SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Maybe the dumbest computer question of all time
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Maybe the dumbest computer question of all time Login/Join 
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted
But I don't know much about them.

My Dell desktop PC was making vibrations when the D drive rips or burns a disc. Figured out it was the sheetmetal on the fixed side rattling on some supports. I wedged in a rubber shim and I think that will take care of the airplane taking off sound.

Question: Under the removable side panel is a door switch. What's it for. I can't see any difference with the PC running with the door removed or back on ????

Posts: 6321 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:
Question: Under the removable side panel is a door switch. What's it for. I can't see any difference with the PC running with the door removed or back on ????

It's a security thing. If you watch closely when you boot the thing you may notice a warning message that the machine had been opened. You have to go into the BIOS to reset it. (May be able to reset it with a mechanism called "IPMI" [Intelligent Platform Management Interface], too, if the hardware supports it.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
A door switch?

Removed or back on?

I don't understand.

The case (the metal box that holds all of the computer bits) is simply there to contain everything and guard against damage. It doesn't actually do anything. You can run the PC without the removable panels and it will be fine.

-Rob

ETA: Oh. That. Gotcha. What ensigmatic said in that case.

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16273 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
A door switch?

Removed or back on?

I don't understand.

The case (the metal box that holds all of the computer bits) is simply there to contain everything and guard against damage. It doesn't actually do anything. You can run the PC without the removable panels and it will be fine.

-Rob

ETA: Oh. That. Gotcha. What ensigmatic said in that case.

I once tossed a bunch of spare parts together in a cardboard shipping box with a cracked copy of Windows 2000 (Yar!) for funsies. I don't think I ever actually took it apart... might be time to go digging around...

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17007 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
It's an IT thing in corporate environments to let admins know if users are mucking with the hardware.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6220 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Some computers ~ mostly server boxes today will have a switch to signal the case is opened for security reasons.
I don't recall seeing it on desktop computers now days though.

Posts: 22943 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I followed the wires back to the mother board. There behind other wires it says INTRUDER by the socket.

My side panel is still off and the rubber shim wedged on the other side sheetmetal quiets the thing right up. Runs like a charm.

Another question
What is this Windows 10 Creator they seem to be pushing

Posts: 6321 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Creators Update is the next feature release for Windows 10. Version 1703. Part of the new servicing model where they're just going to roll features into Windows 10 (and cause havoc for corporate users in the process)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/features

Posts: 343 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: April 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DBabsJr:
Creators Update is the next feature release for Windows 10. Version 1703. Part of the new servicing model where they're just going to roll features into Windows 10 (and cause havoc for corporate users in the process)

Not certain how that's germane to the original question...?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Another question

It was added as another question later...

Posts: 343 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: April 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Another question

It was added as another question later...

So it was. My bad.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

Not certain how that's germane to the original question...?

Well, the thread is "Maybe the dumbest ....." . Eek

Posts: 22943 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Creators is Probably more crap than I need or want to deal with.

Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know where the "any" key is? I've been looking for that key on keyboards for years.

Yeah...bad...I know. I'm stuck in the office, bored silly, with a distinct lack of coffee availability. Razz

Posts: 1605 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Let me get this straight. You have an optical disc drive? Eek

As to your actual question, if this is a work/company owned PC, be careful messing around with it. I used to work for EDS years ago, and installing software or attempting any sort of PC repair was a guarantee way to get written up. Everything done to those machines had to be handled by the IT department. Just an FYI.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
The OP question doesn't even crack my top 10 list of stupid computer questions.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3854 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
and you do not start the computer by stepping on the mouse - contrary to popular belief, its not a floor switch

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53232 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
Why would one want to rip or burn a disc? That sounds somewhat dangerous.

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post