SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any Subaru Crosstrek owners?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Subaru Crosstrek owners? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My wife has a 2014 Mazda CX-5 that has 65,000 miles and has been bulletproof. Over 30 mpg and very peppy. I, on the other hand, have a 2017 Subaru Outback with the 4 cyl engine. When forced by my wife to trade my beloved 4-Runner with 234K miles, the Outback was the closest thing I could find to the Toyota, not being a fan of the new larger 4-Runners. I considered the 6 cyl Outback but like most reviewers, found it to be only minimally more powerful than the 4. I know nothing about the Crosstrek but there is a reason you see so many Outbacks on the road, it is a great vehicle. Most of my driving is interstate and I have never felt under-powered. It too gets 30 mpg and has a softer quieter ride than my wife's Mazda. Lots of room in the back seat if you are carrying guests. Plenty of room for shooting gear in the cargo area. If the added tariff of the Outback over the Crosstrek is not an issue, I think you'd like the Outback.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
If you don't need the extra ground clearance (I do) get an Imprezza. Another thing going for the Crosstrek is they're manufactured in Japan.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7110 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Given the 2 options.

Mazda 3 2.5l 6MT hatch would be my vote. Absolute blast of a 'warm' hatch.

I tested a Crosstrek when they first came out & was disappointed with the performance & the manual had the shift throws of a truck. I did like the way it drove & rode, just needed a bit of STI treatment & it's have been a blast.

ETA: If considering the 2.0l Mazda rather than the 2.5, it's still got some pep, and should return better MPG.

Either way, I vote for the Mazda with a 6MT.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P250UA5,

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15365 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
We have owned perhaps a dozen Mazda's and Subie's.

IMHO both vehicles are great and with a little love will last a long time. We usually run them 150K or so before selling them.

To me if you want AWD get the Subie if not get the Mazda for slightly better mileage. My wife will be getting a new car when her MB gets up to about 150 and she mentioned going back to the Subie. Her last one was the Legacy GT with a nicely turbocharged engine putting out about 250 HP...It was a little sleeper!

Either way you can't go wrong.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6331 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thank you all for the info. Good to know and seems about an even split, which is what I figured. I currently drive a 4cyl s10, so no power is nothing new. Good mileage, a lockable cargo area and room for an actual passenger are my current selling points. Figure most likely the back seats will spend most of their time folded.
I like the height as well for easy in & out, especially with parents that are about to hit 70. My mom especially has trouble with either sedan level low or 4x4 high getting in and out, but she is 5-4. I figure I will start needing to drive them for appointments and such in the time frame I plan to have whatever I buy next.
Rogue, I assume we are of a similar build if you have trouble fitting (6'-2", 245) in a smaller car.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2747 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
Rogue, I assume we are of a similar build if you have trouble fitting (6'-2", 245) in a smaller car.

Yep.

The Forester and Outback both have plenty of room. The Crosstrek was just big enough to ride in as a passenger and I could adjust the driver's seat to be able to drive it comfortably. The Impreza/WRX is a bit too small for me to ride in comfortably as a passenger, but the driver's seat has enough adjustment that I can drive it without issue (with the seat all the way down and nearly all the way back).

quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
Good mileage, a lockable cargo area and room for an actual passenger are my current selling points.

Then I would strongly suggest taking a hard look at the Outback and Forester. They both have hatchback cargo areas like the Crosstrek, and similar fuel economy to the Crosstrek, but both have noticeably more power and more interior space and cargo space than the Crosstrek.

The Forester feels more like driving a SUV. The Outback feels more like driving a car. Try them both and see which you prefer.

Posts: 32543 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The few suvs I've driven have felt boxy & cumbersome to me. I was actually looking for something closer to a car, hence the crosstrek. Appreciate the info.

Posts: 2747 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
Wife has a Crosstrek and absolutely loves it. It takes her wherever she wants to go, and speed really isn't an issue for her. She's even taken it on a couple of Forest Service roads that I was amazed she made it through.

I do light service, and it may be common to all Subies, but I would love to buy a sake for the engineer that designed their oil system. Putting the filter on top of the engine with a spill tray around it is genius, and the rest is very easy to work on.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
My stepdaughter got the yellow one last December and she love it. However, this is her first car. So, she can't really describe what she like. We suggested this model because she live in North Carolina. The AWD is what she needed for the snow season.

Wife currently drive our 2012 GTI as her daily driver. She is used to the quick acceleration of the GTI. We started looking at the Subaru Crosstrek last month. As mentioned, the engine HP and torque is a concern, especially if this car is loaded with 4-5 adults. It will be slow to accelerate. But I'm sure it will perform great once the car is up to the desired speed.

Still debating on a 2018 GTI or 2018 Crosstrek. Have to get one for the wife before I start school in January. I need to use the old GTI to commute to school, then straight to work.

quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
I'd buy a new Crosstrek in a heartbeat. Love the improvements over the old version. Only negative I've heard is the 2.0 can be a little underpowered, but just last week I was cruising 75mph (actual) up a mountain and a new Crosstrek passed me so they can't be TOO under powered.
My sister just traded her 2016 Mazda 3 hatchback for a 2019 Crosstrek and loves it.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
RE: The Forester
My mom's mom had something like an '07 Forester XT. Definitely not cumbersome & a blast on a twisty road (going through the AZ gorge bit of I15 between Vegas & St George was a fun time). Not sure how the newer Foresters compare.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15365 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got a fully loaded 2017 Crosstrek last May (pre-owned but only 9700 miles on it) and it minty condition. My previous car is now being used by my son at college, a 2009 Mazda 3 hatchback with about 105k miles on it. Doing fine.

I like hatchbacks and the Crosstrek is basically a "hatchback on steroids." I really like how the crosstreks, steers, and its reliability and sterling reputation for mechanical soundness. My fully loaded version has a cream leather interior, great sound system, the driver-assist "eyesight" system, alloy wheels, and moonroof. I also like being higher off the ground, the head and foot room, and how it looks.

Cons: yes, the engine is a bit under-powered and loud. Not a lot, but yes, it is not peppy nor quiet ride. Better gas mileage by far over my Mazda 3 (my only real complaint about the Mazda 3). I get 34 on the highway and 24-25 for strictly suburb driving with lots of traffic lights.

Posts: 3539 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
Batty67, did it take time to get used to the noise and a bit of under-power? Also, how is the AC in the rear seats? I noticed on the 2018 models in the dealership lots don't have AC vents behind the driver mid-console (the GTI have AC vents in this area). Does the floor AC ducts (if any) on the CrossTrek cool down the rear passenger area?

quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:
I got a fully loaded 2017 Crosstrek last May (pre-owned but only 9700 miles on it) and it minty condition. My previous car is now being used by my son at college, a 2009 Mazda 3 hatchback with about 105k miles on it. Doing fine.

Cons: yes, the engine is a bit under-powered and loud. Not a lot, but yes, it is not peppy nor quiet ride. Better gas mileage by far over my Mazda 3 (my only real complaint about the Mazda 3). I get 34 on the highway and 24-25 for strictly suburb driving with lots of traffic lights.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ador:

Underpowered slightly took a bit (not a lot) to get used to. It's not like it is poor, just "meh". I'm almost 51 so driving a quick car is not that important to me anymore. The noise. Nope. It can get somewhat noisy when trying to accelerate quickly, but same issue, it is "only" slightly, noticeably noisy at times.

The front cabin temperature control is superb (for you in LV), but honestly, I have not had many folks ride in the back and I have not, so I can't say much about how good the backseat airflow is.

Posts: 3539 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
The newer Subarus (‘18-‘19) have a lot more sound insulation. Engine noise is not bad at all.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10495 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
Had a crosstrek as a rental once and felt it was a little under powered compared to the 2.5 legacy I own.

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I WANT WANT WANT the Crosstrek!

They're just outright PROUD of them!

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39769 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
If I was looking for a new car with my limited budget I would consider the CT. But as "Pessimist" indicated their track record for 4 cyl. reliability has not be good. The Forester being the latest. I would need someone I trust to convince me that they have figured it out.

What kind of a price our you considering paying for one? If they are $25k I would get the Toyota Rav4 without hesitation.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19225 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
You know the Rav4 and the CRV are old fart cars? I mean like you've just had a stroke or you're going to have cataract surgery soon kind of cars.

You trying to drive the part?

Posts: 4086 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Gee flb, never crossed my mind. Glad to be enlightened by you. I see many of all ages driving both. I like the Rav4. Has some capabilities that I would find useful.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19225 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was looking to be under $25k. Figured it should be doable with the stick (which I want anyway) and a supplier discount from work. I like Japanese over built in Mexico like the Mazda, but that is a small thing as both are still imports.
I figured a crosstrek and a Mazda 3 touring hatch would be about equal $ wise, or close enough to not be a factor. It will be purely which I like better and which dealership is least asshole like. I do like that I can get an up trim crosstrek without being forced to also get a sunroof, unlike a Mazda (mazda REQUIRES the upgrade package for satellite radio, sunroof and Bose audio on all touring or higher trim with a manual, but NOT the auto. EXTRA $1500.). I don't want to add weight to a car (Mazda) that is supposed to be the best handling vehicle in the segment, especially if I am going to do tires, wheels and suspension in hopes of increasing that handling.

Motors are basically even @ 2.0l & roughly 150 up through a 6spd manual with the base model Mazda. Touring gets me a 2.5 and 30 extra ponies, but also leather(ish), sunroof, satellite and decreased mileage (still over 30 easily, but less is less) I don't want or want to eat the cost for. Touring with cloth and no sunroof add on would probably put it out in front, but...
All wheel drive and ground clearance vs fwd and handling (lowered, most likely). Both would get similar additions with rims & tires, factory rims for winter tires.