SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What's it called when mechanics do this ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's it called when mechanics do this ? Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I was once looking into building a kayak kit that would have required lots of wire to hold plywood parts in place until fiberglass went over them.
I tried finding safety wire pliers then as I knew they existed from my brother-in-law who had been an A&P mechanic.

Posts: 18078 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

I am guessing that the bolts come with the holes pre drilled ?
Yes, for aviation-spec fasteners.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30698 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Safety wire isn't just for holding things it is for keeping things that do come loose from going into engines, intakes, getting into turning mechanisms or your face, last thing you want is a bolt being sucked down an intake tract of a single engine plane at 10,000 ft...

Posts: 23489 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was in the Navy the radio's and a lot of other electronic equipment in airplanes was mounted in racks with wing nuts that were safety wired in place. I remember we used specific gauges of wire and the number of turns/twists per inch was specified.

DF/DG

Posts: 56 | Registered: January 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeff423:
When I was in the Navy the radio's and a lot of other electronic equipment in airplanes was mounted in racks with wing nuts that were safety wired in place. I remember we used specific gauges of wire and the number of turns/twists per inch was specified.

If you saw the documentary about attempting to recover a WW II era 4 engine bomber off the ice in Greenland I think, you will understand why safely securing everything in an airplane is important.

Posts: 7460 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Safety wire isn't just for holding things it is for keeping things that do come loose from going into engines, intakes, getting into turning mechanisms or your face, last thing you want is a bolt being sucked down an intake tract of a single engine plane at 10,000 ft...

Bolt sucked down an intake better than being on fire?

Posts: 7460 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I was once looking into building a kayak kit that would have required lots of wire to hold plywood parts in place until fiberglass went over them.
I tried finding safety wire pliers then as I knew they existed from my brother-in-law who had been an A&P mechanic.

Stitch and glue! Chesapeake Light Craft or Pygmy Boats? I did use my safety wire pliers for the CLC 17 I built.

Posts: 10972 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:

For anything aviation-related, Aircraft Spruce is always a good place to look.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30698 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Trapper—Pygmy Boat. But I never went ahead with it. My son is now married, has a year-old boy, lives 3000 miles away.
Here in CA two granddaughters—no time for anything like building a kayak. And no space. Might get an inflatable with drop-stitched walls, floor. Hear they paddle pretty well.

Posts: 18078 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Had to do it by hand in school, didn't get to use pliers till I got to the shop.
Pretty sure it was 10 per inch.
Working with hydraulics and such in jets everything was safety wired or had a cotter pin.
Small cotter pins tore me up worse than safety wire.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post