SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Traveling across Nevada: I-80 or US 50 (aka 'The Loneliest Highway')?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Traveling across Nevada: I-80 or US 50 (aka 'The Loneliest Highway')? Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
We'll soon be making our annual pilgrimage from Utah to California, crossing Nevada for probably the 50th time in my life. We always take I-80 to save time, but lately I've been thinking of taking US 50 just to mix things up. Of course, the kids are complaining that it will be too boring, too long yada yada yada. Anyone taken this route lately? How was it?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4931 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
We'll soon be making our annual pilgrimage from Utah to California, crossing Nevada for probably the 50th time in my life. We always take I-80 to save time, but lately I've been thinking of taking US 50 just to mix things up. Of course, the kids are complaining that it will be too boring, too long yada yada yada. Anyone taken this route lately? How was it?

Two lanes? don't be in a hurry. No little tikes to apply urgency. Cell coverage?.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29734 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
I've done 50on a motorcycle with a couple of friends, very interesting scenery. Make sure you fill up and bring water with you. I would do 50 just for the experience.This was 13 years ago, doubt it's changed much.

Posts: 2310 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
I drove it last year, caught it in Utah, then drove all the way to Reno. I was driving a dually Dodge with a gooseneck trailer.

Remote isn't the word. It is a desolate stretch, interspersed with windy turns, and quaint towns (some with no gas stations, watch your gauge).

Drove back on I-80, hauling a load, so seemed quicker, and safer.

If you have nothing to do, and want to see nothing, 50 is ok. After a few hours of "wow, this is boring," I don't think I would do it again. Direct, yes. Time saver, not quite.

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4936 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
If you travel East-West Highway 50 or North-South Highway 95 across Nevada, be prepared for lots of nothing.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Open highway, no radio. Good time to think. I'll do an extra careful inspection of tires, check the spare, oil, etc, when road-tripping. Makes it official.

In May I sought out the 2-lane highway. 425 miles of 2-lane from Russell Kansas to Springer New Mexico.

Leaving Yellowstone over the Beartooth on 2-lane all the way into South Dakota. Some vehicles going west, but didn't see a single vehicle going east unless I stopped for pictures.

On occasion I find myself on US-50 a few miles to the east. Within whiff of the Atlantic.

US-60 through New Mexico is another lovely desolate highway.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Beware the sign stating "next gasoline 180 miles"...they mean it.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
It sounds like it'd be an interesting route to take... once.

Probably spotty cell coverage, at best, if you get into trouble. That's what would concern me most.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Stephen King wrote a novel about some people driving along that road through Nevada once. Didn't end well for a lot of those people. Some scary stuff out there. Wink

But seriously, that's a road I've been wanting to take since I've moved out to Utah. I've done I 80 just never that one. One day for sure.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30433 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Well, I think we're going to do it. If you don't hear from me in a couple of weeks, send out search and rescue.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4931 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I have done it twice on a MC going east out of CA, I love it, be prepared there are some long empty stretches. Not sure kids will find it interesting but there are a lot of historical things along the way, abandoned buildings, mines and old pony express outposts.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3696 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I've done it on a motorcycle a few times. Always recall the April we drove through the cricket/locust swarms. WOW!

At first as I heard the first few little, clunks on the bike...I thought...Ooh...A big grasshopper! then it got more frequent, then incessant. So many big, brown crickets on the road I slowed for corners.

There's a cool Crater along 50 IIRC, or it might be RT 375 out of Rachel?

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I drove it once from west to east circa 2002. It is lonely and desolate, but I like lonely and desolate. Heading east, from approximately Fallon, the speed limit is 70 mph on most of it. You will cross several mountain ranges; the road is narrower and twistier over the passes. You join up with US 6 in Ely, NV. Routes 50/6 become really lonely between there and Delta, UT - no services of any kind for ~120 miles.

Posts: 28007 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've driven to Great basin Nat Park numerous times, and to that point it has some very interesting scenery.

Lehman Cave is a very interesting spot for kids if you can spare a couple hours. Lots of wild life along the road, including coyotes that are as big as wolves.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
two places I'd recommend a stop to look about:

In the middle about, is Ely. IIRC there's a rail road museum there;

on the eastern flank of Nevada, on the road W out of "Desolation Mountains" (so marked on my map) is that 'Lehman Cave' complex. You can spend a couple hours in guided tour underground in the dark if you like.

A single trip across Hwy 50 'Loneliest Road in America' gives a whole new appreciation for the determination of those migrating in wagon trains from somewhere worse to their fantasy world only a few hundred miles to the West.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I-80 is pretty damn lonely as well, but fast if you do it right!!! Big Grin

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20326 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Strange you should ask, I just saw that highway on a tv show yesterday. Looked like a good bucket list item to me.

I do wonder how many bodies are long forgotten about not too far from either side of the road.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
Well, I think we're going to do it. If you don't hear from me in a couple of weeks, send out search and rescue.

Well, I vote yes. Like you I've done the Sacramento-Provo/Orem roundtrip probably 50 times in my life.

When we were coming home from Lake Powell, we adventured west on Hwy 50. It was fine. Just gas up as needed. You'll survive and have some cool stories to tell.

P229

Posts: 3846 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I have read, but not seen myself, that US-6 from Tonopah to Ely is actually even "lonelier" than 50. I have only been on this route between its beginning in Bishop, CA to Tonopah.

Posts: 28007 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Pack more water, more gasoline, and more motor oil than you think you will need.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5648 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post