SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    American Somewhat Reasonable Wagyu type ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

American Somewhat Reasonable Wagyu type ? Login/Join 
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted
Is there an American beef type or company with marbled steaks that look like Japanese Wagyu ?
Saw an article and glanced at Amazon just for kicks - Two and Three hundred dollars for a steak or two.

Is there something similar in American for 25 or 50 bucks a steak ? I've had Omaha and they're ok but nothing too special.

Just dreaming...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Snake River Farms. Reasonable pricing, two American Wagyu grades to choose from. The Black Grade is plenty good enough!

Omaha is the crappiest of the crappy.

eta - no need to find locally, they ship for $10, free over certain limits at times. Lots of periodic decent promotions and new user discounts.

snakeriverfarms.com

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12427 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
I have seen the Snake River Farms Wagyu at our local QFC/Kroger store. Don't recall the price per pound but the next time I stop in to shop I will make note and take a photo.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Heartbrand beef from Akaushi cattle exported from Japan decades ago to start a herd in the US, and raised in TX

https://heartbrandbeef.com/pro...heartbrand-x-ribeye/

Ive had it (strip and fillet) at restaurants when I lived in TX and its incredible.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Snake River Farms. Reasonable pricing, two American Wagyu grades to choose from. The Black Grade is plenty good enough!

eta - no need to find locally, they ship for $10, free over certain limits at times. Lots of periodic decent promotions and new user discounts.

snakeriverfarms.com

Another vote for Snake River Farms. Our local Fry's Supermarket carries it on a regular basis and they taste great. Still got a few in the freezer.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Grandwestern and Kobe Club

are both good. Australian, American, and the real stuff.

Posts: 3459 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I have a good stock of SRF stuff in the freezer right now. Don't overlook their offerings from Double R Ranch which is not American Wagyu but just some quality Angus beef. I have purchased their prime grade rib eyes and they are great. Some good deals can be had on that side of the web site as well. SRF customer service is great. The last Wagyu black grade brisket I bought had a larger fat cap on it than I thought I should be paying for.

Took a pic emailed it to them and politely told them that I felt that was more fat than I should have to pay for considering I'm paying premium prices. They refunded me a good portion of the purchase price.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8534 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
I get mine from Costco and they are always delicious. Usually a pack of four tenderloin filets is about $75 and they are decent sized.

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My boss has a competition bar-b-que team and he buys snakeriver brisket for his competitions. Good stuff, he brought me some leftovers!!

Nick
nick_mur

Posts: 98 | Location: Peoria IL | Registered: December 17, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you do not mind, here is an interesting article I read a few months ago prior to taking my wife to a nice local restaurant that claimed to serve Wagyu. It was important to me to have a firm understand of what Wagyu was so that I could appreciate what I planned to order.

Of course, after reading this article I understood that what they were serving was only Wagyu in the most broad of ways. I would caution that anything available here in the US is unlikely to be of 100% Wagyu stock and, if the article is to be believed, will be less then fifty percent Japanese.

Wagyu Beef vs. Kobe
The Big Beef Debate: Breaking Down Kobe and Wagyu Beef

https://www.thespruceeats.com/...beef-vs-kobe-5090422

Kobe. Wagyu. Everyone's heard of them, speaks the words with reverence as a descriptive preface before more commonplace terms like burgers, meatballs, and steak. And yet…how many people really know what these fancy, gold-plated, caviar-crown (as opposed to health haloed) terms really denote? And how many of us are being willfully deceived, turned into victims of overpriced food fraud, thanks to the lack of protected terminology in food labeling here in America?

Well, we can answer both of those questions today as we break down what on earth Wagyu cattle and Kobe beef mean, and why—when you hear folks use the terms interchangeably—in Inigo Montoya's words, "I do not think it means what you think it means."

Featured Video

What are the Differences Between Yams and Sweet Potatoes?

Why the Obsession?

Ironically, most Americans, with our emphasis on lean meats and an 80s-indoctrinated aversion to fat, would not find Wagyu beef appealing at first glance. We're used to seeing the supple, purplish-tinged filet mignon as the creme de la creme cut, a theatrical tomahawk ribeye with bright red flesh and clearly separated cream fat sections as a mealtime piece de la resistance. But raw Wagyu cuts so praised for their rich flavor due to the higher levels of marbling present in those cattle breeds, look distinctly different.

To those familiar with the culinary technique, it looks like beef wrapped in caul fat, which is "the thin, lacy membrane of an animal surrounding the internal organs." To those who aren't, it's like seeing meat wrapped in a fatty cobweb. Neither of which is appealing to the common American diner, who has been raised on lean sirloins and other neatly trimmed red meats with well-defined fat caps.

But as "foodie" culture took hold, Wagyu and Kobe became buzzwords in much the same way the addition of (imitation) truffle made bar food gastro-pub gourmet. No one really understood what it was exactly, just that it was better, more elevated…and they wanted it.

The real skinny on this extra-fatty type of beef, though, is that it's renowned for that lovely dispersion of light fat that lends itself to that netted appearance that breaks down at a lower melting point than human body temperature, dissolving even as it floods your mouth with flavor. As it renders down, it creates richness and succulence that penetrates every bite due to its even distribution, giving the meat a tenderness and depth of flavor that has made it so prized around the world. Additionally, the meat texture is supposed to be finer, more supple, creating a real melt-in-your-mouth sensation even as the taste expands throughout it.

Beyond just taste experience, there are health benefits, too. Wagyu has a higher concentration of omega-3 and omega-6 than other breeds—as high as that of olive oil and wild salmon—and is high in good monosaturated fats and conjugated linoleic acid. As if we needed more reason to crave this cattle more!

What Is Wagyu?

First things first: all Kobe is Wagyu, but very little Wagyu is Kobe. The answer to why is quite simple: Wagyu means "Japanese cow," specifically Japanese Black, Brown, Shorthorn, and Polled genotypes, which are genetically predisposed to develop fat inside the muscle tissue. All four were deemed national treasures and banned for export until 1997.

However, as all forbidden fruit goes, there's always a way for the wealthy to find a sample on their plates, and this type of cattle was no exception. Previous to the blanket ban, some embryos and livestock had already been exported to the United States, whose breeders then sold to Australian producers. In the vacuum left by the Japanese and the demand created by its rarity and quality, Australia answered by becoming the largest producers of these cattle worldwide (outside of Japan) and building economic strength in this sector through export.

Now that we've clarified that, let's complicate it: all Wagyu may technically Wagyu, but not all Wagyu is all Wagyu.

Just because it may have that label slapped on it does not mean it's created equally. Breeders will often muddy their bloodlines, cross-breeding Wagyu cattle with more common types for hardiness and profitability. According to Kimio Osawa, Japanese beef expert and founder of wholesale supplier Osawa Enterprises, "Over 95% of Australian Wagyu cattle are crossbred with other breeds," making them technically no longer full Wagyu.

Then there's a classic nature vs. nurture scenario. Although these prized cattle live their three years of life—as opposed to the typical 15-month lifespan of conventional beef—in relative luxury whether they're raised in Australia or Japan (in a low-stress environment and pampered in ways to maximize quality marbling), certification is stricter in Japan than in Australia. In both cases, they're grain-fed, but of course, with the different seasons and types of grass, pasture affects flavor.

The only time, however, you can be absolutely certain your Wagyu is Wagyu? Well, that's where Kobe comes in.

What Is Kobe?

The short answer? The Beluga caviar of that surf's turf.

In order to be called Kobe beef, a specific set of criteria must be met. First and foremost, it must come from Tajima cattle—a type of Japanese Black—and even more restrictively, must be descended from one of that government's 12 ideal bulls. The calves must also be born, fed, and processed in the Hyogo prefecture. Additionally, it must spend at least 26 months being fed to reach a gross weight of around 1,036 pounds of produced meat…but no more. So naturally, that culls down the supply in several ways, while demand remains what it is.

Then, that meat that it provides has to be scored and graded to at least A4 yield level (out of A5; this is more for breeders) and Beef Marbling Standard (BMS) rating of 6 (out of 12). To put this in context, Joe Heitzeberg, CEO of Crowd Cow explains, "In the U.S. system, we have four grades, from select choice to prime. A4 and A5 pick up where Prime leaves off and goes beyond." And although these Tajimas have the genetic predisposition to marble to this standard, still only half the certified slaughtered cattle make the "grade." The annual yield sits at less than what one mid-sized domestic ranch would produce.

Lastly, as visually distinct as it already is, it's then marked with a Japanese chrysanthemum to ensure authenticity.

Economics aside, however, the reason this very, very painstakingly specific type of beef is even more coveted than general Wagyu derives from the aforementioned rating system. Kobe beef consistently scores this phenomenally; domestic Wagyu or hybrids reach 6 to 9 on the BMS scale while Kobe typically reaches 10, despite 6 being the minimum. Now imagine the juiciest, most tender, velvety steak you've ever had and realize that it was likely a Prime cut…which is only ranked a 4. Then you can really begin to understand why Kobe is clearly king.

Have I Had Real Kobe or Wagyu?

Hate to break it to you, but that $40 Kobe beef burger you thought you had? Yeah, it more than likely…wasn't. If you've ever been told you've ordered Kobe beef from an American menu, in Maury Povovich's words, "that was a lie." After all, at roughly $50 per ounce, it's too precious to waste on grinding into something not only so commonplace but into a final product that makes it impossible to actually taste the quality of the meat. Think about it—there's a reason why ground meat is typically made of lesser cuts.

And when you consider that by the time export of Wagyu cattle was banned, the U.S. only imported about 200, and that today, there are less than 5,000 registered full-blooded Wagyu in the country, the odds are more than likely that you've never had the real deal.

Most consumers have only tasted cross-bred Wagyus with less than 50% of this royal bovine blood running through their veins, and more than half the common cow we call Angus. This is true for both American and Canadian Wagyu. In England and Scotland, Wagyu breeding wasn't even available until 2011, nearly two decades after lobbying began in Canada and four since the first Wagyu bulls were brought to the States; they're mixed with anything from Aberdeen Angus, Beef Shorthorn, Highland, Dexter, and Holstein cattle. And the Australians that have cornered the market on global distribution? Their Wagyu is often mated with Holstein dairy cows.

Sure, there are beefs on the market and served at fine restaurants marketed as Kobe, but that's largely due to our lax regulations. As Bon Appetit reported, "USDA regulations require only 46.9% Wagyu genetics for beef sold at retail." However, "Exempt from these labeling requirements, restaurants can call any beef Wagyu, and often do."

So be wary of anyone who claims to serve American Kobe, there's no such thing; the owner is willfully or accidentally deceiving you for top dollar. Avoid spending primo dollars on meatballs, sliders, and burgers that claim this pedigree (even if it's a Wagyu mix, you won't taste its distinctive flavor), and approach Wagyu labels with a grain of salt (excellent on steak anyway).

However, that's not to say you can't still enjoy a superlative steak. A hunk of our heartier, more toothsome cattle standbys mixed with genuine Wagyu will still yield a damn tasty bite and more marbling than our average steaks. Enjoy its beefier flavor, something the purely Japanese breeds can't provide due to its fatty richness. And don't be afraid to ask questions. Find out if it's North American or Australian Wagyu—if it's real, they'll have an answer for you…and a real treat for your dinner.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As part of one of my leases I get a full beef every year. Wagyu bulls on Angus cows, so 50%. They are fed out on the ranch. The “Fat Pen” (feedlot) is two square miles. They are on grass with supplemental food to put on weight. Usually corn/oats/barley. They are butchered much heavier and older than a normal beef. Last years beef weighed over 2100 lbs on the hoof.
This translates to over 800 lbs of meat in nice vacuum sealed packages. About half of this is hamburger. $5000 all in sounds expensive, but ends up being around $6/lb. The off cuts are still incredible. Rounds steaks and flank is still marbled.
I have a couple of clients that take a quarter, we eat a bunch, give some away and I feed a ton to my clients and guests. You just need a big freezer.
It would be hard for me to go back to a regular beef, even at half the price!

Posts: 46 | Location: Montana | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
It's called American Wagyu because it's crossbred with American Angus or some other breed.Not full bred Wagyu. I have had full bred Japanese A5 Kobe Wagyu and personally am not a fan. Far to rich for my taste and a different texture than what I prefer. It's best served in small bites as a appetizer. SRF clearly defines on their web site that they are not claiming to be 100% full blood Wagyu. The USDA plays very loosely with terms and grading of beef. The processors play all sorts of games with labeling.

Most people do not know that USDA inspectors only grade at the rib eye potion of the carcass. If that has the right amount of marbling that entire carcass is graded at prime. So a carcass can have a beautiful rib eye graded at prime but the brisket is choice at best most likely. Now that many of our food processors are owned by China I have gone exclusively to buying meat from local farmers or U.S. based online retailers. SRF being my primary go to for beef. For pork I buy Cheshire out of N.C. or Berkshire from Heritage Farms. Poultry I can source locally.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8534 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info !

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had Waygu that I think was pretty authentic at about $20 an ounce a few years ago. I wasn't paying the bill so I didn't really care about the price. It was good.

I've spent a lot of time in Asia, and about 6 trips to Japan. Much of that time I stayed in a Hilton (Tokyo - Nishishinjuku) where I was friends with the Executive Chef from when he was at a different hotel. Kobe beef started at around $250 a steak no matter where I saw it listed. Given my business expense budget I had to stick with Australian cuts, but even those were very very good as prepared.

However, the best fillet I have ever had is in Plymouth, Michigan at a place called "La Bisteca". It's an Italian place that serves Piedmontese beef from the Italian Alps. All the hyperbole applies.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I ordered these for Christmas for my wife. Should be amazing and its A5 Wagyu overnighted from Japan.
https://www.costco.com/.product.1237573.html

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7072 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
depending on where in east Tn you are there are a number of wagyu ranch's you could contact. Often they have a circuit of local farmers markets they sell at

http://www.wagyufarms.com

https://www.elkriverwagyu.com

http://willysbutchershop.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6230 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:

snakeriverfarms.com

THIS or the Prime beef from Costco is plenty good for my tastes.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I may be crying sour grapes, but from what I have heard the real good Kobe is rich and fatty to the point of buttery, but lacking in a good, strong beefy flavor. At the prices they get for it, I don't think I am interested. I like a meaty, beefy steak, so maybe I'd like a cross between a Wagyu and less fatty breed. A nice New York strip.

But if someone else is paying the bill, you bet your ass I'd eat that A5 Kobe beef.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I may be crying sour grapes, but from what I have heard the real good Kobe is rich and fatty to the point of buttery, but lacking in a good, strong beefy flavor. At the prices they get for it, I don't think I am interested. I like a meaty, beefy steak, so maybe I'd like a cross between a Wagyu and less fatty breed. A nice New York strip.

But if someone else is paying the bill, you bet your ass I'd eat that A5 Kobe beef.

Yes - I love a good steak and Beef flavor. I've just never tried anything as marbled as the pics I'm seeing for Wagyu - and it got me interested. I get a half a beef each year from a local guy and last year I had a few filet mignon cuts that were fall apart in your mouth deliciousness after just a minute or so on each side on the grill. As with all things - I think I have champaigne tastes on a beer budget :-)

(and even Beer is getting pretty freakin expensive these days)

------------------
SBrooks