SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shaving and Razor Question.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shaving and Razor Question. Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted
Ok, I learned to shave with a Gillette double edged razor, you know, the metal kind that are so popular again. Used a brush, cup with soap, etc.

When I went to college, I had the metal handle razor that clicked in to double bladed cartridges that were disposable. I kind of liked that system and used it for years.

Later, in the Army when being shaved properly every day was important and time was short, like Dylan, I went electric. Used a Norelco with the three head design for years. Went through three of them, until after the last one, the prices were out of control, and I decided I wasn't going to pay that kind of coin for very modest reliability and a sub-par shave.

So, back to all plastic disposables and Barbasol. I had a batch of 60 plastic disposables from BJ's that were awesome. Shaving occasionally (I work from home now, and care less) they lasted me 5 years. Yep, one razor per month. Loved them. When I ran out, I bought the same looking pack at BJ's again, but these are not the same razors. They are good for one shave if growth is heavy, at most two if growth is light. In short, they suck.

I am not a shaving fetishist. I just want to take the stubble off once or twice a week. I don't want to spend good gun money on shaving stuff, but I don't mind solving my problem once and for all if it costs a bit.

What are my best options? I really don't want to go back to electric. I'm not fond of the shave I get, and if the stubble is long, I find them uncomfortable.

I'm happy with disposable, but I'm not paying the crazy prices for 5 and 6 blade cartridges. If disposable, must be cheap. Is there a good disposable option out there?

I'm happy to go back to a bladed razor. I no longer have that old Gillette, but I'm willing to buy a decent handle, and blades if that is the best option.

Help a brother out here. I was happy with the 60 pack from BJ's until the quality dropped off. I want a simple, reasonably priced solution that doesn't involve complex engineering or the slaughter of a goat at midnight.

What do you recommend?

Thanks for your help.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12746 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Artie,

I've been using these for the past 6-7 years:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q...dt_b_product_details

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I've settled on Dorco 6Plus; 4 and 5 are okay but 6Plus is where I've settled. It's a Korean brand.

Available on Prime. Hard to find in stores, even in Korea. Smile

ETA: BTW, I use one cartridge for months (3-6 months). I shave maybe 3x per week. But a cartridge, for me, is usable for months, well beyond just 3-5 shaves. Gillette - I was changing after every 6 shaves or so. YMMV.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: konata88,

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I have used the Gillette Trac II system for 50+ years now. I find the twin blade gives a cleaner, more comfortable shave than single blades, or the triple+ cartridge systems, as well as being reasonably economical. A couple of years ago I bought an economy pack of 100 cartridges for about $10, I don't expect to ever have to buy blades again, although I'm not sure my handle is going to last. I went through four or five handles early on, including one of solid brass, before rebuilding two broken handles into my current one. That was at least 30 years ago. The Gillette Trac II has been knocked off as the Personna Twin Plus, the former being of slightly higher quality, the latter being cheaper and a little easier to find.

Posts: 6400 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I had a three head Norelco, one of the good models. Bought it reconditioned at a small appliance repair store.

It died after many years of good service. The store was out of business so I went to Walmart and bought the cheapest Norelco there. Years later it still works just fine.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I use a DE razor. Once the upfront cost of the razor is covered, blades are cheap. Quality of shave is better than disposables or cartridge razors too.

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
I used to be a cartridge razor guy until I started shaving with a safety razor about 3 years ago. I love it.

My bought a Merkur 34C and used that for a while, fine razor. I now use a 1957 refurbished Gillette red tip super speedy. It is very smooth. I use Feather blades and Gillette "yellow box" 7'Oclock sharp edge razors. Both are the two sharpest blades I've tried.

I also use a shaving brush and soap. Makes for a nice shave.

I have recently been using a pre-shave oil and that is really nice.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
I really got tired of the cost and crappy shave quality of cartridge razors. After asking a bunch of questions of the membership here, I bought myself a couple safety razors and experimented with blades until I found my match. This is what I shave with today and really enjoy the experience. Excellent shave, my face feels great, and I didn't break the bank in any way with my choices.

Razor - QSHAVE Adjustable Really like being able to adjust the aggressiveness of the cut.

Blades - Personna Red I change blades every second or third shave so I'm always shaving with a sharp blade.

Shaving brush - Perfecto Badger Brush

Shaving Cream - Taylor of Old Bond Street- Sandalwood The bomb when it comes to a comfortable shave. Lasts me at least 6 months.

After Shave Balm - Viking Revolution - Sandalwood Love this stuff and the scent is very subtle. Also good for about six months worth of shaves.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
For many years I have been shaving with a 1960 Gillette fatboy using Feather blades and love it !

Sometimes I use foam cream, brush/mug soap or tube OC Bigelow (Italy) ... depending on my mood.

I have a few nice straight razors I got from my grandfather I want to learn to use someday. Had the sharpened by Albert of Seattle Edge.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
https://dorcousa.com/private-l...ds-brand-oem-tra1000

Dorco Pace 3 Shaving System

Available from Amazon. They stopped selling direct off their website a couple of years ago.

Amazon Link

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I shave while in the shower. Since Gillette went full woke, I switched to Target brand that mimics the Gillette two blade disposable. I use the cheap target foam or just soap while in the shower.

I have a DE safety razor and use the only one Target sells that aren’t Gillette. They work fine.
I shave daily and have since boot camp in 1988. Even going one day drives me batty. I don’t know how people grow those big beards nowadays.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
The answer to this question is a Schick injector.

Dirt cheap. Damn near impossible to cut yourself. Blades last forever.

I’ve tried it all. I’ve been using my dad’s old handle and go through about one razor blade a month shaving 4+ times a week. Badger brush, good cream, but that simple razor is the key.

Tried double edged, straight, all the multi blade monstrosities, electric.

Nothing beats the single bladed injector in my experience.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Simple DE handle, Feather blades and if in a rush, Edge Gel shaving cream. Rinse it well, pour a little alcohol over it to help displace water and germs.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Merkur and Jaeger handles for DE. Bought 200 Astra blades off Amazon for $19 three years ago and still have over half of them. Shave pretty much daily with a fairly heavy beard. Use Creamo or Shave Secret. Also rinse razor with hot water and a touch of isopropyl alcohol to sanitize and displace water. Change blades weekly and could easily go longer but they're so freaking cheap I don't see the point of sacrificing any performance.

Posts: 1950 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Man I don't know, but I'm disgusted with the price and lower quality of the mass market razor blades nowadays.

I was in Costco yesterday and they had an orange box of Harry's with 13 blades and a handle. I've not tried theirs before but figured for $19.99 it was worth a try.

I've been using Dollar Shave Club for the last 5 years, I think it is, and it seems to me that the quality has gone down and the price has definitely gone up.

Personally I'm of the opinion that shaving is a pain in the neck. Buying blades and the other stuff and wasting my time shaving my face, while the hair on my head is getting thinner and thinner, well it's just not right, lol. It'd be better if our facial hair went bald and the hair on our head stayed nick and thick and not gray.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
after gillette lost their minds I switched to a Merkur and it has been great. Works way better when I let everything go for awhile and in the end substantially cheaper.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I used to use Dorco blades (they are the same as what Dollar Shave Club uses) but switched to Harry’s after Dorco raised prices and went Amazon only and stopped direct sales.

IMO Harry’s are superior, sharper and last longer.

I use them to shave my face/neck below my beard and my head and they are good.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was in Costco yesterday and they had an orange box of Harry's with 13 blades and a handle. I've not tried theirs before but figured for $19.99 it was worth a try.

I got the Harry's kit at Costco in an effort to get away from the Gillette stuff. It is several steps above Gillette and I won't look back.

Posts: 238 | Registered: March 11, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Dorco Pace 3. Nothing else even comes close for me.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post