SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is Hawaii?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is Hawaii? Login/Join 
posted
Last time I checked it was a chain of islands in the pacific. So why are the news channels raising hell at Jeff Sessions about calling it what it is? Slow news day? Major case if the stupids? Think I will complain that they call themselves news channels! Seems appropriate!

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
Anything to try to discredit the administration

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7924 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I must have missed this.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
They better be careful, they might go full Guam, and flip over.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44498 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I must have missed this.

flashguy

About halting the President's immigration order temporarily banning travelers from certain countries...The judge is in Hawaii. Sessions said something about "one judge on an island in the Pacific" or something like that in regards to his court order. Hence the stupid controversy.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30952 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devil's Advocate
Picture of Holger Danske
posted Hide Post
Some would think that it's one of the fifty sovereign states that jointly make up the United States of America -- you know, federalism, state's rights. Some would also think that the judiciary is a coequal branch of government under the Constitution (Art I -- Congress, Art II -- Executive, Art III -- Judiciary).

Apparently, some think that Hawaii is an irrelevant "island," and that the judiciary of that irrelevant island has no business sticking it's nose into the power of what over the last few decades has become the imperial presidency. There used to be a lot of bitching about that when Obama was president.

________
Homo sum: humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 1080 | Location: Baton Rouge | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
The Hawaiian Islands are beautiful to visit, and it's nice not to have to use a Passport to do that, but from a gun owner's POV it's a waste of space. Not only that, about half the population wants to return to being a monarchy, I think. Yes--it's a State, with full privileges (and responsibilities) as such, but some people just get too much incensed about minor things.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Sort of a Republican version of when a Democrat takes a shit on Arkansas, for example, because it's "flyover country".

See, it's okay when the Democrats do it, because those from flyover country are all backwards hicks, who need the enlightened and benevolent oversight of the more progressive types on the coasts. It's not okay when a Republican does it, because they're all backwards hicks from flyover country.

(It's not really okay either way, since they're all part of the Union and kinda sorta important to how our nation operates)

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17089 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
It's an attempt to diss the administration any way they can especially since it's about immigration policy.

I think the person misspoke when he called Hawaii an island when it's composed of more than one island which makes it an archipelago.

However, they want to make this the argument instead of whether one state can stop a policy that affects the whole nation.

I think one of the inland conservative states should file a symbolic protest against the travel ban just to make the point.

Immigration policy isn't just about any one state. I don't understand how any one state can gum up the works.

Didn't previous administrations have a big hammer? "fine, you don't want to follow Federal leadership? No Federal funds for your state!"

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20079 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:

However, they want to make this the argument instead of whether one state can stop a policy that affects the whole nation.

Sessions point was that not many illegals are crossing the border (by swimming) to this "Island." he has a point. There are not a lot of illegal border crossings there as opposed, to say, Texas or Arizona. So the judge there should STFU.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11106 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerkyjer
posted Hide Post
Don't native Hawaiians prefer the term Hawaiians or islanders to Americans anyway?

Whitey dost protest too much...or some of them.

War Eagle!

Posts: 210 | Registered: April 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
They better be careful, they might go full Guam, and flip over.

That guy's (Hank Johnson) water carrier, Jon Ossoff, is the 30 year old the Democrats are trying to get elected to Congress from Georgia.

Posts: 9833 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mark Levin spent a bit of time early in his show yesterday talking about this. As expected, be made a mockery, a rightly so, of those making a big deal over Session's reference to Hawaii as an 'island'.

Posts: 3589 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Geologically it's a pimple on the ass of the Pacific Ocean.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32053 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
The state of Hawaii is comprised of several islands, the largest of which is named Hawaii.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted Hide Post
Actually, Sessions is exactly correct. The judge is located on one (and only one) island at a time. So the judge's ruling must have emanated from one island, although it is the judges ruling for all of Hawaii, it can only be released from one island.

Yes, I know it's a matter of semantics.........

The much more important issue is do the States have the right to not enforce the National laws?

I can imagine the discussions in DC now about marijuana and States rights vs National laws.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rockwall County (God's Country) TX | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
It wouldn't bother me if we went back to 49 states. Been there once, that was enough. Roll Eyes

Posts: 4061 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Hawaii is a tiny tail under the illusion that it can wag a much larger dog.

Posts: 4568 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post