SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New vehicle technology: engine shuts down when stopped.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New vehicle technology: engine shuts down when stopped. Login/Join 
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ds1962:
I talked with the Subaru salesman, and he said all I have to do is press the button and disengage it. No big deal. I can do that. I don't want that on my vehicle. It's EPA, no doubt.

The only reason manufacturers are implementing stop/start on more and more models is that vehicles with it will gain slightly better mpg, not much but maybe enough to let them achieve a combined government rating of say 29 vs 28. But the only way EPA allows them to utilize the gain (for CAFE or "official MPG city/highway/combined" specs) is if stop/start is always the default setting every time the vehicle is turned on.

Count me in as one who will avoid buying any vehicle with this "feature". Thankfully for 2018 Honda didn't put this on their Ridgeline otherwise I would't have bought mine.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7083 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AITG:
quote:
Originally posted by the_sandman_454:
Considering starting the engine is one of the highest wear parts of operation, I can't imagine constant shutting down and restarting is the best thing for the engine longevity. It may not cause as much wear as the initial cold start, but it's still got to be worse than just letting it idle.

Unlike a manual start (driver turns key), the auto restart takes place with the engine under load as soon as it fires (in gear, and frequently accelerating immediately after starting). While my 2018 F150 is very unobtrusive when it restarts my routine is "start engine, push deactivate button, fasten seat belt". I plan to own it for a long time.

Starting with a load on it is actually worse. Oil pressure will take a little to come up, during which time you could get metal to metal contact where it shouldn't be. There may be enough residual oil in the bearings to be ok, but there might also not be. This could get more significant as the engine wears more later in its life.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ozarkwoods:
We test drove a new JL Wrangler that had it. Did not like it I know there was a way to disable it, but you had to do it every time you shut down and restart. It was that and the other issues the JL has that made me go with a 2018 JK instead. I hate buying the first year of a new design.

I test drove a '19 JL also. A bigger annoyance to me was the eight speed transmission coupled to the 2.0 Turbo engine. I did not like the shift feel in the lower gears and the Turbo was just too peaky for my taste especially in a vehicle designed for off roading. At least in my opinion I prefer a wider power band.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post