SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mechanics, DIY guys, Gearheads and Greasemonkeys - what do you use for rags?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mechanics, DIY guys, Gearheads and Greasemonkeys - what do you use for rags? Login/Join 
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Soiled / stained French linen napkins from my busboy days are a winner.

At one time William Sonoma sold high quality discontinued dishcloths for 25¢ each, until they realized I was buying them for resale on eBay for $2 each ... I still have dozens stained from grilling / kitchen use, now grabbed freely for wrenching.

Also, a collection of old cloth napkins and dishtowels saved from the rubbish bin as relatives downsized or "changed the look" of their kitchens.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Went by NAPA today and got a 5 pound "Shades of Gray" bag-o-rags for $15. That'll do until I can find a source for the box of Wypalls.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PHPaul,

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Costco usually has the blue Scott paper towels in a big pack for a reasonable price. I don’t remember how many, but I think 10 or 12 rolls in a roll.

Posts: 418 | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sherwin Williams, paint stores usually have tee shirt material rags in nice rectangular strips. I usually cut them into 3 or 4 smaller rags.

Posts: 278 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Yard sale, you can get shirts for a dollar apiece.

Use em, wash em and don’t let the wife see you do it.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11277 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
That'll do until I can find a source for the box of Wypalls.

Paul, are you looking for Wypall specifically? My local Fastenal carries the brand... do you have a branch nearby?

God bless America.

Posts: 13495 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
That'll do until I can find a source for the box of Wypalls.

Paul, are you looking for Wypall specifically? My local Fastenal carries the brand... do you have a branch nearby?

I watched a video (here?) that compared several brands and Wypall was the best bang for the buck IMHO.

We did have a Fastenal, I'm not sure if it's still there or not. I think it's also wholesale only, but I'll check the next time I'm in town.

Thanks for the tip!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
The Cat wipes I get from work are Wypall.
https://parts.cat.com/en/catco...-and-wipers/267-6535

I've been using those for years.
A box of 100 will last me several big jobs and one will make a bunch of patches.

We have bins of the red shop rags but those are just for general clean up.
I'll take take used wipes and brake clean them off to use for general cleanup on tools and such as the red rags will just smear stuff around.

Posts: 1477 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post