SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Have you noticed an increase in idiotic/moronic product reviews on shopping sites?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you noticed an increase in idiotic/moronic product reviews on shopping sites? Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
They post this shit becaause they're hoping for a participation award. LOL

Smile

I find the Amazon reviews to be fairly useful, especially those by verified purchasers. But I keep my dolt filter engaged.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8993 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I typically don't read reviews but I have noticed an uptick in the number of stupid ad's on tv

half seem to be for booze, half seem to be for drugs and half seem to be for lawyers wanting to sue for using the drugs...

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53215 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
The Q/A section on Amazon is even worse.

Someone will post a question, and one or more jackasses will respond saying "I don't know, I bought this as a gift".

Why bother even responding?

They e-mail over and over if you have purchased the product and "might be able to help" answer a question of anther shopper. I've had this happen. Perhaps they are just responding to the e-mail ??

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10930 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
They e-mail over and over if you have purchased the product

I do the majority of my online shopping at Amazon, and I've never received an email like that. Maybe there's a setting somewhere that I have disabled?

Posts: 32538 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just purchased a Thermoworks Thermapen. I was going through the reviews on the website and found this little guy. Reviews would be great if the company replied and called out the person for their stupidity. Make me want to buy from Thermoworks even more.

***Disappointed

I purchased the Thermapen based on the claim that it only took 2-3 seconds
for a read. But both of mine slowly increment the reading over many seconds. I'd say about a minute. This is a huge disappointment. I wasted my money, as the quick read was the reason to purchase.

Response from ThermoWorks
As we understand it, you were attempting to measure the temperature of a hot mold (2000 lb. block of steel) with your Thermapen. As the Thermapen has a probe, it isn't the best tool for measuring surface temperatures.

If you’d like, our Technical Sales team would be happy to help you find a better solution for your requirements. They are available by emailing sales@thermoworks.com or by calling 1-800-393-6434.

Posts: 5426 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep getting requests to review pen needles for my insulin. Dude, it's a needle! I buy yours cause they cost half what the store brand costs. Injections are unpleasant regardless.

Also.....my daughter publishes on Amazon, has a dozen or so books out. Amazon refuses to publish my reviews of her books. I didn't tell them we were related. WTF?

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have you noticed an increase in idiotic/moronic product reviews on shopping sites?
No. They seem just as moronic as ever. Same morons reviewing UPS, FEDEX, USPS, etc instead of the product they received; reviewing a product they haven't used; too stupid to use the item correctly but give it a bad review; bad review even though they bought the wrong item (e.g. night sights for a P239 but they're clearly for P229); etc.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23304 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
We had this kid call into the shop for a PHONE QUOTE about replacing his u-joints in a 99 forerunner. When we got the truck in the shop we discovered that he had driven it for so long with a bad fron u-joint that it destroyed the front yoke of the drive shaft and the drive shaft itself. We located a used drive shaft for him ahd it delviered, replaced the u-joints and he picked up the truck. He was THRILLED we found the driveshaft as he couldn't find on in the state (Florida) and that we turned it around in three days. Shipping a driveshaft from out of state would've been costly and taken 5-7 days because of the length. He is a college student and his MOMMY paid for the repair.

He left us a 1 star review because the repair was twice as expensive as our PHONE ESTIMATE. Well, no shit Sherlock, we had to buy a used driveshaft and still repalce the u-joints. I guess he wanted us to give him the driveshaft for free. THAT review really hit a nerve with me.

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
They e-mail over and over if you have purchased the product

I do the majority of my online shopping at Amazon, and I've never received an email like that. Maybe there's a setting somewhere that I have disabled?
I've received a couple of emails from B&H Photo asking if I can respond to a customer question about the Moto G4 phone (I bought 3 in 4 months (1 for me, then others for family members).

Posts: 4011 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
I'm looking at this book on Amazon:

Pacific Thunder: The US Navy's Central Pacific Campaign, August 1943–October 1944

It only has three reviews. Ok, no problem. But one of the 5-star reviews is
"Item as described and arrived on time."

Gee, thanks. Really makes me want to buy this book.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4931 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Q/A section on Amazon is even worse.

Someone will post a question, and one or more jackasses will respond saying "I don't know, I bought this as a gift".

Why bother even responding?

This drives me nuts. Why take time out of your day to say "haven't opened it yet"

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I give this SigForum thread 2 1/2 stars,
there were not anywhere near enough cat pictures, in fact no pictures at all!

I don't think I would recommend this thread to cat people or picture lovers.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54681 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I have a love hate relationship with product reviews. I like them when the reviews are valid and meaningful.

But increasingly not only are the reviews idiotic like the OP but likely also fraudulent.

For example, I have a very difficult time believing some no name branded product, likely from PRC, has such a high number of 4 or 5 star reviews. I'm skeptical at best. I wouldn't be surprised if the reviews, including verified purchase, are actually just purchases by the PRC based company that are then just resold when somebody buys the product.

So, out of hundreds of reviews, I'm forced to scan product reviews for ones that are cogently written and sound legit and ignore all other reviews.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12747 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I give this SigForum thread 2 1/2 stars,
there were not anywhere near enough cat pictures, in fact no pictures at all!

I don't think I would recommend this thread to cat people or picture lovers.
3* review, but will you buy a Glock? Wink

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6219 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
its on my list , after an L.M.T. rifle a 9mm 1911 and a 10mm semi auto

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54681 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
Some of these examples are almost as bad as a gun review, and they haven't even shot the gun yet!

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1892 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
As some of you are aware, I've taken an interest in fly fishing of late. In looking on the Orvis website at the reviews for certain fly fishing vests, I came upon one by a lady who was very unhappy because when her husband tried it on, it only came down to around the bottom of his ribcage. As in, exactly where it was made to come to, in a wading jacket made for wading in streams and keeping your gear dry. I was able to suppress my urge to respond to her review, keeping in mind that old saying about wrasslin' with pigs.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The stupidest, most childish, non-sequitur waste of your time horse shit comments are to be found in the comments section below any story on the Fox News site. That place is a gigantic magnet for imbeciles.

Posts: 107685 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
Have you?

Why yes, and the dumb replies to questions asked.

Example: Just today, on Amazon, a question about the quality of a product.

The very first reply was...
"No idea, I didn't buy it" Roll Eyes

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post