SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Arctic Cool Shirts?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Arctic Cool Shirts? Login/Join 
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted
Has anyone tried these shirts? I always seem to "run hot". I'd love something that can really cool me.

https://arcticcool.com/Shop/

Thoughts?

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
All Arctic Cool Instant Cooling Shirts are made from a 92% polyester/ 8% spandex textile blend

Seems like they are like many other athletic type shirts. Lots of marketing style wording going on.

I haven't tried any of there shirts so I can't say how they work in real life. I do wear Under Armour, Nike, Northface and other of these type shirts when doing outdoor activities.

If it's warm out and your moving around your going to get hot. A good wind helps when wearing any of these shirts. That and get them wet and they will all have some cooling effect.

I buy most of these types of shirts more for whats on sale then any one brand.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16450 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Again not that brand specifically but I have some of that ilk that I work in. Yes they do seem to be cooler, in that they take the sweat off quickly. The collar is made from a different fabric and it is obvious, always damp and warmer that the rest of the shirt.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5236 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I am not familiar with that particular brand but I am presuming it may be similar to Columbia's Omni Freeze line.
They do not work like your typical moisture wicking performance fabric that just keeps the sweat off of you.
Your sweat or any moisture for that matter activates some sort of material that actually becomes cold.
While it does work at first if you are wearing it for an extended period of time the cooling effect seems to wear off though one may be just acclimating to the lower temp.
I have 1 that was free when they were first promoting them years back. I have trouble paying $15 for a Tshirt let alone $40 so I do not have any more. Plus they do not come in Large Tall.

http://www.columbia.com/technology-omnifreezezero/

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25674 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I have UnderArmour, and store brand shirts from all the big sports stores. The price is what always got to me...
I did find some "moisture wicking" t shirts on eBay a while back. They were $3 apiece. I was skeptical, but they have held up just as well as my "name brand" shirts....YMMV.

Posts: 6345 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Has anyone tried these shirts? I always seem to "run hot". I'd love something that can really cool me.

Thoughts?

I sold clothing for one of the major brands that promotes cooling technology in apparel. The chemical used is Xylitol, it's a sugar that's extracted from birch trees (I maybe wrong on that but, it definitely is a plant-based chemical) used in spearmint/wintermint gum and as sugar substitute. How it works is when it or, whatever it's applied to comes in contact with moisture, in this case your perspiration, it reacts with a cooling sensation that you feel on your skin. It shouldn't wear off provided it was applied correctly at the mill. There's a wide variety of brands that have jumped on this technology and they all use their own marketed names for the same thing: Omni-Freeze, Sol Cool, FROS-T, Iso-Chill... You mainly find this used on knit fabrics.

The newest cooling technology coming out is using stone dust, mainly jade (yes, that hard green stone from Asia), that is embedded into the fibers of the fabric. Instead of your body having to produce sweet in order to feel that cooling sensation, the jade automatically provides that cool touch. The idea is like touching a statue that's been exposed to the sun all day, it's cold or, cooler than you expect as stone doesn't conduct heat very well. It's more expensive technology and it provides manufactures a different option, one that they can use it on woven fabrics.

Overall keep expectations within reason, these shirts will only cool the surface of your skin maybe 5-degrees. 110-degrees sucks but, a little bit of cooling helps if you've got a project to do and no shade or, wind around.

Posts: 15055 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
I sold clothing for one of the major brands that promotes cooling technology in apparel. The chemical used is Xylitol, it's a sugar that's extracted from birch trees (I maybe wrong on that but, it definitely is a plant-based chemical) used in spearmint/wintermint gum and as sugar substitute. How it works is when it or, whatever it's applied to comes in contact with moisture, in this case your perspiration, it reacts with a cooling sensation that you feel on your skin. It shouldn't wear off provided it was applied correctly at the mill. There's a wide variety of brands that have jumped on this technology and they all use their own marketed names for the same thing: Omni-Freeze, Sol Cool, FROS-T, Iso-Chill... You mainly find this used on knit fabrics.

The newest cooling technology coming out is using stone dust, mainly jade (yes, that hard green stone from Asia), that is embedded into the fibers of the fabric. Instead of your body having to produce sweet in order to feel that cooling sensation, the jade automatically provides that cool touch. The idea is like touching a statue that's been exposed to the sun all day, it's cold or, cooler than you expect as stone doesn't conduct heat very well. It's more expensive technology and it provides manufactures a different option, one that they can use it on woven fabrics.

Overall keep expectations within reason, these shirts will only cool the surface of your skin maybe 5-degrees. 110-degrees sucks but, a little bit of cooling helps if you've got a project to do and no shade or, wind around.

Corsair,
VERY interesting. Thank you. Do you have to launder them some special way?

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
The newest cooling technology coming out is using stone dust, mainly jade (yes, that hard green stone from Asia), that is embedded into the fibers of the fabric.

I have a pair of Duluth Trading Co. Armachillo underwear that utilize this.
It is very nice and cooling but kind of pricey. They other thing I notice with these underpants especially compared to their buck naked models is if you sweat in the slightest the funk arromating from the crotch seems to be amplified.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25674 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
Corsair,
VERY interesting. Thank you. Do you have to launder them some special way?

Launder cold water, with all your colored wash, if it's synthetic, don't bake in the dryer and DO NOT DRY CLEAN.

quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
The newest cooling technology coming out is using stone dust, mainly jade (yes, that hard green stone from Asia), that is embedded into the fibers of the fabric.

I have a pair of Duluth Trading Co. Armachillo underwear that utilize this.
It is very nice and cooling but kind of pricey. They other thing I notice with these underpants especially compared to their buck naked models is if you sweat in the slightest the funk arromating from the crotch seems to be amplified.

Try ExOfficio's underwear, it's where Duluth got their inspiration...and no smell.

Posts: 15055 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Thoughts?

With some reading, it sounds like there are a variety of mechanisms.

The Columbia Omni-Freeze Ice products use an embedded crystal derived from corn that turns from a solid to a gel when it gets wet, absorbing some heat in the process.

Columbia Omni-Freeze Zero uses some kind of laminated polymer rings that swell when they get wet, absorbing some heat in the process. They don't say what it is except that it is related to some industrial filtration product.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Try ExOfficio's underwear, it's where Duluth got their inspiration...and no smell.

I've been wearing ExOfficio for almost a decade. It's absolutely worth $20-30/pair. I always buy it from REI, so it's either on sale, or I'm getting my dividend on it anyway.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16312 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Coffeeaddict has several long sleeve shirts of this variety that she is wearing almost every day now. She is outside all day every day working horses and swears by them - they prevent her from getting sunburned and really help keep her cool.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post