SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Artificial Christmas tree recs?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Artificial Christmas tree recs? Login/Join 
posted
Two of us have allergies in the house and we are looking at an artificial tree this year so that we don't have to load up on claratin.

Does anyone have any artificial tree companies, brands or models they recommend? It cannot be prelit (condition of the artificial getting approved) and there is no reasonable size issue as it will be in a room with vaulted ceilings. We have typically gone with Nordlings in the past.

Also any things/tips that don't seem obvious about getting a fake tree?

Posts: 3108 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get a large Christmas tree photo printed and mounted on a pull down window shade. Affix it to the wall where the tree normally would go. Pull shade down for Christmas, roll up after.

Follow me for unique ways of dealing with the holidays.

Awake not woke

Posts: 592 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I like that idea! Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13905 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
We bought a Barcana back in 1990 when living in Dallas. Finally last year we decided we needed a new one. Unfortunately, they did not have in dealers on this side of the country. They have great products and great service. They sent me a new stand for free after we had our tree for about 15 years.

So we settled on a tree from Balsam Hill. we wanted a smaller pre-lit, easier for old farts to carry up and down the stairs. The tree we bought fills the bill but is not quite a realistic as the Barcana tree was.

Posts: 1571 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We bought a Balsam Hill (with lights) on sale a couple of years ago. Even at 40 or 50% off, it was still expensive. I think you can order a sample branch. I recommend you do that if you still can. I was a little disappointed with the color. They have so many models and I'm sure they are all a little different.

Warranty is good. We had the lights on one section go out the 2nd year and they sent a new section right away.

Posts: 619 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
We bought our last one, still have it, at Costco, prelit and it comes in four sections, bottom, middle, upper and top. It has multiple lighting functions from solid white, solid color, several fade settings.

You don't have to wire up anything the lighting connectors are in the trunk, the tree can be put up in a half hour or less including dragging it out of storage, unboxing and putting together.

https://www.costco.com/trees.html

Posts: 24339 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I put up my mom's artificial tree and even though it was an expensive tree w/ lights, the lights start to go over time and I end up stringing lights on it anyway.
My point being, IMO, if you can save some money by getting one w/ out built in lights, I would consider it as when half of them don't work, the ones you add are different bulbs and color.

Posts: 7489 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Balsam Hill. Used. Works great. So much better than finding a cut tree every year.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5216 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After 20 years having an artifical tree, I highly recommend getting one without lights. For the first two years the lights were fine, but then they started to go out; for the last 10 years I have been using string lights and have been happy.

Every year I put it up, cutting off the existing wiring with wire cutters. Eventually all the old wiring will be gone, the tree reverting to the way I should have bought it in the first place.

Posts: 995 | Location: Windermere, Florida | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7740 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oregon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0658:
After 20 years having an artifical tree, I highly recommend getting one without lights. For the first two years the lights were fine, but then they started to go out; for the last 10 years I have been using string lights and have been happy.

Every year I put it up, cutting off the existing wiring with wire cutters. Eventually all the old wiring will be gone, the tree reverting to the way I should have bought it in the first place.

I'll echo this sentiment. The lights will eventually fail, and they are a pain in the ass to remove.

"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"
-Dr. Thaddeus Venture

Posts: 6109 | Location: PDX | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Go to Lowes after Christmas in the returns section and pick out a nice tree for less than half price. Some come with free tinsel. Big Grin

Posts: 11894 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Home Depot also has some decent pre-lit artificial trees.

I bought one a couple of years ago, on Black Friday, for around $65. It is 7.5 feet tall, folds like an umbrella, comes in 3 sections with a good stand, has easy connectors, and the control allows you to have constant white or constant color, slow fade white or color, or alternating white and color. The lights are LED, so no worries about light outages like with the old type bulbs.

Good luck.

Posts: 521 | Location: Middle Alabama | Registered: February 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've noted over time that my allergies flare up if the tree pulled out from storage to set up is the one with phony snow-like stuff on it. The other one is much less trouble.

Back in the mid 1960s I don't recall getting the sneezies from the big aluminum Christmas with the four-color rotating wheel and lamp. Sometimes I see them (or pretty similar) still at the local Home Goods store.

ETA: Target may have them for on-line order but no color wheel.

https://www.target.com/p/vicke...81323034#lnk=sametab

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rat2306,

Posts: 3404 | Location: Fairfax Co. VA | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I moved back in 2011 and bought the Charlie Brown tree for my first Christmas there. I have not taken it down since. I dust it once a month.

Cats and dog leave it alone so it's perfect.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8171 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Balsam Hill, but they are pricey. They have a big sale after Christmas, which is when we bought ours. The other tree we have is great too that we bought on a sale on Black Friday. Watch for the sales.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2040 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post