SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thunderbird - a New and Annoying Bug
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thunderbird - a New and Annoying Bug Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted
my application updated itself perhaps a month ago and now every time I go to save an email it appends this long string of data to include the senders name, the senders email address and a date/time stamp

Its annoying when trying to save a conversation thread on something

I looked through the set up menu to see if I could turn this off and I didn't see anything that would let me disable this bug

has anyone else encountered this 'feature'? And fixed it?

Posts: 53228 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
finally found out that this 'feature' was the work of one coder and has been almost universally been condemned by the user community

there is no way to revert back to just saving the file name without having to edit each name string

the solution is to upgrade to a previous version of TB

I think this is the first major faux pas by the TB creators and hopefully they will bow to the pressure and remove this bug sooner rather than later

Posts: 53228 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I still run the 68 train, just to stay away from feature bloat. 68.12.1 for the Mac, a simple POP3 client for 2 email accounts. No preview window, no remote content loaded by default, and attachments are viewed with much skepticism.

TB has a handy feature called "View Source" (Command-U on the Mac), which shows the plain text of the highlighted email including all delivery headers. I use this first on any dubious emails. The delivery headers are also a handy way to build up my IP block list.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10790 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post