SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dodge to release new 1,000 hp motor for pre-1976 classic cars like the Challenger and Demon
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dodge to release new 1,000 hp motor for pre-1976 classic cars like the Challenger and Demon Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
So why is Dodge doing this? (Answer below)

quote:
1,000 hp Dodge 'Hellephant' V8 is ready to resurrect your classic car

Dodge has summoned another monster from the underworld.

The latest is a new 1,000 hp engine called the “Hellephant” that’s based on the brand’s Hellcat supercharged V8 and will be offered as a crate motor for custom car builders next year.

Its name is a tip of the hat to the original “Elephant” 426 Hemi V8 from the 1960s, and the new engine features an aluminum block with a bigger bore and stroke than the 376 cubic-inch Hellcat’s that brings it up to a historically appropriate 426 cubic-inches.

The engine mixes parts from the engines found in the Dodge Challenger Hellcat Redeye and Demon with its own high-lift cam and forged pistons. A package that includes a power control module and all of the wiring and sensors needed for installation is offered with it, and a front end accessory drive kit is also available to make the process as easy as possible. This is assuming you have a pre-1976 car to put it in, as it’s not street legal in anything newer than that.

To introduce the engine at the Specialty Equipment Markets Assocation (SEMA) show in Las Vegas, Dodge dropped the Hellephant into a heavily modified 1968 Charger it’s calling the Super Charger. The classic has been updated with a stretched wheelbase, fiberglass fender flares and hood, and a modern six-speed manual transmission. The Charger’s signature hidden flip-over headlights have been replaced with a fixed, full width grille with a set of Hellcat headlights peering through it for a menacing look.

Pricing for the Hellephant and accessory kits hasn’t been announced, but the Hellcat-based Hellcrate motor with its measly 707 hp started at just under $20,000 when it was introduced at SEMA last year.

The Hellephant name is better than the other name they considered, the Hellephino.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31485 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Must include chassis update, entire power train and linkages, clutch, exhaust, huge brakes, tires, steering and of course the nut behind the wheel.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
So why is Dodge doing this? (Answer below)...

(Answer...)

cuz, Buick V6. And they hafta put snails on the engines to slow them down...

(1/4 not 1/8)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43921 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pricing for the Hellephant and accessory kits hasn’t been announced, but the Hellcat-based Hellcrate motor with its measly 707 hp started at just under $20,000 when it was introduced at SEMA last year.

Huh... that's an expensive motor. You'd better really be attached to that old car.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24176 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:

The Hellephant name is better than the other name they considered, the Hellephino.

Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:

Huh... that's an expensive motor. You'd better really be attached to that old car.
For $20-$22k you can get the motor from the Z06 Corvette with transmission, torque converter, ECM, oxygen sensors, MAF sensor, throttle pedal, and wiring harness w/ fuse box.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23316 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
It's not hard to spend $10k on just the paint, so $20k for a motor like that is chump change (for folks that are into it).

Posts: 4015 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Lately I've been searching for a '68 Mustang convertible. It was one of my first cars and I'd love to have another.

Just the other day, I was thinking that with the demand for classic cars, I would think that the big three could make a metric shit ton of money if they would build these classics again.

It would take some doing, of course, to get around EPA rules and such, but wouldn't it be awesome to see some "new" Chevelles, Camaros, and Mustangs rolling down the road? You can't tell me that there wouldn't be a market for them.

Of course, the GTO and Cutlass fans would be fucked, but still....

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing on my old Challenger would hold up to that kind of power, price of the new motor would be small, compared to all the other upgrades needed.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Lately I've been searching for a '68 Mustang convertible. It was one of my first cars and I'd love to have another.

Just the other day, I was thinking that with the demand for classic cars, I would think that the big three could make a metric shit ton of money if they would build these classics again.

It would take some doing, of course, to get around EPA rules and such, but wouldn't it be awesome to see some "new" Chevelles, Camaros, and Mustangs rolling down the road? You can't tell me that there wouldn't be a market for them.
A Ford employee already did it and started a company called Revology

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23316 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiver:
Nothing on my old Challenger would hold up to that kind of power, price of the new motor would be small, compared to all the other upgrades needed.

That won't stop a lot of people with more money than sense from plunking that engine in their old car, MacGuyvering it to the drive train, and destroying the car (and/or themselves) the first time they stomp on the gas. . .

Neat concept, though. Would make one heck of a fanboat. Eek

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21853 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
What cars are this engine supposed to go in? If I had an original Hemi or 440 that is already a classic muscle car, I wouldn't want to mess it up. If it is supposed to go in an originally 318 car, none of the rest of the drivetrain is going to be usable with 1000 hp.

Posts: 28006 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:

$168,000? For a car that I can buy original for $30K or less? Yeah...I'll pass.

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
This is just part of the new "Race on Sunday, sell on Monday" idea. Make a monster motor, show it off at SEMA with a 1 off car, put it in your catalogue for a year or two, really only planning to sell 10 or 15 of them - but getting lots of advertising from it about your amazing performance. Doing it as a crate motor is brilliant in my opinion, don't have to deal with any emissions, don't have to really build a usable vehicle - I'd bet money the car they shoehorned it in is nothing but a trailer queen.

However, I can't say that I don't applaud them for doing it. I'd love to see some cars with that in it, properly built to survive that kind of power and torque. Personally, though, my dreams have always been towards a small displacement, hi-revving V8 in an aluminum bodied Cobra replica - a custom 289 (though likely would have to build out a 302 instead).

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cut and plug
posted Hide Post
I guarantee you that engine will make its way into some spectacular cars that can easily handle the power. Most people spending that kind of coin on an engine don’t do the rest of the car half way. There may be some crappy cars with it but I bet it will be powering some amazing pro touring rides very soon. Restomods are hot right now, a car that appears old and is high tech and high performance underneath. I commend dodge for doing, its impressive and that comes from a dyed in the wool bowtie lover.

Posts: 1145 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hbabler:
I guarantee you that engine will make its way into some spectacular cars that can easily handle the power. Most people spending that kind of coin on an engine don’t do the rest of the car half way. There may be some crappy cars with it but I bet it will be powering some amazing pro touring rides very soon. Restomods are hot right now, a car that appears old and is high tech and high performance underneath. I commend dodge for doing, its impressive and that comes from a dyed in the wool bowtie lover.

Spot on assessment imho. Right up until the last line, but only because I’m a Mopar guy. Cool

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7508 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Yea, the type of guy who would spend 20k on the engine is the same guy who will replace everything else needed. I'm sure they will sell a significant amount to the Mopar guys, and you might even find some making their way into old Ford's and Chevy's.

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure the same amounts of power can be accomplished while spending much less... I've got a few friends into LS series swaps and they say you can do crazy stuff with those. One of them transplanted a LS motor into his Fox body mustang. Not street legal but he enjoys taking it to the straight track on a regular basis. When I asked if he found it a sacrilege to put that engine in a Mustang he shrugged and stated it was a good engine that was fairly easy to make big power from. He's trying to get me to take the ZZ4 out of my Nova and go with a LS.

Posts: 6382 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
who will be first to drop it in a Backdraft cobra. Death Rocket!!

JC

Posts: 1273 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GM is killing them with the LS crate engines. The market is there.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post