SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best math books?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best math books? Login/Join 
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted
I've decided because of feeling completely useless with trying to help my daughter with homework that a refresher course is in order. Please recommend math books for old farts like me who remember little to nothing from his school years.

Posts: 7650 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of btgoanna
posted Hide Post
Look into the ABEKA home school books

Posts: 834 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: November 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
I've decided because of feeling completely useless with trying to help my daughter with homework that a refresher course is in order. Please recommend math books for old farts like me who remember little to nothing from his school years.

Try youtube -- many topics there that can help, and free.

--K

Posts: 190 | Registered: January 27, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Khan Academy (on youtube) is great. 20 min videos on pretty much any topic.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Math-u-See is a pretty awesome curriculum. Once you get to Geometry and Trig it is a little light on proofs but on the whole the curriculum is great. It runs from Kindergarten up trough Calculus. Depending on what level your daughter is on, you may have to go back a bit to pick up some basic principles that are often taught but never really explained well. Math-U-See explains things in ways kids can really grasp.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
What are you trying to learn? Geometry, Algebra, Calculus.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16450 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I'd like to start with Algebra and move as far along as I can.

Posts: 7650 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
I'd like to start with Algebra and move as far along as I can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAerID24QJ0

There's a part 2 and a natural progression that you can follow.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
I’ve found Kahn Academy to be a good resource. You can search out the type of problem your daughter and it shows you how it’s solved.

Hint: Math is taking simple steps, n order, until you come to a solution. Once you understand a follow the steps you’re golden.

https://www.khanacademy.org/math

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6065 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I agree with the Khan academy votes. You may also want to check out some older Algebra textbooks on Ebay. A textbook can give terrific practice problems that save you from trying to think of your own.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And when you're truly stuck ... Wolfram Alpha.

Posts: 2561 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The older Saxon texts are good. I swear, I'll buy most all of them off Amazon just to have around.) When you get to the point of needing university level texts, I recommend Larson & Hostetler's Precalculus and Calculus series. Or Spivak if you want a more rigorous treatment of Calculus.

Posts: 501 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Abeka is what we use as the curriculum in our school and you can order the books for whatever grade you're looking for they're not very expensive. Abeka math is very easy to understand you can almost teach it to yourself just by following along each day.

If you're just looking for a refresher look into Schaum's outlines by far the best study aids I have ever seen and used you could almost teach yourself anything and they make them for all different subjects and all different levels.

Posts: 2128 | Location: Central TX | Registered: February 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
We use Kahn Academy in our district. The lessons are easy to follow.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4033 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
I strongly second the recommendation of the Saxon books. I have firsthand experience using them as supplemental material during high school.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://patrickjmt.com/
I followed this gentlemen's video from elementary algebra to differential equations. I can recommend his channel enough.

Posts: 548 | Location: Field of Dreams | Registered: September 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I suggest you simply use your daughter's textbook. Typically they move straightforward, giving everything you need. Definitions, concepts, how to work problems, example problems, etc.

If there is some concept you simply can't comprehend from the text, then you can google it and look for alternative explanations. But if you want to help your daughter, it's important that you, and she, can do the work the way that her text is showing you.

In school, math is not about the answer-it's about how you get the answer.

Posts: 3532 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
When my kid asked me to help with high school calculus, I drew a blank. I was a math and science major in college. But never used calculus in my career. Algebra, and physics ideas, yes. Calculus no. I felt bad having forgot most everything about diffy-q. Kid survived, and now is in last year of Dr school. Has an MBA too.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6401 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post