SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best Kitchen Knives-Buy Once, Cry Once budget
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Kitchen Knives-Buy Once, Cry Once budget Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Gosh, you folks have some nice (and expensive ) knives. I have Chicago Cutlery, all with wooden handles, all High carbon stainless steel, all made in the USA.

I believe we have only one serrated blade in the house-it's a Chicago Cutlery, but rarely gets used.

I know yours are much prettier, but mine seem to cut anything I want and we are getting too old to even think about buying new kitchen stuff.

Bob

Posts: 1671 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
We have a mismash of different brands and styles here for our kitchen chores:

Yoshikane
210mm (8 1/2") Wa-Gyuto rust resistant Tsuchime SKD 11 (~D2) die steel center layer, Hrc 64, forged between two layers of soft SUS-405 stainless steel (San Mai), 0.20" thick 1.75" wide distal tapered blade, double bevel edge 70/30*, Magnolia / Ho wood right-handed “D” shaped handle with Buffalo horn ferrule

Spyderco - Masahiro
#K02 Pro Culinaire Chef’s French Knife PE MBS-26 steel (Masahiro made) w/Sermollan polymer handle 239mm - 9 7/16" 136g- 4.8oz
#K04 Pro Culinaire Chef’s Utility Knife SE MBS-26 steel (Masahiro made) w/Sermollan polymer handle 162mm - 6.5" 57g - 2oz
#K05 Pro Culinaire Chef’s Paring Knife SE MBS-26 steel (Masahiro made) w/Sermollan polymer handle 116mm - 4.5" 43g - 1.5oz
#K08 Pro Culinaire Santoku Knife MBS-26 steel (Masahiro made) w/Sermollan polymer handle 174mm - 6 7/8" 140g - 5 oz

Tramontina
Limited Editions Forged Damascus 4 knife chef's set 66 layer VG-10 core convex edged with pakkawood handles
8" Chef's Knife
7" Santoku
6" Utility
4" Paring
Professional Series 8" Chef’s Cook knife hot-dropped forged high-carbon chrome molybdenum steel #C-403/08
Professional Series 4" Chef’s Paring knife #C-402/04

Wusthof
Gourmet Crust Buster Model 4517-26 X50CrMo15 10" 260mm

Sky Light
#C-6817A Classic Chinese Utility Cleaver 7" x 3.14", 17° bevels, German X50CrMoV15 Stainless RC58

Tarhong
#SLKF018 Chinese Ping (vegetable) Cleaver 8.5" x 4.25" Carbon Steel

Kyocera
Ceramic 4 1/4" Fruit knife

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16507 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I got a small set of Wusthoff recently and wow. Super impressed.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2040 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by senza nome:
Is your wife going to use them? ... If so you're probably wasting your money. Eek

Yeah, I gave up buying good knives (Wusthoff mostly), couldn't keep them sharp. I have a couple of good ones stashed away for the rare times I need to prepare food. She buys her own now, name brands but cheaper ones, and when they're dull she buys another set.

There is a wusthoff chefmate sharpener. Always sharp....

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2040 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orthogonal
posted Hide Post
I would recommend that this short article below on fine knife steels be read in totality before purchasing any very good knives. The company's premier selection is felt by many critics to be the current best for purpose, at least until a superior one is metallurgicallly engineered.

https://www.newwestknifeworks....-cutlery-steel-s35vn

New West Knife Works' top of their line uses this CPM steel in their G-Fusion kitchen knives, as, of course, some other companies do also.

Smile

Posts: 519 | Registered: May 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
7"?

Yes, 7".
Thanks for the recommendation and Merry Christmas!

You'll have to give us a range report once you get it! Big Grin

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
I have a couple Zwilling J.A. Henckels Twin Cermax knives I got years ago at one of their annual warehouse sales in NY. Twin Cermax M66 blades are crafted in Japan and like scalpels I need to keep in their boxes to protect my fingers as much as their edges. They’re on Amazon now for $159 & $199. I paid $59 & $69 because the boxes were scuffed up.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P210,

Posts: 6960 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter1:
Gosh, you folks have some nice (and expensive ) knives. I have Chicago Cutlery, all with wooden handles, all High carbon stainless steel, all made in the USA.

I believe we have only one serrated blade in the house-it's a Chicago Cutlery, but rarely gets used.

I know yours are much prettier, but mine seem to cut anything I want and we are getting too old to even think about buying new kitchen stuff.

Bob

I’m with you, Bob. I like wooden hafts, which provide a nonslip grip even while wet. My old US-made Chicago Cutlery knives:

42S – 8” Chef’s knife
62S – 5” boning/utility knife
100S – 3” paring knife

The 62S has a haft of good size, and is my most-used knife.

I’m sure that the hi-tech knives hold an edge better than my old ones. But no matter – I have four DMT diamond bench stones, in four grits, that make edge maintenance easy. Each has an 11-1/2” x 2-1/2” working surface for long, smooth strokes.

I have to admit that my old Chicago Cutlery 10” bread knife was prone to scattering crumbs. My newer Tojiro bread knife is much better in that regard.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9429 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig77:
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by senza nome:
Is your wife going to use them? ... If so you're probably wasting your money. Eek

Yeah, I gave up buying good knives (Wusthoff mostly), couldn't keep them sharp. I have a couple of good ones stashed away for the rare times I need to prepare food. She buys her own now, name brands but cheaper ones, and when they're dull she buys another set.

There is a wusthoff chefmate sharpener. Always sharp....

I no longer bother with sharpening the knives she uses. She dulls them very quickly, so I let her manage her own knife collection. Heck, I'd be running the sharpener every week. I do have a Chef's Choice sharpener, but since I take good care of the two knives I use, I rarely need it any more.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10874 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm the only one around here that likes French knives like Sabatier?

I have German chef knives, both the traditional German chef style and Santoku style but there something about the French style ones I really like too.

Stainless steel, not carbon which is too much of a PITA to maintain:

Sabatier Stainless Steel Traditional French Pattern Knives

Posts: 34514 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
I have a drawer full of Henkels, a few Wustoff, a Trident here and there.
I was in foodservice for quite a while.
Any one of those brands will serve you well, as will Victronox, F. Dick.
It's not so much the knife, but more the hand holding it.
Also buying a selection of knives is part of a system. A good sharpening stone(s), and knowing how to use them is necessary as is a butcher's steel, and a finishing ceramic steel.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neel:
I have a drawer full of Henkels, a few Wustoff, a Trident here and there.
<snip>

I, too, keep my kitchen knives in a drawer – butcher blocks take too much valuable counter space. I make sheaths from thin, dense cardboard.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9429 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:

I, too, keep my kitchen knives in a drawer – butcher blocks take too much valuable counter space. I make sheaths from thin, dense cardboard.

Yeah, several drawers for us. Wife bought some "quilted" sheaths that a few of them go in, and the big-ass cleaver is in the heavy cardboard sheath it came in. We also don't have a set but rather individual knives acquired over the years. Looking to add a Santoku and a carving knife but no urgent need at this point.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
These work well if you prefer to keep knives in a drawer.

Posts: 6960 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post