SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Lock, stock, and barrel--duh
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lock, stock, and barrel--duh Login/Join 
Smarter than the
average bear
posted
I was watching a Larry Potterfield video about recreating one of Custer's rifles, and he mentioned "lock, stock, and barrel". I've heard that phrase my entire life, and understood it's meaning to be 'the entire thing'. But as much as I grew up around guns I never realized the origin of the phrase. Am I the only one?

This also makes me think about other sayings that we use without thinking about the origins, ie. "he's got his work cut out for him".

So, tell me if I'm the only clueless guy, or if you have a saying of which you can share the origin.

Posts: 3532 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I think there are several accounts, but the most plausible one is that it dates back to the days of flintlocks. The firing mechanism (lock,) the stock and the barrel are necessary to make a complete firearm. Other expressions referring to entirety include, but aren't limited to, "the whole nine yards," "the whole shebang," "the whole ball of wax," etc., each with its own unknown or apocryphal origin, and none of which make any sense.

Posts: 28645 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Are you sure it wasn't Lock, Shock, and Barrel?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16886 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
No, no, no... The phrase originated with the residents of a small fishing village near Loch Stokinbarel in Scotland.

Posts: 33036 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
The phrase "lock and load" is similarly ubiquitous, with many people who use it not even realizing it's a firearm term. Among those that do, there is still confusion concerning its origins. Some people believe it refers to the manual of arms of the M1 Garand, while others insist its origins hailed from the Viet Nam era and M16 operation.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16886 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
Lock and load far preceded our adventure in sunny south east Asia.

‘Lock’ Refers to pulling the bolt back and locking it in place.

‘Load’ refers to inserting the clip into the rifle which releases the bolt and chambers a round.

Lock and load was a single command.

We used it in Viet Nam too but it’s origins predated the plastic fantastic made by Mattel by a generation.

Posts: 6502 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Elijah McCoys brass oilers for steam powered trains..the real McCoy.

Posts: 17984 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
"The whole nine yards" refers to cement trucks. They are rated at 8 yards of cement but can be filled to 9. 9 is completely topped off.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4248 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
"The whole nine yards" refers to cement trucks. They are rated at 8 yards of cement but can be filled to 9. 9 is completely topped off.

Bruce

I always thought it was fighter planes holding 9 yards of belted 30 cal ammo, the comment being 'i got him but it took the whole 9 yards'

Posts: 664 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Believe it or not, the origin of "the whole nine yards" is not officially known. Numerous theories include .30 ammunition belts of WWI, .50 belts of WWII, and cement mixer capacity, but apparently the phrase pre-dates both world wars and the automobile.

The phrase actually appears in writing before 1900!

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

posted Hide Post
I always thought that the origin of the phrase "lock, stock and barrel" was a real estate transaction term. In regard to the sale of a farm, it meant that the sale included all the personal property of the farmstead. In pre-industrial times, locks were expensive, as were barrels. Stock referred to livestock. So a farm sold "lock, stock and barrel" was referring to a "turn key", all inclusive, transaction.

It actually makes more sense that it refers to firearms, now that you mention it.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
Mind your Ps and Qs.

Bartenders keeping track of pints and quarts consumed by patrons on a chalkboard behind the bar. Refers to bartenders occasionally adding a pint or quart when the patron wasn’t paying attention to increase the tab.

Or alternatively, when setting movable type for printing, not to confuse the p with the q and ruin the entire job.

“Doesn’t know his ass from a hole in the ground.” In journalism, not confusing the word “burro” (ass) with “burrow” (hole in the ground). Or so I’m told. Smile

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jman78
posted Hide Post
The term lock stock and barrel comes from when you could find a gun smith that were able to make the lock or the stock and barrel at one shop. Where in earlier times you had to go to one person for the stock, and another for the lock and barrel. This was the beginning of American gun manufacturing.

Posts: 185 | Location: Victorville, CA | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
There are many expressions that originally related to firearms. Some are less common now, but are still sometimes encountered. A few that come to mind:

“He’s just a flash in the pan” refers to the ignition of the priming powder in a flintlock firearm’s pan, but the failure of it to ignite the main charge in the barrel. The term evolved somewhat to refer to someone who makes a good first impression, but who doesn’t perform or have staying power in the long run.

“Hanging fire” refers to something that doesn’t occur when expected or desired.

“Keep your powder dry” means stay prepared to do something, especially something critical that may require immediate action.

“Going off half-cocked” refers to the fact that many early firearms with hammers had “half cock” notches that the sear engaged to allow capping a nipple without the hammer being fully cocked or to allow the cylinder of a revolver to be turned freely for loading. If the sear broke or the notch wasn’t designed properly, the hammer could slip from that position and unexpectedly fire the gun with bad results. The term evolved somewhat into meaning that someone acted without not only intention, but impulsively without adequate thought and preparation.

There are others to be found on the Internet.

And yes, the explanation I always heard for “Mind your Ps and Qs” related to the days of manual typesetting. Because they were both reversed when dealing with type, there was a tendency to not recognize that one had picked up the wrong (lower case) one.

The “lock and load” thing is subject to countless Internet debates, some quite heated by people who are only repeating what they heard elsewhere. It does indeed go back before the M16, but some of us believe that it was simply a corruption of the original “load and lock” that makes more sense about earlier weapons because it could refer to loading the weapon and then “locking” it for readiness but not immediate use by engaging the safety or placing the hammer in the half cock position with the percussion cap on the nipple or even the frizzen closed over the (flintlock) pan. Today’s equivalent command in a competition setting is “load and make ready,” i.e., “Load your gun by whatever process is necessary and get ready to shoot, but don’t fire until you receive a follow-up command or signal.”

A command to “lock” the weapon before loading really makes no sense and is unnecessary at best because if the bolt must be open, that’s part of the loading process just as it’s necessary to operate the slide of an autoloading pistol as part of the loading process. Engaging the safety or leaving the hammer at half cock is a separate action that may alert soldiers to be ready, but not to fire immediately. But that’s my opinion, of course, because I wasn’t around when either term originated. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47678 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Believe it or not, the origin of "the whole nine yards" is not officially known. Numerous theories include .30 ammunition belts of WWI, .50 belts of WWII, and cement mixer capacity, but apparently the phrase pre-dates both world wars and the automobile.

The phrase actually appears in writing before 1900!

I had always been told the phrase referred to a bolt of fabric. The amount of a bolt of fabric was determined by the amount required for a monk's robes. Thus to make monk's robes, one needed "the whole nine yards."

Sadly, with the passage of time, things are often lost.

Posts: 3580 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
The phrase "lock and load" is similarly ubiquitous, with many people who use it not even realizing it's a firearm term. Among those that do, there is still confusion concerning its origins. Some people believe it refers to the manual of arms of the M1 Garand, while others insist its origins hailed from the Viet Nam era and M16 operation.

Do not know where that lock and load phrase came from, but we used it in the mid '50s when I enlisted in the army. Standard command when on the ranges.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25656 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjp:
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:

Bruce

I always thought it was fighter planes holding 9 yards of belted 30 cal ammo, the comment being 'i got him but it took the whole 9 yards'

Yes, I remember that one.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25656 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine, a retired Navy fighter pilot (A-6's for those of you who care) and former test pilot (yes, he's got the "right stuff") told me that the term "balls to the wall" comes from flying.

Aircraft controls used to have balls for gripping on the end of the sticks. Pushing them all the way forward, toward the firewall that separated the cockpit from the engine compartment was pushing them "balls to the wall."

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
A friend of mine, a retired Navy fighter pilot (A-6's for those of you who care) and former test pilot (yes, he's got the "right stuff") told me that the term "balls to the wall" comes from flying.

Aircraft controls used to have balls for gripping on the end of the sticks. Pushing them all the way forward, toward the firewall that separated the cockpit from the engine compartment was pushing them "balls to the wall."

"balls to the wall and wet" --- full throttle and water injection engaged.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 252 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
"Lock and Load" goes back to at least the Trapdoor Springfield's and possibly to the Allin and previous conversions to cartridge.

You had to lock the hammer back in order to lift the trapdoor and load the cartridge.

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post