SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Home Warranty? - North Texas
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home Warranty? - North Texas Login/Join 
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted
A relative is buying a home in the DFW area, and the seller is giving them $450 toward a home warranty, and they need to select a provider.

I've never had one of these, but was asked for advice, so of course I came here.

The real estate agent mentioned four companies, in order of the agent's recommendation, they are:
1- One Guard
2- Landmark
3- 2-10
4- American Home Shield

The home is 12 years old. Has a pool, but no hot tub. They will be buying a new refigerator, but all other appliances are original to the house.

If any of you have advice, on these, or other companies in that area, that I can pass on, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Can’t help with the info you are looking for, but if it was my new to me house, first thing I’d do would be to replace the water heater day one.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11304 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I generally think home warranties are a waste of money - and Am Home Shield to be a den of lying snakes.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6424 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stick the 450 in their pocket and RUN!!!

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
I generally think home warranties are a waste of money - and Am Home Shield to be a den of lying snakes.

I had AHS on our first house (seller provided). They were worse than useless. I’d get a good home inspection first, put some money away for repairs, and tell the seller they can pay the premium to and I’ll self-insure.

Posts: 6925 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Stick the 450 in their pocket and RUN!!!

I have to agree

Posts: 26942 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:

I had AHS on our first house (seller provided). They were worse than useless. I’d get a good home inspection first, put some money away for repairs, and tell the seller they can pay the premium to and I’ll self-insure.

Had AHS a couple of times as it was included. They deserve to be out of business. Suspect the others are similar.
Suspect AHS will continue to reap the Karma they have earned.
There is a reason even the repair people hate them.

Posts: 1972 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I had an AHS a/c contractor tell me AHS would never pay to replace my a/c unit that was problematic. He said he had one that the frame was actually falling apart from rust and they told him to patch it up. I did get a new water heater out of the warranty but it was a cheap builder quality model that didn’t last. I’d say take the cash instead.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with the negative comments about the home warranty people. I also agree with the suggestion of your relative having an inspection performed during the option period.

Not to divert the thread but I can make a recommendation for an excellent inspector in the DFW area. I had him inspect a brand new home we were buying. He found numerous issues and code violations. The builder refused to make any of the repairs. We backed out of the deal. The eventual buyers lived there less than 2 years and moved because of issues identified in the inspection.

John

Posts: 416 | Location: Near Dallas, TX | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I do a lot of work for AHS. They do what their contract says, nothing more, nothing less. Just make sure you read what it actually covered. Most people get pissed because they never read the contract and listen to the BS that agents tell them.

THIS IS IMPORTANT. They will not fix pre-existing conditions, never let an agent tell you don't worry you've got the warranty. If it was known prior to signing the contract (home inspection) then it's not covered, or you'll need to lie to get it covered.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20842 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I had already advised they take the money directly, but they are insisting on sticking to the offered/agreed home warranty. I figured if they are going to spend the money that way, I would at least try to find the best of the bad lot.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We bought one on our home in KC but I wouldn't waste the money again. It was a fixer-upper and we did end up getting a little bit paid for when the furnace blower broke but it was only about half what we paid for the warranty. You're basically paying $500 for $200 worth of coverage. Granted you could potentially have a more costly claim paid out but their rules are pretty strict. The problem is if it's a newer home it's likely your not going to have a lot of problems. On the older homes the issue is they won't pay out because the lifetime functionality is prorated and if it's 20 years old they're not going to buy you a new whatever.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Home warrantees are a scam.

I assume they've had their own home inspector look at the place?

The seller can't insist on a home warrantee, if they do, I would think they know something is fucked up, and this is a BS attempt at getting out of it.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27022 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
first thing I’d do would be to replace the water heater day one.

This, for sure! It/they may have been replaced, but if not it will leak and it will be the worst time. Betting it's in the attic in that area.
( moved from McKinney 2017)

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12441 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:

4- American Home Shield

I know nothing about the other 3 but American Home Shield is a giant SCAM of a "company"

They literally exist to happily take your money each year, then merrily find every bullshit excuse in the world to deny your claim. Roll Eyes

I got one with a condo purchase in 2007, then renewed with them the following year but realized they were an utter scam and did not renew again.

They called me 2, 3, 4 times a day for a year. Mad

Posts: 33874 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
When these things first came out 15-20 years ago there was a big push for spec builders to offer them as a way to improve sales.

They cost us about $800-$1000 per home and when a client tried using them they were basically useless as stated above.
We dropped them after a year or so.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6332 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
I agree the warranties are generally worthless, which is why I've never used one. However, I'm one of the people in the family who is often asked for advice on financial matters, and this came up.

I've seen the inspection report. It was extremely thorough, and while there are issues, like with any 12 year old home, none are deal breakers. For example, water pressure in the house was tested at 120psi. For that, and a few other items, the seller is giving cash back at closing to have those things fixed.

This warranty stuff was not brought up earlier, but they are closing next week, and don't want to make any more changes to the deal. So here we are, with them wanting to pick a warranty provider.

Since no one here, has any psotive experiences with these companies, I'm inclined to recommend going with the one who has the least issues according to the BBB. I know that's a terribly flawed system too, but at least there is some data there.

In general it looks like the whole thing is going to be a waste of money, and exercise in futility.

Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
first thing I’d do would be to replace the water heater day one.

This, for sure! It/they may have been replaced, but if not it will leak and it will be the worst time. Betting it's in the attic in that area.
( moved from McKinney 2017)
It's original to construction, but is in the garage. I saw the pics in the inspection report. It doesn't look like a hassle to swap out, but I'm not there to help do that.

Do people really put water heaters in attics? I've only ever seen them in basements, garages, or first floor laundry rooms/utility closets. I know most houses in that area don't have basements, but putting it in the attic seems crazy to me.