SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Disposable mask vs neck buff or whatever there called
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Disposable mask vs neck buff or whatever there called Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
SSo I am thinking of one of these buffs or whatever they are called. Since winter is here. Figured just put it on and whenever cover is needed or desired just pull it up.

I do not know where to buy. I am remote and would prefer to get something USA made and not pay $20 or more. Any idea's? Or should I just cut of a tee shirt sleeve and use it?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19193 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Well, there are buffs and there are gaiters. Google both and see what you find. Looking for something warm and fuzzy to double as a scarf or just to comply with the face covering nonsense?

You can find lots of buffs at planetgearcompany.com, including the ones they wear on Survivor.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I bought these and they work great. I cut each one into 2 or 3 sections as I don’t need the whole long buff. They are 5 for 20 bucks. People always ask where I get the short buff and I tell them about cutting them in half. I much prefer these over masks.

https://safishing.com/shop/buy...iters/#configuration

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Spec-Ops Recon Wraps are made in the USA, are washable, and of good quality. I wear mine around the neck and pull it up when going inside somewhere required. It doesn't do anything to stop or even slow the ChiCom Wuhan Red-Death Plague, but it satisfies the need for virus-virtue signalling.

https://specops.us/apparel.html
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Doesn't matter I hate ALL of this mask crap.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
You can get Buff brand buffs at REI or Bass Pro for sure.

Not that they'll do anything for the Wu Flu, but they meet your requirements of being convenient around your neck and easy to pull up when you enter a business.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Go to Walmart and in the fishing department they will have the gators/gaiters that are very light weight and I believe are made by Buff.

Posts: 1956 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
If you do get something for double duty, make sure to get something light weight. I have a couple of Turtle Fur neck gaiter thingys I use when skiing, and they would be way too heavy for indoor use.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3301 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
One of my sons swears by these folks:
https://www.gruntstyle.com/col...s/lifestyle/facemask

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16225 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
A bit spendy, but made in USA, SurfMonkey Gear has Coroa Storm neck gaiters.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
If you've got a motorcycle or snowmobile dealer near you I would stop in and see what they had.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5686 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Gators keep you warm and/or dry. They don’t work for the ongoing pandemic. If you’re concerned about that, use a mask. Btw, I use a gator during cold weather for ME - to stay warm.

Link

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Just remember if it doesn't say "Made in some country" anywhere on the webpage it's because it was made in China.

I just bought the ones on Amazon that came up when I searched for them. They are 6 packs at various prices depending on color and don't say where they are made on the webpage. The bag they came in does say "Made in China" though.

[6-Pack] Neck Gaiter Scarf, Breathable Bandana Face Bandana Cover Cooling Neck Gaiter for Men Women Cycling Hiking Fishing.

Posts: 3385 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19193 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If we are comparing - which masks actually work thoroughly against this/any virus?

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Properly fitting, Certified N95's or higher which no one wears.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13402 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
If you want a comfortable, effective mask you can easily wear all day, here you go:

https://store.helmetfitting.com/product/active-mask/

I had to do a lot of digging to find these before they finally wrote an article online. It's the masks you see college football coaches wearing on the sidelines. I've had one for about a month and when I have to wear a mask, this one is by far the most comfortable. The ear cords are completely adjustable and it has a flexible cord around your neck, so you can pull it off your ears and let it hang. It also has a flexible wire over the bridge of your nose you can adjust. I have several gaitors as back up - the Mission gaitor is very lightweight and works well - I would rate it second in the comfort rankings.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
I hesitate to offer this information for fear of implying I've bought into this mask sham.

I've heard that the buffs are worse than a mask. Say you sneeze without a mask, the water droplets are bigger and will fall to the ground quicker than if you sneezed through a buff, which would aerosolize the droplets into the air and therefore be even more contagious. Something like that. Then again, with a buff, you get the benefit of being warm and placating--so you don't have to deal with--the whack jobs.

I've held out this long without spending one penny on a mask and I am very stubborn about this. I received two from my employer and another couple free ones.

Year V

Posts: 2632 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
I hesitate to offer this information for fear of implying I've bought into this mask sham.

I've heard that the buffs are worse than a mask. Say you sneeze without a mask, the water droplets are bigger and will fall to the ground quicker than if you sneezed through a buff, which would aerosolize the droplets into the air and therefore be even more contagious. Something like that. Then again, with a buff, you get the benefit of being warm and placating--so you don't have to deal with--the whack jobs.

I've held out this long without spending one penny on a mask and I am very stubborn about this. I received two from my employer and another couple free ones.

I'll add that I'm wearing a mask when I have to (which is mainly work - in my position I don't have an option) and I have no illusions that it offers any protection whatsoever in either preventing me from getting or spreading the virus (if I were to have it). Therefore, my only objective is comfort - I can't/won't wear the standard masks that are out there all day and struggle to breathe.

Therefore, that's why my 2 go to's are the Mission lightweight summer neck gaitor and more recently the Shema97 functional mask I linked to earlier.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post