SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Para cord and the elements
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Para cord and the elements Login/Join 
posted
Am trying to design a pulley system to mount on a free standing Shepard's hook to raise and lower a bird feeder.

The full feeder will weigh between eight and 11 pounds.
its out in the yard so sun ,rain and cold are a concern,

Would paracord a good or poor option if the owner changed the cord every year ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
550 cord will last.

We had drag chutes on F-4 aircraft that went through some pretty rough treatment and they were inspected and repacked, and the lines replaced when cut, nicked or abraided beyond specified limits.

For your purpose, keep an eye on it, and compare it to a 'good piece. You could occasionally do a test pull of several times the weight you are lifting and if it does not let go, continue using it until it fails your test.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43884 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 135 foot long wire antenna supported by para cord tied to a tree. It has been there for four years and is as strong as the day I installed it. I know this as I lowered it to check on the condition of the cord a few days ago.

Awake not woke

Posts: 567 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:

The cord will do just fine ... ! I have a section of fence that is rotted off at the base that I have neglected to for at least 15 years or longer that is held up from following over by a single section of paracord tied from the post to a tree 18 inches away. Been exposed to the elements all this time and still holding. Fence section is being replaced this summer.

If your luck is anything like mine the whole fence will fall down tomorrow!

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4134 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you,
Believe it or not
This exact application has not been on either YouTube or Google.

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've used 550 cord on a flagpole for over 5 years, stays out 365 and still looks and works like new.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I use UV Resistant 3/16th inch rope from any one of several Ham Radio stores.

It's used to string up some Dipole antennas and as guy ropes for push up antenna masts.

Lasts a loooooooooooong time and stays darn strong. I have some that's been out in the harsh sun and winter for 10 years now and it's still as good as new.

The very best is the Mastrant brand, imported from the Czech Republic. There are a good number of US retailers.

Sounds like you don't need very much length.

I can send you some, just email me.

Posts: 11846 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Gene that's a nice offer,
I am still in the very preliminary stage of design phase and three hurdles to jump yet.

And have plenty enough Para cord. Will keep it in mind though.

Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
It's old tech, but the old clotheslines used to be a reasonable tensile strength rope enclosed by a kinda UV-resistent plastic shell. These were on fixed clotheslines as well as those pulley type where you pulled the line to remove clothes. That stuff used to last years-

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the braided /coated stuff on the static lines, but the pulleys I am contemplating are only 1.5 inch diameter,
The cloths line pulls are four or five inch dia.

posted Hide Post
Now it would be very nice to find polymer ( no rust)
Pulleys.

posted Hide Post
Ebay is your friend...

I've had these up for a Ham End-Fed wire antenna for a couple of years with no wear:

2-1/2" Pulley Ham QRP Dipole Inverted Vee Loop Longwire End Fed Antenna W5SWL

https://www.ebay.com/itm/37264...e:g:4LUAAOSwGdtcrM5b

There are lots of variations...

I'm sure the Ham gurus here have lots of experience with pulleys...

drendean

Posts: 48 | Location: Bagdad, KY | Registered: January 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
A boat supply store that specializes in sailboats would have corrosion resistant pulleys aka blocks to sailboaters.

Posts: 10943 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
FWIW I’ve got big Eye Screw that I’ve been using instead of a pulley for about 10 years.

I’ve got it screwed in the top, in a horizontal position, of a 16 foot 2x4 (which is fastened by big screws and washers) to a 8 Foot 4x4 (which is set 2 feet into the ground). I finished screwing in the eyebolt by making sure the open spot was on top, so there is no abrasion to the rope.

It works just fine instead of a pulley.

Here is an example LINK CLICKY except I used a Stainless Steel eye screw. I made sure the eye was 1 in of diameter and used my 3/16 inch UV resistant guy rope.

If you’re not lifting a lot of weight and whatever is doesn’t have a lot of wind load stress, it will work fine.

Posts: 11846 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The four arm bird feeding Shepard's hook will be made of rebar.

So screw eyes won't be an option.

Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nosticks:
I have a 135 foot long wire antenna supported by para cord tied to a tree. It has been there for four years and is as strong as the day I installed it. I know this as I lowered it to check on the condition of the cord a few days ago.

How to say "I'm a HAM living in an antenna-restricted wasteland" without actually saying it. Big Grin

Posts: 2465 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:
quote:

How to say "I'm a HAM living in an antenna-restricted wasteland" without actually saying it. Big Grin

I've done much the same myself and it works pretty well.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:
quote:

I've done much the same myself and it works pretty well.

Same here. It was supposed to be "temporary." but it's still there (working fine since 2017.)

To the OP's point: About two pounds of hardware/wire in open air, winter/summer, sun/ice, etc. No issues for five years.

Posts: 2465 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post