SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help with organizing a fundraiser
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with organizing a fundraiser Login/Join 
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted
as some of you know, my wife is a huge animal advocate (we both are, but she's actively participates in the "cause"); deputy district 2 leader with the Humane Society of the United States, was a board member of the Animal Legal Defense Fund in law school, interned with the ADA solely handling animal abuse cases at the Philadelphia District Attorney’s Office, etc.

Anyways, as if she weren't busy enough, she is organizing a 5k where 100% of the money raised goes to a local shelter.

The reason for the post: Have any of you guys organized something like this? We (she) is putting an enormous amount of time into this, and we are putting a fair chunk of money into getting it going as well. How do we ensure people show up? She's worried after all this time and money, it'll be a flop. I was thinking as the event gets closer maybe reach out to local news stations? The event will be taking place 5 miles outside center city philadelphia, so there are plenty of people around, it's just a matter of a) getting them there, and b) getting money donated. A client of mine is doing the logo design for free, we paid out of pocket for the mailers and postage, I'm assuming she is planning on paying out of pocket for the t-shirts

Any advice is welcome and appreciated!

here is our website: https://www.doggodash.com/home

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
No help on organizing the effort but I do not care for the website or name. Think you could do much better there which would help the effort.

Is it a multi animal fundraiser? Cats?

Good of you guys to do. I just think you have a ways to go to make it successful.

Partner with other organizations maybe?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19702 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
No help on organizing the effort but I do not care for the website or name. Think you could do much better there which would help the effort.

Is it a multi animal fundraiser? Cats?

Good of you guys to do. I just think you have a ways to go to make it successful.

Partner with other organizations maybe?

yea I'm not a huge fan of the name either, but it kind of is what it is at this point, it's on the permits, etc.

Morris is an AMAZING shelter, they take in dogs, cats, birds, basically any small animal. They haven't put an animal down in something like 20 years. I donate to them often.. I'm debating bringing one of the cats in one of those astronaut bags Razz

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Seems like the Humane Society might be able to put her in touch with someone with experience in such events? It's been done successfully countless times before, she just needs someone to share the knowledge with her on how it's done. I know we can offer suggestions and tips, but there's bound to be a known, pretty complete formula for how to pull this off that she can follow.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
Reach out to the running clubs (of which there are many) in Philly. You can get a list of most by checking out the website for the Mayor's Cup.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1463 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pizza Bob:
Reach out to the running clubs (of which there are many) in Philly. You can get a list of most by checking out the website for the Mayor's Cup.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

good idea! didn't think of running clubs. As for the humane society, they're so under staffed it's nearly impossible to get help from them on nearly anything

├┼┼╕
246R