SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Drove a Bronco Sport last week. What's this button?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drove a Bronco Sport last week. What's this button? Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
Last week I had a Bronco Sport as a rental. As a car nut, I'm a little embarrassed to say I'm not familiar with this icon. So... what's this hand-in-a-circle button do?

The only thing I could get it to do was light up. Confused

God bless America.

Posts: 13502 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post
My guess is steering wheel hand warmer

Posts: 859 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
^^^ My guess as well.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post
I was wrong, found it in the manual

Auto Hold
"The system applies the brakes to hold your
vehicle at a standstill after you stop your
vehicle and release the brake pedal. This
could be beneficial in certain situations, for
example when waiting on a hill or in traffic."

Posts: 859 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Well whaddaya know. I could see a use for that.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Aha! That makes sense, eyrich.
That symbol does resemble other symbols that deal with braking systems.

Thank you!

God bless America.

Posts: 13502 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eyrich:
I was wrong, found it in the manual

Auto Hold
"The system applies the brakes to hold your
vehicle at a standstill after you stop your
vehicle and release the brake pedal. This
could be beneficial in certain situations, for
example when waiting on a hill or in traffic."
If a driver needs a thing like that, then they most assuredly do not need to be driving an automobile. Roll Eyes

Yeah, a crutch such as that could never be detrimental. For instance, if you get used to this stuff and then you drive a vehicle without it.

Yep, makes sense to me. Roll Eyes

It's like cars that parallel park for you. I suggest that you learn this skill before you find yourself totally helpless in a car which doesn't have this babysitter shit.

Posts: 107588 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
My Jeep (a manual transmission) has a "hill assist" function. It's one of the first things I disabled. I hated it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I could see that being useful off road with a manual transmission but not an auto.

In my old K5 I did the 3 foot boogie for a bit then installed a bicycle brake lever and cable on the shifter and ran it to the throttle linkage.
Then I had enough feet to work the clutch, brake and throttle at the same time.

Volvo trucks have a Hill Assist.
Pretty handy till something goes out of whack and it thinks the truck is on a 6% grade when it's on level ground.
So you load the engine till the brakes let go and hope no one is in front of you when you launch and get your foot out of the throttle immediately.

Posts: 1478 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also rented a bronco with that button.
I thought it was a courtesy wave like it would flash your lights when you wanted to acknowledge someone’s courtesy. Oh well I guess I have too much faith in human kindness.

Posts: 152 | Location: DFW | Registered: April 19, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I have that on my Bronco Sport.
Use it all the time EXCEPT when going through a car wash.

Also drive my 2000 Ford Ranger 5speed stick every week and have no problems transitioning between them.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The older Subarus had a hill holder standard, on manual trans of course. I seem to recall some of the cars back in the 30's had it too. Was supposed to make driving simpler for the distaff side.......Bet they wouldn't run that ad today!

Posts: 1642 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Watergoat:
Was supposed to make driving simpler for the distaff side.......Bet they wouldn't run that ad today!
A man sure as Hell shouldn't need it.

You might as well drive around wearing a crash helmet.

Posts: 107588 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Watergoat:
The older Subarus had a hill holder standard, on manual trans of course. I seem to recall some of the cars back in the 30's had it too. Was supposed to make driving simpler for the distaff side.......Bet they wouldn't run that ad today!

My daughter had a Subaru with hill holder. I have driven manual transmissions on everything from VW beetles to Mack trucks. I could NOT keep that "feature" from stalling the engine at random times. I got so frustrated by it I quit driving the damn car. It was just one of many reasons that neither one of us will ever own another Zuberscrew.

Posts: 687 | Location: Rural W. MI | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AITG:

My daughter had a Subaru with hill holder. I have driven manual transmissions on everything from VW beetles to Mack trucks. I could NOT keep that "feature" from stalling the engine at random times. I got so frustrated by it I quit driving the damn car. It was just one of many reasons that neither one of us will ever own another Zuberscrew.

Certainly there must be the ability to disable it, no?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
We had an old service truck that was under powered and at max 26K load with a good portion of the weight on the ass end with a welder and stuff.
I hated that truck with a passion.

Quite a few hills around here and at when stopped on one it was an ass clencher.
Of course people would be two feet from the bumper and you couldn't just release the clutch and take off because the gutless pig would stall out.
So it was the three foot boogie to get up and over without munching the car behind you or stalling out.
Got pretty good at putting clutches in it.

Posts: 1478 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
What does GORT mode do? Does your Bronco have a hidden roaming eye in the grille, capable of appearing and disintegrating those that annoy you? If so, I have to get me one of those!

Platu Barrada Nikto

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
We had "Micro Loc" brakes in the 50-60s.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
What does GORT mode do? Does your Bronco have a hidden roaming eye in the grille, capable of appearing and disintegrating those that annoy you? If so, I have to get me one of those!

Platu Barrada Nikto

It's actually G.O.A.T. mode and stands for "Goes Over Any Terrain" (yeah, not really the greatest of all time acronyms ever Big Grin)

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16351 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
I thought it read GORT also.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post