SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fridge recommendation
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fridge recommendation Login/Join 
posted
Wife has new refrigerator fever. She saw a Home Depot AD for sale on a Samsung. Seems I’ve read some bad reviews here about SS. The net has a lot of negative reviews about SS, especially customer service.

Any experience or recomendations? Prob will buy one without ice maker as past experience tells me no one can build one that lasts a reasonable time.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Our Samsung french door fridge made it exactly 10 years. We never got quality ice cubes and it started making weird noises. Eventually we could no longer adjust either the freezer or fridge temperatures. Then it started adjusting temperatures on its own. From 44° to 34° in the fridge section. Then we couldn't shut the ice maker off. The fridge was replaced with an LG French door style, on sale. Samsung is in the garage not keeping the fridge permanently at 34° and the freezer at -4°

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have Kenmore branded KitchenAide, 2 doors for the fridge, a beverage drawer and bottom freezer. Love it, but the drawers in the freezer are SHIT!

Our Whirlpool side by side resides in my garage, working flawlessly 20 years later, but my wife wanted to replace it with stainless.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
Home Depot saleslady told me 'off the record' Samsung has repair issues, hard and long time to get parts, etc.

Flip side, our Samsung TV is great.

Will be watching this thread as we are looking for a new fridge also.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1375 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Whirlpool/Maytag/Amana. They’re all Whirlpools.

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I’ve had good luck with Frigidaire and Whirlpool refrigerators.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3964 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. Whirlpool.

Posts: 17228 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by urbanwarrior238:
Home Depot saleslady told me 'off the record' Samsung has repair issues, hard and long time to get parts, etc.

I am looking for a new stove/range right now and guy in HD here told me the exact same thing.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by urbanwarrior238:

I’ve had the same experience with Samsung. Not to mention their appliances that I’ve seen were made in China.

———————————————

Posts: 3964 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Do not get a Samsung refrigerator at any cost. It’s a total piece of shit. We have had ours for 3 years, and it’s been nothing but one problem after the next. The first week we could not get it to go below 40 degrees, it took several weeks to finally fix the damn thing, ended up needing a new motherboard. A month later it would start shaking on its own at all times, the service guy Didn’t want to do anything, unless he heard it, finally got new service guy and he put a new compressor in. In between all that we have had continuous ice maker problems, it quits making, or puts out slush,it’s giant pain in the ass. If you must get one , get the extended warranty, you will need it, even the service guy said he would never own one.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

Yep. I just replaced a 16-year old Amana with another Amana.
In some ways I still like the old one better but the cost to repair was too large relative to the price of a new one.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24100 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a Samsung. This link helped us. It’s been a problem...age is now 7 years of B/S.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/-OmI9wAVH5s

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
The issue with Samsung is parts availability and how the pay their service providers.

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob at the Beach:
The issue with Samsung is parts availability and how the pay their service providers.

They have parts availability problems because their appliances are junk and break down so much.

———————————————

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
My recommendation: Avoid Samsung appliances--refrigerators, washers, dryers, etc., like the plague. They make great TVs. And great wireless phones (if you can tolerate Google/Android, mangled by Samsung). But their appliances are to be avoided.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
My Frigidaire refrigerator just crapped out on me after 14 years. It was in good shape still and I called a repairman. He was a gun guy and we got to talking. He advised me that most appliance makers don't make these appliances to even last a decade. He told me that Frigidaire and Whirlpool were the best. He said Samsung and LG are the worst and he often has to tell people that the $3k LG and Samsungs frequently die in just a couple of months to a year after the warranty expires. He was able to fix my refrigerator. Gave me a "gunguy" discount after he let me see his new Glock that was out in his service truck.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

Add KitchenAid to that list....It's a Whirlpool w/ lock washers and fancy trim! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8875 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I have had two Samsung’s. One we left at the home we sold last year. It was 13 years old. The other is 9 years old. Both are/were French doors. The one I still have is the four door. Has the middle drawer that pulls out.

Rock solid, without a single issue.
I see that everyone else here has had terrible issues with their Samsung fridges, but I have had the total opposite experience.
The only thing I could complain about is that when dispensing ice through the door, sometimes I get a cube short or one extra.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
^^^ Yep, Add KitchenAid to that list. They’re all Whirlpools. Between Whirlpool/Maytag/Amana and KitchenAid it all comes down to what kind of deal your retailer has at the time you need one. I think I was kind of lucky with the deal I got on the Amana. Since I have an island in front of where the refrigerator sits, it's a difficult in/out proposition. I also had to take out the cabinets above and shave them 1/2" and put them back. I hope it's at least another 16 years before I do this again.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24100 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I have an RCA from the late 1960s out in the garage. It has only been unplugged to move from state to state, garage to garage. Says something about the "olden days' of US MFD.

Wife and I are noodling on getting a 42" Sub-Zero for our kitchen remodel, but I don't think it's worth the premium.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post