SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kalispell MT vacation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kalispell MT vacation Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
We booked a room in Kalispell for an anniversary trip to Glacier NP. Foolish me, I thought we'd just be able to drive through the park no problem, but apparently, you have to have a special ticket to drive Going to the Sun Road, and they're all sold out for the days we're there. We heard we can try getting one two days in advance, but if that fails, we need some suggestions for what to see and do in the Kalispell area in a couple of weeks?
Thanks

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Alas, come of the National Parks and sights in them are so popular that if they didn't require reservations and passes that traffic and congestion would make them unusuable. Especially the ones close-ish to big cities and population centers.

Sorry to hear it. I don't know what to suggest in the area.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Hopefully 'mcrimm' sees this because he lives in Kalispell and would be a great resource for you.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I grew up in Kalispell and live an hour away now. First I've heard of needing a special ticket to drive the road, but it wouldn't surprise me. The main reason I haven't visited the park other than on a helicopter in over 20 years is the traffic (vehicular and pedestrian). Perhaps the NPS is finally doing something about the traffic issue.

When are you planning on going? The road won't even be open until probably late June.

If you're really unable to drive Going-To-The-Sun, and still want to see the park, take US 2 along the south border to East Glacier. Then head north to St. Mary and into Many Glacier (see clubleaf's Moment of Zen post this past week... Moment of Zen) . You can also go further north up around Chief Mountain which is a nice view (even better from the top Wink).

You can also head up the west side on the North Fork road to Polebridge (or further north to the border) and then drive down the Camas Road coming out at Lake McDonald/West Glacier.

Going-To-The-Sun is a beautiful drive and kind of one of those things that you want to say that you did, but honestly, you can see most of Glacier's grandeur from either or both of the above routes.

Posts: 20108 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Enjoy it! I was planning to be over there in two weeks to check the place out as my primary move choice.

Posts: 9966 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

You can also head up the west side on the North Fork road to Polebridge (or further north to the border) and then drive down the Camas Road coming out at Lake McDonald/West Glacier.

That's my advice as a local. Do hit Polebridge for the best off-the-grid bakery items. Huckleberry Bearclaws rule! The Going to the Sun road should be open earlier then normal this year as the plows have reached the summit. Feel free to PM me for any other info. Oh, look at Gypsy Tour App for a really well done narrative as you drive through the park,

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are the busses running?

Silent

Posts: 1026 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Not yet. Not until the GTTS road opens later this month.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the good advice. Sounds like there's enough up there to keep us busy.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As spectacular as the Sun road is there are a couple other options

St Mary Lake/ Two Medicine. Looking Glass Rd from Kiawah Junction to East Glacier, North fork of the Flathead. (Kintla and Bowman Lake areas my personal favorite area)

Drive through the Cabinets, through Swan Valley

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
North fork of the Flathead. (Kintla and Bowman Lake areas my personal favorite area)

I agree. This park entrance is just past Polebridge but does no longer give access to the rest of the park. The connecting road washed out a number of years ago and the park chose not to fix it. This is a shame because this 2-track road was beautiful.

The roads to the 2 lakes are gravel and generally poorly maintained. An SUV or pickup would have no trouble on the roads though.

Don't forget the huckleberry bearclaw at Polebridge.

Here's a link to plow locations and road status.
https://www.nps.gov/applicatio...tsroadplowstatus.cfm

The Constable
posted Hide Post
Sadly GNP. has been discovered...downhill from here.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Silent:
Are the busses running?

Silent

I've never run from a buss Wink

West side buses start June 11; East side buses on June 27.

Red Bus Info

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
You can still get in the entrances after 5pm I believe without a ticket. Not sure when you booked your room, but Logan pass isn't open yet. My grandfather who used to be the supervisor of roads there would have had it cleared by now if he was still there... Big Grin Might as well just wait for the snow to melt as he would say...

https://twitter.com/GlacierNPS.../1402715446642548736
Still plowing today. No projected opening date for the Sun Road.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DonDraper,

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't know when you are arriving, but the big red buses are starting up.

https://www.glaciernationalpar...YsHECXktUD6QrJW4g%3D

Hope you have a great time. I was just up in the Flathead again and did not want to leave.

Posts: 1153 | Location: western, Washington | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Never been to Kalispell, but I did 4 days at GNP. My photos are in this Collection: https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157635037593408/

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bearstarr:
Don't know when you are arriving, but the big red buses are starting up.

https://www.glaciernationalpar...YsHECXktUD6QrJW4g%3D

Hope you have a great time. I was just up in the Flathead again and did not want to leave.

We looked into those, but, unfortunately, they're all booked.

ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Never been to Kalispell, but I did 4 days at GNP. My photos are in this Collection: https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157635037593408/

flashguy

Your Logan Pass pictures are fantastic!

ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:

flashguy

Your Logan Pass pictures are fantastic!
Thank you very much! I was there (riding the red busses) on an AMTRAK rail tour.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
If anybody here has a Swiss rifle of any kind, remember that Swiss Products are based in Kalispell.

Their range of useful accessories for the G11, K11 and K31 is unmatched, AND they sell direct - no profit-eating middle-men/women/persons.

Posts: 11327 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post