SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Forum newbie : Anyone out there have info on SIG and Beretta M9 US-issued pistols
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Forum newbie : Anyone out there have info on SIG and Beretta M9 US-issued pistols Login/Join 
posted
Hello. I'm new to forum. I'm trying to learn more about SIG (and even Beretta M9!) pistols issued to US armed forces that are now available for purchase by civilians. Any suggestions on good reference sources (articles, books, experts here on the forum)? I'm just interested in the SIG and Beretta M9s -- there is already a ton out there on 1911s.
Thanks much! David

Posts: 2 | Location: CT | Registered: November 14, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome David, You will have better luck posting this in the sig pistol section

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
This Tread has a lot of info.

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Yes, Q's thread is pretty comprehensive.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You don’t want a surplus beretta M9, trust me..
now you can get a commercially available M9 from beretta, it’s identical and won’t be absolutely beat to shit and missing half of the finish and covered in paint marker. And they are only 600 bucks.

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I was an armorer in the service and worked on M9s and the Sig P229DAK. When we finally couldn’t make them go anymore, they were turned into SARF where they were destroyed. And I’m not sure if they can even be sold off as surplus. Laws have been put into place with regards to federally owned firearms. Even from different agencies than DOD or DHS, they can’t be sold and must be destroyed.

Your best bet is to buy from the civilian market. There is no difference between the M9 a standard 92 . Same with the Sig

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11285 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are a couple subtle differences between an M9 and a standard model 92. Besides roll marks the M9 had a straight dust cover, the 92 has a slight curve to it. The 92 is going to come with the bar dot sights, and plastic guide rod. And the M9 will have the lanyard loop at the bottom of the main spring housing.

It’s nothing that most people will notice or care about and they are going to sell M9’a to civilians through the CMP. I don’t know what the price or timeline is because I sure as hell don’t want one

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
There are a couple subtle differences between an M9 and a standard model 92. Besides roll marks the M9 had a straight dust cover, the 92 has a slight curve to it. The 92 is going to come with the bar dot sights, and plastic guide rod. And the M9 will have the lanyard loop at the bottom of the main spring housing.

It’s nothing that most people will notice or care about and they are going to sell M9’a to civilians through the CMP. I don’t know what the price or timeline is because I sure as hell don’t want one

Considering I carried an M9 in a combat zone for close to 3 years, I wouldn’t Mind the chance to have an actual issue one for sentimental reasons.
Unlike in the mid 1980’s there are now tons of 15 shot 9mm pistols. I always shot an M9 very well, and still think it a fine pistol.

Posts: 3292 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by limblessbiff:

Considering I carried an M9 in a combat zone for close to 3 years, I wouldn’t Mind the chance to have an actual issue one for sentimental reasons.
Unlike in the mid 1980’s there are now tons of 15 shot 9mm pistols. I always shot an M9 very well, and still think it a fine pistol.I doubt the CMP part of the story ( though it would be nice!) I suspect these pistols will be rebuilt then given away to our allies as military aid.

Posts: 3292 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was an MP so I carried one too but I just opted for the commercial M9, just like my army one but pretty. I honestly thought about using a paint marker to put my weapon number on the grip.
But what I ended up doing was keeping the stock grips and the rear sight but I gutted the pistol and packed it full of Wilson combat and LTT parts and converted it to a G model. The thing is a total sleeper now.

And after looking into the cmp thing looks like the cmp is trying to make that happen but it hasn’t been decided yet so we’ll see. Makes sense that they will since they approved the 1911’s