SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I already have an air compressor, do I need a bigger one?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I already have an air compressor, do I need a bigger one? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have a pancake compressor and I had a roll around compressor. When the roll around did not have enough pressure to get the blades off my Zero turn, I bought a Quincy QT-54(a version of the QT 5). It works great, but have only used it about 10 times in 2 years.

I took my roll around to another pole building I have. It still is good for pumping up tires.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz

That picture alone was worth creating this thread just for the simple item of seeing how you hung your hose reel, mounting it to the board which is surely far easier than trying to screw it directly to the ceiling.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12965 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had a horizontal 20-gal, 2 hp Dayton Speedaire for years. Got it for free when we bought a full-sized van for towing from a friend. It just started making some knocking noise, so I bought a vertical Husky 60-gal, 3.7 hp compressor to replace it (both are oil bath).

And now I wonder why I didn't do that years ago.

New

The hose reel is mounted in line with the steps to the outside (we have no garage). 100' of hose lets us do anything we need in the yard or driveway. We have a 20 lb tank with another moisture filter and regulator we hook to the end of the line when we're painting something.

Old

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 720 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BRL:
That picture alone was worth creating this thread just for the simple item of seeing how you hung your hose reel, mounting it to the board which is surely far easier than trying to screw it directly to the ceiling.

The studs/joists are never in the right place for your needs. I use the "board" method many places. Screw the board to the studs and then go from there.

Posts: 10874 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
make sure it has WHEELS!! - I pulled a muscle in my lower back trying to move my compressor around last week. I want to do what henryaz did above, eventually. Very nice.

I had a larger compressor 60 gal/220v, bought many years ago when I did car restoration , the compressor finally wore out last year, the compressors alone are so expensive, I bought a new roll about 30 gal/110v Kobalt from Lowes instead, heaviest use I use it for now is my sandblast cabinet occassionaly.

I also have a small tankless compressor for tires, instead of turning on my Kobalt.

Most compressors get worn out from being undersized for the chore they are doing and running excessively and hot.

The portabiliy of a compressor with wheels is very handy. But be cautious ofvoltage drop using extension cords, that does lots of damage also. Get a heavy gauge extension cord.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'll use the Red Key
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I have a 30 gallon stand up Craftsman, use for tires and air blowing parts etc. The tank size is just enough to blow out my sprinkler system - takes about an hour of running. Cordless impacts have pretty much eliminated the need for home air impact use.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3819 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I would like to make a suggestion to the folks that have the upright 50/60 gallon types.
Strap it to the wall.
I had that 60 gallon craftsman oil less one.
It threw one rod,still running and it walked across the floor.Scattering pieces as it went.
I leave all my compressors powered up and ready to use.
Lesson learned.

Posts: 22420 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Stand up unit for the win. I have a Quincy QT-5, and have plumbed my entire garage with black pipe, risers, etc to three different manifolds. Each manifold is set to a different pressure (though they are adjustable, of course). For the reloading bench, I like about 40psi, for gun cleaning and other chores. For the workbench, I set about 60-70 so I don't blow stuff away too far, and over by the overhead door openings, 95 psi for air tools. The compressor outputs 175 psi. The entire system stays pressurized all the time. You'd be surprised how much you can use air when it is always available.

One of the manifolds:

Not to hijack this thread, but I like that setup. I've contemplated a manifold network myself. Did you put your system together Henry?

Beth Greene

Posts: 7846 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
Did you put your system together Henry?

Yes, twice. I used the tech tips and piping diagram from TP Tools as a guide. The first time, just the one manifold in the picture, and I wasn't too successful in making all of the joints leak-proof, so I couldn't keep it pressurized all the time. Then I discovered unions, and rebuilt the system in sections, joined together with unions. Two manifolds that time, and virtually leak free. I added the third manifold for the reloading bench (on the other side of the garage) at a later date. The black pipe together with the riser design make the air virtually moisture free at the manifolds. Luckily, one of the local hardware stores sells the pipe and also has a commercial-type threading die machine, so I can custom cut pieces and have them threaded for just the size I need. I like Loctite 561 PST sticks for the threads, on all NPT joints.

Posts: 10874 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
And whatever you do, stay away from "oiless" compressors.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post