SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2017/18 Outback 4-banger...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2017/18 Outback 4-banger... Login/Join 
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted
How's the guts on them, especially, say, on an uphill entrance ramp? With and w/o the AC on? Trying to decide between that and the 3.6R. We don't pull trailers or anything. Thanks.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
I purchased a 2017 with the 2.5L 4-Cyl and have not noticed any issues with uphill entrance ramps. It has plenty of go when merging. No difference noticed between AC and no AC.

We normally drive with two adults with luggage for two in the back. No issues.

When driving with five adults in the car, it was noticeable. During that short trip, I felt the extra weight, but it was only 10 miles. Did not have to do any merging or highway entrances during that short trip. Still feel it would "go" pretty good if I needed it.

We've done some longer trips totaling about 5,000 miles, including one 2,800 road trip over a six day period. No issues concerning acceleration. A lot of my driving is local, and I'm averaging 27.5 MPG, with a high of 29.2 MPG.

I did install a hitch myself and will end up towing a small flatbed trailer occasionally, but I have not yet done so. I don't expect any issues towing small stuff around.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 5025 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
No problem in a 2012-4cyl ....only engine difference is last year for a timing belt

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4657 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have a 2016 and haven't noticed any issue in the situation you describe. I have noticed that it really runs out of steam north of 85 MPH.
Probably less of an issue for you in the Midwest but we routinely have 80 MPH limits out West and it can come into play climbing hills at those speeds.

Posts: 2065 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMPinNYC
posted Hide Post
We own a 2011 3.6R, love it, and we've NEVER thought, gee, we should have bought the 2.5 instead... YMMV...

Best regards,
Nick.

NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor

Posts: 710 | Location: Back in northern NJ/NY State Catskills | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a 2013 Subaru Crosstrek 4 cylinder, I assume its a similar engine. It has the CVT transmission. We have 51,000 miles.

Once or twice a month , we have to make a ~15 mile climb that starts at 1200 feet and climbs to ~ 4500. We drive that grade with A/C on and in cruise control at 65 mph ( slower on the curves).....not a problem at all....plenty of power to pass slower vehicles.

Posts: 1298 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
My wife is on her 3rd Outback with the larger engine. They have made many long trips on the Interstate out West as well as off road here on the ranch. We test drove the smaller engines but they didn't have enough guts. In my opinion the smaller engine is OK for city driving but not for the way we use it and I certainly wouldn't want to do a lot of driving in tall country with the small engine

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4373 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
I have the 3.6 in my OB and my buddy has the 2.5 in his Legacy.

For a road trip car that's loaded with people and their crap, the bigger engine makes a difference at speed and when climbing around hills and mountains. It's a land yacht of sorts.

For around town and bombing down the freeway, the 2.5 is more than sufficient and the mileage increase is a boost.

I'm getting around 19 around town, 23 combined and 26.5 on the highway. My buddy is getting around 23 around town, 26 combined and 32+ plus on the freeway.

The OB isn't a light car and it takes a lot of gas to move it around town but considering that it weighs around 3.4k lbs and is AWD, the mileage is pretty remarkable.

Posts: 4254 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
Thanks, all, for your observations. The final decision will be seat of the pants, but I have a better idea what to expect and how to test drive.

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
I just got a 2017 Outback Limited a couple months ago. When I am merging onto the highway, I put it in "manual mode" and use the paddle shifters on the steering wheel to get much better speed and pick up. Once I am on the highway, depending on traffic, I switch back to auto mode.

I upgraded from a 2015 Forester and I love the Outback! Much more room and comfort.

Posts: 4062 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
I really like the outback but Subaru can't make a 4 cylinder to save themselves. The older ones were notorious for head gasket leaks. The newer ones consume a quart of oil every 1000 to 1500 miles. Subaru claims it's normal which is their typical MO; deny there's a problem to the end.

I'd go for the 6. The 4 is a deal breaker for me.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
Love our Outback

Posts: 1982 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pessimist:
I really like the outback but Subaru can't make a 4 cylinder to save themselves. The older ones were notorious for head gasket leaks. The newer ones consume a quart of oil every 1000 to 1500 miles. Subaru claims it's normal which is their typical MO; deny there's a problem to the end.

I'd go for the 6. The 4 is a deal breaker for me.

Head gasket was an issue in the 2000-2005 OB. Don't generalize all recent 4cyl over a few cases. My 2000 OB has 325k miles WITH 2 head gasket changes. My 2009 Forrester needs the original HG changed at 220k miles. We also have the 2012 OB. Will buy another when the time comes.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4657 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DIL has an Outback with the 2.5. Uses better that a quart of oil between oil changes and Subaru states that is normal consumption.

Posts: 7116 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post
I went with the 4 when I bought last fall.

less $ up front
better millage
oil filter on top, I use oil extraction

I have had no concerns when interstate merging.
Yes it was to rev high but it gets you there

AC on or off wont matter, the 4 cyl outbacks (i dont know about the 6) dont use a clutch driven AC, its a variable load system and when you get into the peddle it will reduce the AC compressor load.

When looking I was told if you live in the mountains or tow a lot pick the 6.

Posts: 871 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I have a 2012 Outback and the wife has a 2014 Forrester, both with the 2.5 four. Neither car has oil consumption issues. I just broke 100k miles and did all the major maintenance. The CVT with paddle shifters makes up for the smaller motor when you need to step on it and I like getting 30+ on the highway.

Posts: 7097 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
we celebrate our 2015 Legacy 2.5 4-banger. Same running gear as Outback; power is very adequate in all conditions in our geezer-tours with or without A/C.

If 'keeping up with traffic' is the goal, the 4 cylinder already is more than adequate.

If the driver prefers more acceleration, use of the paddle-shifter is easy and immediate.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9874 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
Thanks, again, all! I use the paddle shifters in my Crosstrek to good advantage which really helps that very marginal 2.0L.

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I have 115k miles on my 2012 Outback with the 2.5i. No oil consumption and the CVT makes the engine work less hard. It just picks a gear ratio, and then it just goes... doesn't hunt for gears, even fully loaded on an uphill.

A quart of oil between changes is not "normal," it's just not out of spec enough for them to fix it as a warranty issue. Every vehicle has a spec limit for oil consumption, and it's usually around a quart between oil changes.

Posts: 13064 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post