SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How did you cook your bird today?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How did you cook your bird today? Login/Join 
Picture of p08
posted
I did a light dry salt brine in the fridge for 24 hours. Wife brushed the salt off, seasoned and put it in the oven. Came out great!

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
We gathered at my sisters house, like we do every year for Thanksgiving. She cooks the turkey the way our mother did, and grandma before her: light rub of black pepper and salt, stuffed with homemade stuffing, and roasted in the oven…delicious!

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We ate with friends who cooked the bird on a big easy. Crispy skin, moist inside, cooked to 165*.

Posts: 3594 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Conventional. Stuffed w oranges and apples and onions and lotsa seasoning. AND Buttered skin.
4 hours at 350 til 155 degrees. That one was for turkey sammiches all this week.
The one for dinner was bought already cooked.

Posts: 268 | Location: SE Georgia | Registered: December 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We cooked our duck-yep, a duck-in the oven for about 2.5 hours at 350. We made sure to score the skin and made a dressing recipe that my grandmother was making since , I guess, before 1920.

Nothing fancy, just good. Added cranberry sauce and a cherry pie with vanilla ice cream on top and we were satiated.

The duck came out perfect, BTW, and we still have some for leftovers tomorrow and lots of the dressing.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Brined, buttered & baked.
Turned out pretty well.

Brine was 1 gal veg stock, 1 cup kosher salt, 1/2 cup brown sugar, black peppercorn & allspice berry. Added 1 gal iced water & soaked the bird overnight.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
It'll be 2 birds tomorrow. Kids were traveling today. 2 23 lb birds, mesquite smoked. Olive oil rub.

Posts: 4018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
In a skillet, in which it identified as a pot roast.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
We had pizza.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
Just the two of us, so I picked up one of the Boar's Head precooked breasts that were about a pound and a half. Perfectly seasoned, delicious, and just needed reheated for a little bit.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We did 2 birds today. I bought a pellet grill a few months back and wanted to smoke one. The wife wanted my traditional turkey so I made both. The traditional is an apple cider brined, oven roasted recipe. Search Anne Burrell Apple cider turkey and you’ll find it. That one has turned out great each year for I think the past 10 years.

The smoked bird, well let’s just say that’ll be the one I make going forward. I cheated and bought a brine mix from Lanes BBQ. Brined, spatchcocked and put a rub on it. Went at 225 for 1.5 hours for the smoke flavor then at 350 until 160 IT. Our dinner crowd overwhelmingly chose this bird.

Posts: 2157 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
stuffed with apple/onion/carrots/celery, scored the skin, low temp/200 over night.

ez to carve, separate drumstick/wings, very tender.

Posts: 2213 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRBTX:
We ate with friends who cooked the bird on a big easy. Crispy skin, moist inside, cooked to 165*.

My first time using a Big Easy. About 2 hours cook time for a 13lb bird. Coat of olive oil and salt/pepper. Pulled it at about 158°.
Came out great. Crispy skin, meat was juicy and tender.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
The main turkey was oven roasted. I brined and deep fried just a bone in breast. That was my test turkey as I’ve never brined or deep fried before and I didn’t want to ruin the main dish. It turned out so well that next year we will deep fry the main bird.

Posts: 1696 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Deep fried Cajun turkey. Delicious!

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
22 lb turkey, brined 21 hours in Thomas Keller's poultry brine recipe. 3 hours on the counter to bring to room temp. Oil on the skin and into the oven at 500 degrees for 30 minutes and another 3.5ish hours at 350 degrees. Pulled from oven at 161 degrees, carryover cook for about 40 minutes, hitting a peak internal temp of 167 and cooling back down to 161 before carving. I disassemble the bird onto a large serving board.

I also smoked ribs instead of doing a ham.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No turkey yesterday, I smoked a lamb leg.
Rubbed it down Wednesday night and got it on the Weber late morning. Turned out awesome.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
We did the usual salt and brown sugar brine on a couple of whole turkey breasts, rubbed them with butter, and cooked them in the air fryer. I normally cook them on the PK grill with hardwood lump charcoal, but this was the first year we had an air fryer. They tasted great, and it was so easy, but I still like the grill better.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
Another cajun deep fry. Sometimes I forget that other people cook turkeys differently though I don’t understand why.

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
We wanted to go shooting, then shoot the breeze with friends, so we put it in the Crock Pot.

Came out great.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post