SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SigForum Brain Trust – Need Some Help with a Camera
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SigForum Brain Trust – Need Some Help with a Camera Login/Join 
Picture of 229DAK
posted
Camera: Canon 7DMkII, 8 y/o, light use

Currently on/in the camera: Canon battery, Canon 24-105L, SanDisk Extreme 32Gb CF and SD cards.

Haven’t used it in ~7 months; been sitting on a shelf with a cloth over it to minimize dust. Last time I used it the camera worked fine.

Took it out the other day to use it and turned it on to check the (Canon) battery – drained. Turned it off and replaced it with a charged (Canon) battery. I turned it back on and the camera IMMEDIATELY went into continuous shooting mode at about 3 frames/second. Turned the camera off and it stopped. Tried again – same thing. I can’t get into the menus as it just keeps taking pictures.

Checked the internet – saw something on a power reset (but nothing on this particular issue). Camera OFF, remove all memory cards and battery, close all doors. Turn camera ON, hold shutter button down for 10 seconds. Turn camera OFF. Replace memory cards and battery. Turn camera ON – starts taking pictures again.

There is nothing in the camera manual that addresses this situation.

Any ideas? I know I can always send it to Canon for repair but hoping to maybe find a simple solution first. Thanks, all.

Posts: 9042 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
Most camera batteries get drained through the leds when it is off. Canon may or may not repair detrain models due to "economically Unrepairable"...no parts. Check various Canon forums and see if anyone has a solution. Sometimes, just sometimes, there is a way to reboot them. I know I had to do this successfully with a Nikon Flash I had.

As a side note, I had a Nikon which I payed $1,550 new. Seven or eight years later, I was on assignment and it got knocked off the tripod, landing onto a marble floor. Floor was undamaged, but the camera was kaput. I bought a used one with a low shutter count, same model form a reputable seller on eBay for $250! Look on eBay for used. Lastly, you can check the shutter count an a working camera by using some free online software. You just upload a photo to the site and it will tell you it is number 12,987 frame. Cheers.

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Is is possible that something has gotten wedged in the shutter release so that it is ON all the time? Many digital cameras will take multiple shots if the shutter release is held down.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
I tried jiggling all the buttons and the shutter release but no joy. I believe the shutter release is broken. Frown

Posts: 9042 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
I tried jiggling all the buttons and the shutter release but no joy. I believe the shutter release is broken. Frown

Or teh switch to select single/multiple shots is faulty. Again, there might be a "Reset/Reboot" for teh camera to go back to original settings. Something such as holding down tow buttons at the same time. Call/email Canon

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Official Canon repair facility in Newport News VA. They don't admit people. Must send camera to them. But, at least you can get estimate and then authorize repairs.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post