SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pressure Cooker. What do to with one?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pressure Cooker. What do to with one? Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted
I was just gifted a nice pressure cooker, and I have no idea what to do with it.

Oh, I know it's for cooking stuff, my mother had them when I was a kid, and we ate all manner of boiled stuff that I cordially hated. Boiled chicken, carrots, peas and potatoes, for example. Boiled food is how I discovered Worcestershire sauce. At least it had taste.

We also re-heated frozen stuff in it, but pretty much quit that when the microwave was invented.

I love my mom, but she was no cook, particularly when she was short of time, but I digress...

So, to the main question! What is a good use for this thing? Does any one have any totally super freaking awesome pressure cooker recipes to share?

Help me out here. Give me some good stuff to justify the space being taken up in my closet!

Thank you!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12798 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Soups and stocks.

Posts: 9058 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Is it an old school stovetop pressure cooker, or a new school plug-in "Instant Pot" (or clone)?

Think of it like a slow cooker/crockpot, only it's not slow. Big Grin

So anything that you'd make in a slow cooker would also be good in it. Stuff like roasts, poultry, potatoes, stews, soups, etc.

Posts: 32558 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Meat like roast. Potatoes, the best pheasant I ever ate was pressure cooked. A good friend of mine, rest her soul used one for almost everything she made.
Maybe utube it.
Do you can?

What is the pressure cooker you where given?.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19251 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
This is the old school kind, no high speed, low drag, fuel injected, computerized, plug in stuff for me. Nosiree!

Stainless steel, stovetop pressure vessel, this is.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12798 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Ah. I've got a ton of recipes for the Instant Pot, but none for the old school types.

Posts: 32558 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I do know that it will "quick do" a damned good beef stew.

Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I put a pork should in mine and made some good BBQ.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16413 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Roasts and other tough meats... pork roasts, chuck roasts, whole chickens. A heirloom chicken from Trader Joes for about 24 minutes with a finish in the broiler is on par with rotisserie chicken in my experience.

It is fantastic for soups. No recipe... just throw some stock and a protein and veggies in there and let it go.

Speaking of stock... use that chicken carcass after you've picked it clean, add some spices and veggies and make a stock...

rendering tallow/lard

braised short ribs!

Posts: 6382 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also pressure canning meats.

“Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.”

John Adams

Posts: 317 | Location: Land of 10000 Taxes | Registered: March 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
6 minute boiled eggs, 10 minute perfectly cooked dried beans.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34140 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Soups, stock, stews out of tough cuts

Posts: 14696 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
A nice Fissler came my way a little while ago. Supposedly the top of the line stainless steel pressure cooker. I have made a pasta dish and a Kung Pao chicken dish. Both were above average. The pressure cooker really seems to condense the flavor. You can adapt any of the ten million Insta-Pot recipes that are out there to a standard pressure cooker. I had an Insta-Pot and didn't get along with it but a stand alone pressure cooker is more to my liking. I don't like gadgets that claim to do ten different things and have a computerized control panel as an interface.

Search pressure cooker recipes and you will have much to read.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8539 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
My mother used to do pot roast in the pressure cooker. I do it in the slow cooker (crock pot).

And soups. All kinds of soups.

Here's a recipe book, free download:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/...-471611392237473113/

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30737 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Make chili faster. It takes the same amount of time for prep, browning the beef, and sauteeing the onions but the tenderizing and melding flavors stage (ie simmering) is much faster.

My normal chili recipe the simmering stage is 2.5 hours. This serious eats pressure cooker recipe takes that stage down to 30 minutes.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23319 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
Well, my pressure cooker is modern and computerized. However, I have two books of recipes that should also work well with the traditional pressure cookers:
1. "Great Food Fast" by Bob Warden
2. "Slow Food Fast" by Bob Warden

Also, you can do a rack of pork ribs by slicing the rack to fit the cooker, add 1 can of dark beer, pressure cook for 50-55 minutes.
After that time, allow 10 minutes for the pressure to drop naturally, then purge the cooker with the valve. Remove ribs and place on a cookie sheet. Swab the ribs with your favorite BBQ sauce (mine is Sweet Baby Rays) and place under the broiler until charred.

Good luck!

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
This is the old school kind, no high speed, low drag, fuel injected, computerized, plug in stuff for me. Nosiree!

Stainless steel, stovetop pressure vessel, this is.

That’s what I have too. Fagor brand (Spain). You can cook potatoes for mashing super fast. My mother used a pressure cooker for half of everything she cooked. Including from-scratch soup and chili. The only reasonable way to cook dried beans.

Great to make tender, tasty, pot roast from tougher cuts of beef.

And, unlike Instantpots, my stovetop pressure cooker fits into my cabinet.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9003 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like I was typing as the same was just posted.

They are great for making mashed potatoes really quick. My mom would always use hers for Sunday dinners, and she would do the mashed potatoes after everything else was ready. I asked my mom if she still had the old school pressure cooker, but it must have been lost in one her last couple of moves across the country.

My mom was an incredible cook, I have a lot of fond memories of so many of her dishes.

She also kindled and sparked my interest in both cooking and baking.

Posts: 247 | Location: Utah | Registered: June 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
FWIW. My sister had an electric (plug in the wall) pressure, not an instantpot. Seemed like a great ideal, she used it a lot and fed me often.

Posts: 11865 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Before we got rid of it we let it sit in a cabinet, and we feared it.

Posts: 7547 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post