SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A little help please, with cordless screwdrivers.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A little help please, with cordless screwdrivers. Login/Join 
posted
I have a project coming up that calls for the assembly of put-it-together-yourself furniture. My ancient Craftsman cordless screwdriver wont hold a charge anymore so its time for a new one.
After some intergoogling, I have been looking at these two models:
1- Dewalt 8 Volt Model DCF682N1 $89 on Amazon.
2- Skil 4 Volt Model SD561204 $39 on Amazon.
Anyone have these? And whats your experience? This will be for intermittent use and my budget is $100.
Any other suggestions are welcome!
Thanks in advance!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16364 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
DeWalt over Skil, all day, every day.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15472 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Do you have a need for a cordless drill? Would it work within the space confines of your project? I use my DeWalt cordless drill for lots of screw driving and screw removal. Just a thought.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39184 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a cordless drill but in looking at the instructions for the stuff, there will be areas that the drill wont fit.
I am leaning towards Dewalt, as some reviews said Skil quality is not what it used to be. I have a Harbor Freight nearby should I want to visit China.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16364 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Combo Kit from Home Depot (DCK240C2)
$139-Cordless drill and Impact driver, 2 batteries, charger and bag.
Impact driver is better on your hand, has torque setting so you don't strip screws, extra battery.
More than $100-actually getting 2 tools.

Posts: 2366 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RYOBI USB Lithium System Screwdriver
Pivoting Head for Increased Access
Dual LEDs for Improved Visibility
Powered by the RYOBI USB Lithium Battery

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RY...Kit-FVD50K/318964392

Posts: 379 | Location: Mansfield, TX | Registered: April 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
For confined spaces, max ease of use, and zero issues keeping the bit in the screw head, get an impact driver. For maximum quietness and smoothness of operation, get a hydraulic model impact driver. If you want to save $ get Home Depot's House brand hydraulic impact driver. It will be easier to use than an electric screwdriver with better clearance in cramped spaces. Generally however, if you only want the tool to use just one time and never again, the impact driver would be too much $ for only one time use. Most guys with impact drivers use them often for all kinds of assembly, disassembly, construction, and repair. I use mine all the time, it's orders of magnitude easier to use over a drill or electric screwdriver, particularly when the screws get long and the material gets tough. I built an entire front porch railing system from scratch with my hydraulic impact driver, it's a dream tool. Makes it much easier as my wrists become weaker with age, as the physics of impact drivers negate 100% of the transmission of torque to the wrist.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8906 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
For <$100 I'd go with Milwaukee:

Electric Screwdriver

Posts: 3044 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
That's a nice tool. If the screws and material are light enough, that unit would be good since there wouldn't be much torque transmitted to the hand anyway. With the driver, two batteries and a charger, that is a steal of a deal for that sale price. It's a layup.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8906 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Huge Japanese Makita fan, but I've been using a similar model Dewalt gyroscopic screwdriver for over 3 years now, I love the damn thing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6356 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigguy:
RYOBI USB Lithium System Screwdriver
Pivoting Head for Increased Access
Dual LEDs for Improved Visibility