SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What's the Best picture quality streaming device?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the Best picture quality streaming device? Login/Join 
posted
I'm wondering what's the best picture quality streaming device that's out right now? I have a Roku 2 and stream everything on it including playstation vue tv. I recently upgraded my tv to a 65" 8000 Series Samsung and the picture quality difference is now apparent. So is the new Roku ultra the best one? or Amazon Fire UHD or Apple?

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
As long as they stream in HD, it's going to depend on the quality of the stream.

I bought a 4k TV recently for my Project Scorpio and when I booted up Netflix, it asked if I wanted to upgrade to high def and I said no. Now I'm regretting it but I don't want to pay for it. I'm using other stuff to stream in high def and I must say I didn't know what I was missing.

If you already have Apple stuff, stick with Apple stuff. I mix both. I'm using a Firestick currently.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8171 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Pick whichever device fits best for your ecosystem, the hardware difference will be negligible.

The bottleneck is the bitrate of the video stream, and that varies by streaming service, content, and even time of day. Amazon might have the highest quality encoding of a particular film, but because of network congestion, will only deliver 70% of it. Netflix might have a better encoding of a different film, etc. Everything is expressed in theoretical maximums, not guaranteed minimums.

Even Blu-ray discs have differences in quality from one film to another.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Aeteocles,

Posts: 13064 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
What those guys said.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post