SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Removal of hamster from car interior
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Removal of hamster from car interior Login/Join 
posted
A friend of mine purchased a hamster for her daughter. She stopped for an errand and noticed the hamster was no longer in its cardboard container. It escaped somewhere in the interior of the car. Any ideas for hamster removal? Thanks

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Small Have-a-heart trap and food, close it up and wait for it to get hungry...

Or get in close the doors so it doesn't get out and go looking, having some celery or lettuce in hand to draw it out and capture it herself.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oooof! It will find a cranny somewhere and attempt to build itself a nest. It will chew up and shred the foam and stuffings from the interior to do so. Hopefully it does from someplace they won't see it. I would recommend putting a habitat inside the car, with comfy fixins and water along with food in the hopes it uses it instead of making its own. Depending on where they are weather temperature wise, I'd also place a heat source like a small appliance bulb over the habitat. I wish them well. I hope it doesn't end up under or behind the dash.

We had a hamster get loose a couple of times in the house, and it took a couple of weeks each time to find it. It had built a nest each time with shredding's it made from carpeting and papers. One time it made its way into a gap between the kitchen island cabinets, the other it made its way up into the entertainment center and behind the amp. So it used the cables to climb up the back and into the unit. I suppose it was using the amp as a heat source.

Tony

Posts: 314 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Call Richard Gere. No??

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Have a heart trap baited with peanut butter. Tonydec's habitat idea would work too.

My brother and I had hampsters as a kid and they got out a few times. They'll hide when they hear noises or see movement, and then come out when the coast is clear. The most memorable escape was the little shit chewed up Mom and Dad's master bedroom carpet in a spot hidden from view, built a nest with the carpet fibers behind their armoire, after a few days found the hungry guy sleeping in his new nest.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^ Bravo!

The thing about Richard Gere, is when you try to throw him out he goes:

"Don't you do it! Don't! You... I got nowhere else to go! I got nowhere else to g... I got nothin' else."

Posts: 662 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
For the habitat idea put a roll paper towels, news papers, rags or other paper products so maybe it will go for the easy stuff in making its nest instead of the cars interior.

Posts: 18035 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Drop a pet red-tailed boa constrictor in the car. Wait a week. Remove boa.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:

Next step: Get a mongoose, to find the snake.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
You are likely going to need a Honey Badger by the time this is all done. I'd order one now since shipping takes a while.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12439 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
You could always ask James May...he is good at getting the Hampster out of vehicles, and Clarkson would just let him stay there and get another car

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Wait until dark. Open the car interior and shout ARMAGEDDON! Light a match (the light will attract him). Wait.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hopefully they trap the little bugger quickly else they may pay a price with new-found electrical problems, presuming that hamsters have similar taste buds as rats and mice. Damn soy-based wiring harnesses...

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Catching it in a trap is the only way to be sure, and leaving the car with windows up, doors closed runs the risk of it ending up dead, which they will only discover weeks later. Especially in the heat of south if they are down here. Leaving them open risks him getting out and them not knowing. What a mess.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12419 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Removal of hamster from car interior

OH is that what they call it nowadays??

Big Grin

Posts: 11847 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Butch had the same problem many years ago.
He asked around at church and a fella told him to put a pound of lutefisk on the front floor boards and another pound of lutefisk on the rear seat.
"
It's worked for years"

They told him .

Two Sundays later when he was asked about his gerbal problem,
Butch said that the lutefisk worked wonderfully,

But
Now he can't get the swede's out of his car.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54646 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
When my daughter's hamster got loose in the house, we set the cage on the floor. In the middle of the night, we heard a noise coming from her room. It was the hamster running on the exercise wheel.
Maybe you can go buy another hamster and put it in a cage in the car and it will attract the lost one.

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:

Next step: Get a mongoose, to find the snake.

Then a dog . . .

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
I was going to say snake also, but another idea, go to Tacobell, order, eat, leave windows closed, drive around, after about a hour the hamster will be begging to be let out.

Posts: 3572 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Any update?? It's been right at 24 hours...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post