SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mother's broken hip. Now covid.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mother's broken hip. Now covid. Login/Join 
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted
I am bummed. Mother 97, broke hip. Hospital fixed with surgery. Rehab started. Very difficult for her. Now has covid and going to a better equipped rehab. Totally bummed.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sending best wishes to you and mom. Keep us posted, will be thinking of you.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Praying that she can pull through. At that age, she's a strong woman.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Best of luck and prayers said and sent to both of you.

Posts: 3725 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
They should give her the monoclonal antibody treatment. Which the gov. won't allow now I believe. Which is criminal.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Ask about Evusheld or Paxlovid.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish her all the best for a quick and total recovery.

Posts: 1453 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I said a prayer for your mother's healing.

Unfortunately, falls and broken hips are the achilles heels of old people.

I used to silently wonder how come my mother found it hard to climb a short length of stairs. I thought, "just put one foot on the next step and push up with the other foot." Now I understand.

One criteria I have for my next house is no sloping driveway.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19665 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't give up hope. My mom is also 97 and broke her hip about a year ago so we are pretty much in the same boat. Mom was in bad shape after the surgery and we put her in hospice not expecting her to last more than two to three weeks. But lo and behold, she slowly started to improve both physically and mentally and she is now discharged from hospice and in a good nursing home. She is now lucid, involved in activities and wheels herself around the place in her wheelchair. I talk to her every other day (I live 500 miles away) and have good conversations.

I think the two critical factors for people in our parent's position is good pain management and close contact with family. The medical profession is very reluctant to give pain medication these days and we (my sister, mainly) had to fight like hell to get Mom the right stuff- a fentanyl patch and daily Percocet. Constant family interaction, if you can manage it, will keep her spirits up and strengthen her will to live. A third item, don't forget about yourself; the pressure on care givers is tremendous. Give to your mom but take care of yourself.

Feel free to contact me at the email in my profile if you need more detail or just want to chat.

Posts: 992 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post