of my career-even though it was all precipitated by the ex…and another wife from another ship.

Do whatever it takes to get rid of them..NOW.
Not that easy to find a cure.

Divorce lawyers don't seem to advertise the way that the Personal Injury guys do.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Build them a belfry.

Then you can truthfully state your wife has bats in her belfry.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not that easy to find a cure.

Divorce lawyers don't seem to advertise the way that the Personal Injury guys do.

Hahahahahahaha thanks for the laugh Vtail.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm entitled to this Title
posted Hide Post
I encourage their presence around my properties, but they are a nuisance if they find their way to an unwanted location.. especially if it is not in an area that is easily sealed off.

Bat Boxes definitely keep them from seeking areas that are not ideal for the home owner.

They do make various forms of Bat Repellant pellets.. But I have heard that they work best in enclosed areas. You may be able to place the repellant in the areas that they have taken up, and get them to leave the vicinity.

Posts: 13991 | Location: WV | Registered: October 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post