SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Solar light/battery question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Solar light/battery question Login/Join 
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted
I have some post cap type solar lights that came with Ni-MH AA 400mAh batteries that don't hold much of a charge. Lights go out in a few hours.
I have some Ni-CD 1000mAh batteries that I was wondering if they would work in the lights.
Am not sure if "charging circuit" in lights will work on either type.

Added for clarity:
The main question is switching from Ni-Mh to Ni-Cd?
Will the charging circuit work?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: gjgalligan,

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4247 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I read somewhere that these barely charge the batteries and you do not want to use larger mAH batteries in them. Not sure the science there, but give it a shot and see what happens.

Posts: 6705 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Added real batteries to my post cap solar lights after the original ones died.

They didn't actually die, but were mostly cosmetic. The 1600mAh batteries stay on all night and I haven't had any problems (leaking, thermal runaway, etc...) with them. Plus they stay on all night.

Posts: 9429 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
The main question is switching from Ni-Mh to Ni-Cd?
Will the charging circuit work?

I have a charger (120v, plug in the wall outlet) that has separate modes for each type.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4247 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post