SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Have you ever "failed" a psych test ?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you ever "failed" a psych test ? Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
I put "failed" in quotes, in the sense of using psych testing for purposes other than diagnosing genuine mental illness. If someone is really ill and needs help, a good psych doctor is indespensible. On the other hand, for "normal" people for purposes other than diagnosing and treating genuine mental illness, what's your experience and/or opinion of psych testing ? And do you think they're generally used properly outside of clinical and medical settings ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8716 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
During a period of less than optimal employment, I applied to a number of businesses online that included a personality (psych) test.
I remained unemployed. I must have flunked.
And I would guess I am better off for it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16132 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Not failed but was administered one where there was a written with like a bazillion questions. One of them was something to the effect of do you feel like you are being followed?

I raised my hand and asked. “In relation to question whatever it was....”what if you really are being followed?” This is when I learned......the people giving these things have NO sense of humor.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7698 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Yes.
Several times.
Got the best assignments.

(Group W bench and whatnot...)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43926 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Only took one that I can recall and it was for Chicago PD. Passed it. Their hiring process was such a long wait that I had already moved twice by the time they got around to the final phase. Applied in 2006 and they got to me in 2010.

First section was a scantron with typical questions about alcohol use, drug use, how you felt about certain things, etc. Second part was with a "doctor" who went over the answers with you. It seemed like you had to try in order to "fail."

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Yes. When I graduated college, it took me a while to find a job. Things were getting fairly desperate for me, as my part time college job didn't pay anywhere near enough to cover my real world expenses. It got to the point where I was literally putting in for absolutely any full time employment opportunities I ran across.

Everything was online, and required a lengthy personality inventory. I guess I failed them all, because I couldn't make it past the online screen out portion anywhere.

The only one I remember specifically was Wal-Mart, because it took a long time and then they told me I failed. That one stung, because I was only looking for an entry level position, and I'd have busted ass for them. I have no idea what they were looking for, but it sure wasn't me.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3520 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I failed a police psych test. They hired me. I had no idea I failed the test until several years later, I asked to look through my personnel file, and there it was. A big smack in the face. I still don't know why they hired me after failing???

At another agency I passed with flying colors. Doctor even told me I was cream of the crop. Shrug?

Voice stress analysis went haywire. They tried to get me to admit to off the wall shit, like dog rape and digging up corpses for sex.. The fuck!!?? I think they just had a long day and decided to fuck with someone. It made no sense.

Or, how about the police 3 person interview. I walked into the room to find... Three interviewers and at least 20 brass who sat behind me listening to my answers. Stressful..

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I had to take a more involved psych test after I answered too many questions on the initial test in an "indeterminate" manner.

Most of the questions were the same ones asked over and over in different ways, along with a few batshit crazy questions.

Posts: 1506 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Define "fail" Big Grin

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I applied for a position with a company, and after their "personality test" they told me they thought I was better suited for another position they had (that paid significantly less). They wouldn't budge despite loving me in the interviews. They put so much stock in this ridiculous evaluation.

It all worked out in the end; had I gotten that job I probably wouldn't have even applied for the job I have now, which is much better.

Posts: 3666 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear:

Most of the questions were the same ones asked over and over in different ways, along with a few batshit crazy questions.

That was my experience too when I got hired. Seemed like the same 7 questions worded 20 different ways each in a multiple choice format. Then the sane 7 questions worded 20 different ways each in a fill in the blank style. Then questions about Asian people and women. And fire.

Very long 3 hours.

Posts: 6383 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
In high school I had one that was about 300 multiple choice questions intended to help you select a profession.

I filled it in half systematically (A, B, C, D, A, B, C...) and half randomly.

It might explain why the good fathers treated me the way they did.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31485 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I'm curious. How can refusing to hire a person because they "fail" a psych test not be a form of discrimination against someone who has a disability? Even if the tests were accurate.

It isn't as though a job at Walmart is something that only the most mentally healthy can be trusted with.

Posts: 26954 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want to fill out a questionare that you can really have some fun with, donate blood. Again, those people have no sense of humor.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I took and (apparently) passed the MMPI and an in-person psych interview back when I was hired years ago. A psych eval is mandatory for all prospective LEOs in Arkansas.

The MMPI was ridiculous. Something like 600 true/false questions on a computer, although it was actually more like the same 150 questions asked four different ways each. Took around an hour to complete.

The doc even warned me before I started, jokingly stating "The fun thing about the MMPI is that even if you aren't crazy going into it, you'll go crazy by the end of it!"

You start to go cross-eyed by about question 300. The questions can be pretty freaking weird too... Ranges from stuff like "I think I would like to be a florist" to "My stool is black and tar-like".

Posts: 32562 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I'm curious. How can refusing to hire a person because they "fail" a psych test not be a form of discrimination against someone who has a disability? Even if the tests were accurate.

It isn't as though a job at Walmart is something that only the most mentally healthy can be trusted with.

Because it's not an actual diagnosis of a condition or identifying a disability, it's just a screening tool.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Right. They're not used for diagnosis. They're designed to identify and weed out people with undesirable personality traits, like psychopathic/sociopathic tendencies, extreme egos, paranoia, aggression/anger issues, etc.

Posts: 32562 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
After working for Safeway for five years, I took one for shits and gigs. Failed it.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18027 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I lost several times playing on line checkers with a pretty Chinese girl. Then I showed her how to play tic tac toe... Big Grin

Posts: 17922 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have taken about a half dozen MMPI tests over the years for employment. Only one time did I get a "not recommended" result. I took the test results to another Dr. and by just looking at the scores on bottom of the page he said these are all within the normal range. I think I must have got the guy with a hard on for LEOs.

Posts: 5428 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post