SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Suggestions for a "Tech Tips & Tricks for a More Productive 2020" session I am going to give
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions for a "Tech Tips & Tricks for a More Productive 2020" session I am going to give Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
I will have 4 45 minute sessions to give to employees. I have some ideas and of course Google turns up millions of tips, but I figure someone here at the forum has either done this or has some really cool sites or tips that I could use. Here is the description of the session:

quote:
Technology is supposed to make our lives easier and simpler, right? In this session, you’ll discover ways to leverage technology to your advantage both at work and in your personal life. We will discuss various tips, tricks and “tech hacks” that can help you work and live smarter. If you want to better maximize the tools at your fingertips but don't know where to start, we have you covered!

I have plenty of time - the sessions are in February. Thanks for any tips!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
I learned how to record the screen in power point last night. Now if I can sort out how to recird audio at the same time or overdub audio to the recording, I will be able to create HOWTO videos to use for onboarding new hires. I was thrilled, might not be what you seek. Smile

Posts: 3580 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aller Anfang ist schwer
Picture of Tavman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
I learned how to record the screen in power point last night. Now if I can sort out how to recird audio at the same time or overdub audio to the recording, I will be able to create HOWTO videos to use for onboarding new hires. I was thrilled, might not be what you seek. Smile
\

ffips:
Check out OBS Studio. Open source and will do what you're wanting.

Posts: 1700 | Location: Fayetteville, AR | Registered: May 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Keyboard shortcuts for my work is a massive time-saver!

Using multiple monitors.

Using a text editor to keep notes *I use Notepad++

Utilizing a good keyboard can help increase your typing speed.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4358 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Awhile back, rocket books were mentioned. Allows one to stop/slow paper consumption and digitize notes. It takes a bit to get used to, but can be a time saver and increase productivity while digitally preserving data.

quote:
Originally posted by Tavman:
ffips:
Check out OBS Studio. Open source and will do what you're wanting.

Thank you, I will look into it.

Posts: 3580 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Low-tech suggestion:

Instead of 4 x 45 minute sessions, I'd do 40 x 4.5 minutes.

The true keyboard cowboy is a master of keyboard shortcuts.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I used to use an old desktop to prop my office door open. Best door stop ever because I was using a computer to do it.

Posts: 11612 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
help you work and live smarter

Here's one: whenever you go out to eat, go to the gym, go out to a movie, visit friends ...... LEAVE YOU PHONE ELSEWHERE.

Posts: 23195 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’ll make this suggestion. Do a section on “Making Technology Serve You; Don’t Be a Servant to Technology.” What are technological products and Apps that you should do without. What features and Apps should you disable on your smart devices to minimize the data mining that companies are taking from you without compensation and without your informed consent to sell or exploit.

I’d attend that seminar

Posts: 13565 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Do a presentation on personal security.

• Never use the same or very similar password for multiple accounts
  • Learn to use "tagged" email addresses wherever you can
  • Learn to use a keyring on your mobile devices to keep track of all your different identities and passwords. Use a very strong pass phrase to lock it.
  • Freeze credit reporting at all the major agencies (Equifax, Experian and TransUnion), as well as at ChexSystems (used for bank account verifications) and NCTUE (utilities account verifications). Keep the PINs, etc. in your keyring.
  • Sign up for an identity theft protection plan. Install their app on your mobile devices and enable notifications. Keep your credentials for that in your keyring.
  • Use Apple Pay or Android Pay wherever possible, rather than a physical credit or debit card
  • Keep your mobile device safe and secure, which includes avoiding installing unnecessary apps, particularly games and social media apps (FaceBook, Twitter, etc.).

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
My most simple hack is the use of Alt-Tab on the keyboard to cycle between open programs (Windows). I am amazed at the number of people that don't know how to do this. They share their screen, and have 30 open windows, and it takes them forever to pick the last program they had open (cycling between 2 or 3 open windows).

Posts: 5817 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
My wife is software QA director of her company and uses Snagit software to illustrate processes and demonstrate bugs to the developers. Also to create onboarding guides for training her new people. She swears by it.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7392 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here's one: whenever you go out to eat, go to the gym, go out to a movie, visit friends ...... LEAVE YOU PHONE ELSEWHERE.

^^^^^^^^^
Yep. Also point out that multitasking for humans is a poor idea. Face to face conversation is important. Technology is a tool, nothing more.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
The biggest time saver I think I've found is to use a password manager. I have to remember one password/passphrase and periodically have to type it into my computer. I let the manager create my passwords to websites which can be complicated because I don't have to remember them. It auto-fills most sites and the app on my phone can be accessed via fingerprint scanner.

Saves a TON of time and my passwords are secure.

Posts: 11206 | Location: The Magnolia State | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
help you work and live smarter

^^^This. The best way to improve your already busy life is to walk away from your phone first and the computer second for a set period of time each week, For me, I no longer carry my phone on Sunday, and anyone who knows me knows they won't be getting a phone call back until Monday (unless its an emergency). Get outside without your phone and enjoy the world around you.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Turn off email notifications on laptop, PC and especially phone and watch.

I understand email is important for working folks and you'll have people that will email rather than call or text for urgent-ish items, but avoiding the Pavlovian conditioning you see of breaking your train of thought, conversation or work in progress to glance/read/reply to every single email the moment it lands is ultimately a huge time killer throughout the day.

Taken further, set aside 2 or 3 periods of time that you'll next turn over to email to address open/new items rather than bouncing around constantly.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12670 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post