SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trail Cam For Home Surveillance?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trail Cam For Home Surveillance? Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
We've had many threads on the various multi-camera web-based computer cameras. I just don't have the money to put that kind of system up (something about a couple of weddings where I get to play Steve Martin as father of the brides).

So, what trail cam might work well for lashing onto a tree at my residence? I would like to see what happens during the day and at night. Someone is tossing trash into my yard, someone is letting their dog whiz on my flowers, and we do have a few car burglaries from time to time.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB3
posted Hide Post
As long as they do not steal your trail cam with the card in it, not a bad idea.
I got a used Nest Outdoor camera off Craigslist for $75 just after the holidays, so you may want to check your local ads.

Blaming the crime on the gun, is like blaming a bad story on the pencil.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Saint Charles Missouri | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was looking at home camera systems and they can be had for around $300ish.

You will want a trail cam with a black flash otherwise you will get a red IR flash that will be visible. If you flash is visible someone will probably steal it. A black flash trail cam is going be around $150. Plus you will need a memory card so factor in another $30.

You will be very limited with your field of view and distance on a trail cam. If its not pointed directly where the action happens your not going to see squat.

I would really look into a low end camera system.

Posts: 5405 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JSB3:
As long as they do not steal your trail cam with the card in it, not a bad idea.
I got a used Nest Outdoor camera off Craigslist for $75 just after the holidays, so you may want to check your local ads.

I've been happy with my best camera other than the subscription fee adds up when you add additional cameras. I second checking Craigslist and Facebook marketplace. Some good deals to be had if you are patient.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I have a bunch of Bushnell Trophy cameras. You can use a Master Lock Python cable to lock it to a tree.

Here is the model 119736 for around $100 that takes stills and video clips up to 60 seconds and reset of 1 second.

http://www.ebay.com/p/Bushnell...l-119736C/2068851547

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Master...%26sd%3D151778193936

You can get a small lock at Walmart or Lowes to lock the box. I would use a ladder to mount the camera high enough that it can't be reached from the ground.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
If it is up in a tree and fairly visible, it might be fun to hide yet another camera positioned to watch theft attempts on that first camera. Considering the Darwinian behaviors by past thieves of objects in precariously placed positions, there might be some You-tube gold to be mined there. Big Grin

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7227 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post