SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    USA vs Japan WBC championship game
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

USA vs Japan WBC championship game Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
Anyone watching. Japan is tough.

Question regarding Japanese culture. What does the red dot represent?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
What red dot?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16357 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Huh?

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
The sun?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12723 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Its the national flag of japan.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Japan

Posts: 18035 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I watched most of it, good game.

I always understood that Japan was the land of the rising Sun, so their flag symbolizes the Sun.

Not clear to me at present why they seem to have had two versions of flag as seen in WWII videos with the version with rays radiating out vs the red dot by itself.

HK Ag

Posts: 3502 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
https://theconversation.com/wh...-case-of-japan-44500

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
Not clear to me at present why they seem to have had two versions of flag as seen in WWII videos with the version with rays radiating out vs the red dot by itself.

HK Ag

The white flag with the red dot in the center is the national flag.
The flag with the red dot and rays radiating outward on a white background is the ensign of the Japanese Navy.

Not unusual for the major military branches of a country to have a separate flag, along with the national flag.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
I always understood that Japan was the land of the rising Sun, so their flag symbolizes the Sun.

Why is it called the land of the rising sun? Doesn't the sun rise everywhere?

I've never been to Japan but it seems like a cool place to visit one day.

I know Korea is called land of the morning calm. Never understood why, either.

Posts: 13118 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A baseball game happened too Roll Eyes

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8767 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why is it called the land of the rising sun? Doesn't the sun rise everywhere?

Japan lies east of the Asian mainland. Therefore from that perspective it became known as the Land of the Rising Sun. The red circle represents the sun.

The name Japan comes from the Chinese characters for "sun origin". The Japanese themselves use the Japanese pronunciation, which is Nihon or more formally, Nippon.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16357 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post