SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sanctuary City Baltimore Is Now Begging The Feds For Help
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sanctuary City Baltimore Is Now Begging The Feds For Help Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
not sure I see a problem here

this is what they voted for

this is what they protested for

they're getting everything they wanted and more

I don't understand why they are complaining

Because they have never read. Pogo, the enemy is us Wink
Fixed it for you. These animals don't read, or write, or contemplate higher thoughts. They steal, beat, destroy, multiply, and complain continually until...1) government cracks down on them hard, or 2) government hands them another win and a payday. I vote its time for #1, and in a yuuuge way.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
OK, check out these numbers:

quote:

The department is paying out $1 million in overtime just to make up for the difference.

Is that per day, month, year? A worthless "fact" ... Read on, from another source ...

The Police Department is on pace to spend $43 million on overtime this fiscal year, even though only $16 million is budgeted for overtime.

Mayor Catherine Pugh said Friday she is seeking an audit of Baltimore Police Department overtime after seven officers were indicted on federal racketeering charges — including allegations that they committed overtime fraud.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/ne...-20170303-story.html

Net effect, zero to positive.

$43M/400 ossifers short equals $107,500 per missing officer. I guarantee you once you factor in retirement, health insurance, and other benefits they are breaking even or actually doing better. When you subtract the $16M normally budgeted then you are at $27M/400 which is $67,500 per missing officer. I guarantee base pay annually with out benefits is in excess of that figure.

How many/much vehicles, guns, and other equipment doesn't need to bought for those missing 400 officers?
Then net out of your savings the addition hospitalization and disability to officers, additional damage to public property that could not be properly protected, and on and on. We can play the numbers game all night long, but the problem is easily definable and persists...

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
"We’re looking for all the help we can get,” Pugh said."

this article from 23 Mar 2017 (about 1 month ago)

http://www.baltimoresun.com/ne...-20170323-story.html

Pugh wants to cut $5.5 million from Baltimore Police Department budget to send to schools

Mayor Catherine Pugh wants to cut at least $5.5 million from the Baltimore Police Department to help plug a shortfall in the schools budget as part of a developing plan she outlined Wednesday to better control police spending.

Pugh — who is expected to release her administration's first budget next week — said she is putting together a strategy to control police overtime spending, and has directed Police Commissioner Kevin Davis to find cuts in the department's $480 million budget.

Police overtime spending is expected to top $42 million this year. Officials had set aside $16 million for the expense.

"I am going to hold them to a police overtime budget," Pugh said. "I am still looking at their budget currently. Let me just say, $42 million will not be their overtime budget."

Pugh did not say how much money she thinks is reasonable for the Police Department to spend on overtime.

To rein in costs, the mayor said, she is investigating whether the department has enough technology and oversight in place to grant overtime only when necessary and appropriate.

City Council President Bernard C. "Jack" Young said this week he will look to cut $10 million from the police budget to free up money for schools. He said he would target police overtime, administrative costs and executive protection.

Pugh was asked whether she could find $10 million in savings in the Police Department budget.

"I don't know," she said. "I am not looking at just overtime. I am looking at how we structure the Police Department in a way that is more effective and efficient."

less than 2 years ago, then Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake was sworn in as president of the U.S. Conference of Mayors, a group that influences national urban policy.

Posts: 19578 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
Seems to me that until Baltimore addresses the root problem (which is not guns) the fed assistance will not help much.

They're not asking for a solution. They're asking for the federal government to effectively subsidize their perverse behavior by using FBI manpower to do strictly local policing.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Were they expecting a different result from their policies? They have gotten exactly what they were asking for, exactly what the have governed for, exactly what they have (mis)spent the taxpayers money on. They were thinking utopia but the have created a nightmare.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
The city .gov keeps throwing sand up in the air and crying for Mommy.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
City Council President Bernard C. "Jack" Young said this week he will look to cut $10 million from the police budget to free up money for schools. He said he would target police overtime, administrative costs and executive protection.

It sounds like he thinks a cop shop runs like a school district. Fire an assistant principal and you have to cut back on detention.
Fire a copper and nobody is on the beat. Fire a cop administrator, maybe, but then the choke points just start to show as schedules and assignments try to work themselves out and meantime nobody is on the beat.

I'm going out on a limb here and say I don't think they know what they are doing, Biggly.

Posts: 6396 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
What a great idea!
Start with cutting executive protection for all the Baltimore politicians.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
THIS!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
“Murder is out of control. There are too many guns on the streets.

You mean, too many *thugs* on the streets.

quote:
On top of an over 30 percent increase in murders, the city is also experiencing a shortage in police officers. The city is operating with the lowest number of officers in about a decade — 2,500 police officers. Usually, the department has 2,900 officers.

WELL, WHEN A CITY WAGES OUTRIGHT WAR AGAINST ITS UNIFORMED OFFICERS, THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS.

Retards.[/QUOTE]

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2084 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by msfzoe:
Sanctuary city = no Federal assistance.

Sounds like a fair trade to me.

Posts: 747 | Location: Vermont | Registered: February 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Watching libs learn is tedious. Removing consequences from their lesson plan is expensive.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29703 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Watching libs learn is tedious.
What are they learning? It sounds to me they've learned nothing at all, which is standard practice for liberals. All they're attempting now is to try and pawn off a problem of their own making, which they won't even admit to (i.e. the tired old "too many guns on the street" nonsense), on the Feds (i.e. all of us). This just seems like standard liberal operating procedure to me, to which I suggest 'we' recommend that they proceed in "Burning the MF down". Their mess, their problem.

No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Watching libs learn is tedious.
What are they learning? It sounds to me they've learned nothing at all, which is standard practice for liberals. All they're attempting now is to try and pawn off a problem of their own making, which they won't even admit to (i.e. the tired old "too many guns on the street" nonsense), on the Feds (i.e. all of us). This just seems like standard liberal operating procedure to me, to which I suggest 'we' recommend that they proceed in "Burning the MF down". Their mess, their problem.

Their mess is a direct result of their choices. But for some reason, some mix of pride/ignorance/insanity, they are totally unwilling or incapable of connecting the flash with the bang.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

$43M/400 ossifers short equals $107,500 per missing officer. I guarantee you once you factor in retirement, health insurance, and other benefits they are breaking even or actually doing better. When you subtract the $16M normally budgeted then you are at $27M/400 which is $67,500 per missing officer. I guarantee base pay annually with out benefits is in excess of that figure.

How many/much vehicles, guns, and other equipment doesn't need to bought for those missing 400 officers?

From the BPD website:

Starting yearly salary for Baltimore Police Officers is $48,971.00.

Posts: 848 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am just amazed that Baltimore has any cops working at all.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
Mayor Catherine Pugh wants to cut at least $5.5 million from the Baltimore Police Department to help plug a shortfall in the schools budget...

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15485 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You end up with more of what you foster. How can that bitch go to the feds and ask for help? She going to prosecute them when shit goes south?

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1120 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Can Federal agents legally enforce local & state laws?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37966 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by L90814:
quote:

From the BPD website:

Starting yearly salary for Baltimore Police Officers is $48,971.00.

Well if that's the case, then they can't find officers because they are incredibly under paid AND the risk of having their lives ruined from just doing their jobs.

The money doesn't matter. Their problem is not financial, it's people like Moseby, and the rest of the psychotic polititions there creating a toxic work environment.

Starting pay could be six figures and I wouldn't work for them.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a great idea!

/sarcasm mode off/

http://www.baltimoresun.com/ne...-20170428-story.html

Baltimore prosecutors told to consider consequences for prosecuting illegal immigrants for minor crimes

by Justin Fenton Contact Reporter
The Baltimore Sun

The Baltimore State's Attorney's Office has instructed prosecutors to think twice before charging illegal immigrants with minor, non-violent crimes in response to stepped up immigration enforcement by the Trump administration.

Chief Deputy State's Attorney Michael Schatzow, in a memo sent to all staff Thursday and obtained by The Baltimore Sun, wrote that the Justice Department's deportation efforts "have increased the potential collateral consequences to certain immigrants of minor, non-violent criminal conduct."

"In considering the appropriate disposition of a minor, non-violent criminal case, please be certain to consider those potential consequences to the victim, witnesses, and the defendant," Schatzow wrote.

Prosecutors declined to discuss the memo.

Under President Trump, the U.S. Justice Department has made enforcement of immigration laws a priority, with Attorney General Jeff Sessions decrying "filth" brought on by drug cartels and criminal organizations and instructing U.S. attorneys to increase immigration prosecutions.

The Homeland Security Department issued memos in February saying any immigrant in the country illegally who is charged or convicted of any offense, or even suspected of a crime, will now be an enforcement priority.

Elizabeth Alex, a Baltimore regional director for CASA de Maryland, said immigrants and their relatives are afraid to engage in the court process, and Baltimore prosecutors are right to include immigration status as part of their consideration in how to handle a case.

"Prosecutorial discretion exists in all kinds of cases, and it's more education to [prosecutors] about the multiple factors that they should take into consideration as they proceed," she said. "The consequences are different today than they were a year ago."

U.S. Rep. Andy Harris, the lone Republican in Maryland's congressional delegation, said it is "a real shame that the State Attorney's office is unwilling to enforce the law against illegal aliens who commit crimes in the United States."

"A vast majority of Americans believe that illegal aliens who commit crimes while here in the U.S. should bear the full brunt of the law, and be deported," Harris said through a spokesperson.

The Justice Department declined to comment on the Baltimore memo. But in remarks Friday on Long Island, Sessions decried district attorneys who he said "openly brag about not charging cases appropriately – giving special treatment to illegal aliens to ensure these criminal aliens aren't deported from their communities.

"They advertise that they will charge a criminal alien with a lesser offense than presumably they would charge a United States citizen. It baffles me," Sessions said.

The comments appeared to be in response to the acting district attorney in Brooklyn, N.Y., who earlier this week issued similar instruction to prosecutors there. "We must ensure that a conviction, especially for a minor offense, does not lead to unintended and severe consequences like deportation, which can be unfair, tear families apart and destabilize our communities and businesses," Acting District Attorney Eric Gonzalez said in an announcement Monday.

Gonzalez went a step further, hiring two immigration attorneys to train staff on immigration issues and to advise prosecutors when making plea offers and sentencing recommendations "in an effort to avoid disproportionate collateral consequences."

Mayor Catherine E. Pugh, who has sought to reassure immigrants that Baltimore is a "welcoming city" that will not check for proof of citizenship, declined to comment on the State's Attorney's Office memo.

"Mayor Pugh will leave prosecution strategies and tactics to the State's Attorney and her staff," spokesman Anthony McCarthy said in an e-mail.

Baltimore Police said that just as they are not asking for proof of citizenship, they will not take that into account when investigating crime.

"That would put us right back in the situation where we are making a judgment based on someone's immigration status," said spokesman T.J. Smith. "We're not going to do that."

Police Commissioner Kevin Davis has expressed concern about immigrants not reporting crimes or cooperating with investigations because they fear repercussions related to their status, and has attended community meetings stressing that police won't make immigration checks.

Schatzow, in the State's Attorney's Office memo, noted such concerns, saying fear of being deported could "impair our effectiveness in combating violent crimes and criminals."

Alex, of CASA de Maryland, praised Baltimore State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby for outreach to immigrants, such as increasing bilingual resources for crime victims and testifying in support of the Maryland Trust Act, which would have made it illegal for police to ask for immigration status and prevented jails from holding people suspected of being in the country illegally. The bill failed in the legislature this year.

The Trump administration has targeted so-called "sanctuary cities" for cuts by the federal government, but Pugh says Baltimore is not a sanctuary city because it does not run its own jail and can't make decisions about whether to hold people charged with immigration crimes.

The state prison system complies with some federal immigration orders and requests, though it does not hold immigrants in jail beyond their regular release absent a warrant. Baltimore was not among a list of cities recently warned that they faced cuts in aid due to their policies on immigrants.

jfenton@baltsun.com

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sigmund,

Posts: 15908 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post