SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New tool-watch on the block - Canister Fieldmaster
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New tool-watch on the block - Canister Fieldmaster Login/Join 
half-genius,
half-wit
posted
https://www.canisterwatches.com/store-1

For those of us on a tighter than usual budget, who feel the need to a rugged, go-anywhere field/tool watch for just under S400 - here's a noobie to catch your attention. The founder of the Canister Watch Co is, like me, ex-military, and came out the Royal Canadian Artillery Regiment with a determination to build an affordable and reliable timepiece that fulfilled all HIS specific requirements. Sure, it looks more or less like any other wristwatch of the genre, but it's neither overly large nor thick, as you can see if you care to look on the website. It has a few interesting details, such as the beautifully-done knurling on the bezel and crown - the case is a work of art in machining, with its lovely sharply-defined corners and almost imperceptible junction point of case and bezel. As a build of small steam models, where high precision fits are baseline necessities, not aspirations, I can see than some serious care has gone into the production of these two components. Mine arrived here in UK is a very short delivery time, given that they come from Brandon in Manitoba after getting the once-over there before shipping out to customers. I'm just one of them, and yup, right now they are pretty much all sold out. Summing up - it's a great-looking timepiece for not a lot of money. I'm VERY impressed with my blue dial version. It might be the one for you, too. Take a look!

Posts: 11322 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Verrry nice!

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I like the design quite a bit. Slight mix of diver, but with numerals. With a 20mm lug it would go on a “Falklands” strap right away.

Posts: 9963 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I really like that. It could be my next automatic. Very elegant and nicely made.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Ooh—nice.
Another temptation.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Attractive!

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
It comes in a very nice package of travel roll and two more straps - a nicely-done black rubber item and an excellent NATO kinda khaki.

I'll be putting on a 22mm Crafter Blue brand rubber strap in a matching blue - mine has a blue dial.

As it comes out of the roll it has enough spare links in the nicely-made s/s bracelet to almost go around the waist of a small child - I needed three taking out from each side and my wrist is 7 3.4".

Posts: 11322 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
" Tighter than usual budget " and you recommend a $400 dollar watch ? Big Grin

Posts: 4056 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
" Tighter than usual budget " and you recommend a $400 dollar watch
Inflation

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30668 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Looks nice, alot like my Marathon. Really dig the blue. Not in the market for another watch right now but will have to do some research on the movement before any future purchase.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7507 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:

Well, that would be $100 in 2018 dollars....

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:

Given that a LOT of posters on this forum have a few Rolex, Omega and Tag Heuer brand watches, as well as and other middle-range big-name watches like Oris, Longines, Christopher Ward, Ball and IWC, I'd say that anything up to $1000 is reasonably-priced watch.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Not a bad looking piece.
Says 399CAD, what does that equate to in USD?

Seems relatively in line with a lot of the Seiko autos, so "reasonably priced" seems an adequate descriptor.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15317 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Nice looking watch.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

Says 399CAD, what does that equate to in USD?

$309.50 USD as of today

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16214 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Almost 3,000.00 in doggie dollars.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30668 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any idea where these are manufactured???

I have a Marathon CSAR that I love, but it is getting beat up. I would like one of these as a daily beater and then have the CSAR serviced and re-polished.

I do not want to purchasing anything coming out of China. India, Taiwan, Japan... Anyplace but China. Hate the government of Canada right now, but would settle for that as well.

The "Boz"

Posts: 1531 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bozman, very likely China. Decent specs for this price. Miyota 9015 instead of Seiko NH35 is nice to see.

Posts: 386 | Registered: November 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Guy:
Bozman, very likely China. Decent specs for this price. Miyota 9015 instead of Seiko NH35 is nice to see.

I bleeve that it is made in HongKong. I'll ask Chris.

half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Almost 3,000.00 in doggie dollars.

Not so - One D$ = Seven US$.

So it's quite cheap.

My Breitling Navitimer cost me almost $900 to service, and the Deep Sea over $1200. Now THAT is waaaaay OTT, but necessary to maintain value.