SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So my Submariner came back from service
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So my Submariner came back from service Login/Join 
The Ice Cream Man
posted
Apparently, its a 1680/0 model. Never really knew...

And, my old "Rat Rod" of a Rolex is now pristine, without a dent, or scuff, or scratch, aside from some pitting on the case back, from when I used to wear it in an environment which was corrosive to stainless.

There's no point in posting pics, as its completely devoid of all marks...

And, I'm debating about keeping it nice. Frankly, I'm not up to all the craziness which beat it up, in the first place. (It got sent back to Rolex, twice, with pieces in a ziplock bag, and they never polished it like this.)

Maybe its the result of quadrupling the service fee, maybe its because they had to replace the crown...

Posts: 5930 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Low Country, SC. | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I’d like to see pics, for what it’s worth.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9750 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I would also like to see pix. Also, who did the service for you?

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
How does the old saying go, "without pics it didn't happen".

Posts: 13718 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Aglifter, I know what you mean about your watch coming back pristine. My wife had my 30+ year old Submariner overhauled several years ago. It did look like new when I got it back. I continue to wear it every day.

NRA Life

Posts: 1581 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I had it serviced at Rolex. This was the fourth or fifth time I had it serviced, but the first time they completely restored it.

I didn’t think to talk to them about leaving all the scratches, dings and dents... And, I can see how a watchmaker would be more into making it pristine. It just doesn’t feel like “my” watch anymore...

(As one friend mentioned, “my” watch was cool, from showing signs of decades of rough use, whereas his watch just proclaimed that he could buy an expensive watch - he has cooler watches. I bust his chops about that watch all the time. He bought it when he was young, and first made money.)

Posts: 5930 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Low Country, SC. | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I should wait, at least, until I get it off the bracelet and on an MN strap. Looks like I should be diamond earrings with it, and a sparkly shirt right now

Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
I had it serviced at Rolex. This was the fourth or fifth time I had it serviced, but the first time they completely restored it.

I didn’t think to talk to them about leaving all the scratches, dings and dents... And, I can see how a watchmaker would be more into making it pristine. It just doesn’t feel like “my” watch anymore...

(As one friend mentioned, “my” watch was cool, from showing signs of decades of rough use, whereas his watch just proclaimed that he could buy an expensive watch - he has cooler watches. I bust his chops about that watch all the time. He bought it when he was young, and first made money.)

Wear it!

Remember, when you bought it new it looked like this. Make it your own again through wear.

I have a 16800 I bought in 1982, had it serviced, wore it for @ 2 ~ 3 months after the latest service and decided to give it to my daughter's fiancee when they get married, so for that reason I don't wear it - otherwise I'd be beating it like a rented mule!

Posts: 2845 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
Aglifter, do you mind emailing me the cost of the service and which Rolex service center you sent it to? I have a 10 year old Submariner that need service. Email is in my profile. Thanks.

Posts: 1917 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
It was about $1250, and I sent it to Dallas.

Picture of DC3S
posted Hide Post
If you’re looking for service on a Rolex, or other top brand, you may try Fidelity restoration.

http://www.mitime.com/

"Freedom is a light for which many men have died in darkness."

Posts: 212 | Location: FL USA | Registered: February 03, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That’s not a terrible price for a service. My uncle recently mentioned to me that he owns a beaten to hell old Submariner that is inoperable currently and spent lots of time in salt water. Now I’m feeling more motivated to follow up on that. Hmmmm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21238 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It was about $1250, and I sent it to Dallas.

That's about the same price I paid when I had my GMT Master serviced in Dallas. They really do look like new when they come back.

Posts: 238 | Registered: March 11, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
What was the turn around time? My Seadweller is embarrassingly long overdue and I’m not traveling anytime soon so it’s probably a good time to send it out in case it takes a while.

Posts: 6960 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
It took a few months. I suppose it’s not bad, but it was quite a jump.

I bought my Glycine Airman, as I kept being late.

The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
TMK, salt isn’t corrosive to the stainless they use. I used to spend more time on the production floor. Dairy is CIP’d by pumping a lye solution, to strip the nickel off the stainless, then pumping an acidic solution to repassivate the stainless.

That was what corroded mine,

Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I sent mine off last year, and it came back looking literally brand new. It was pristine, shiny, and just perfect in every way (all stainless with black dial/bezel Submariner with date window).

My father left it to me. He had gotten it used, and I think neither he nor the previous owner(s) really pampered it. It actually stopped running on me when it was maybe only about 23 years old.

The way I treat it, it should be good to go for another 40-60 yrs or so.

I took it to Ben Bridge Jewelers who sent it off to (IIRC) Philly for the Rolex servicing center. It set me back around $900, but it was worth it. I think it took about a month or two turn-around time.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21928 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is huge schism in the Rolex community about restoring and polishing vs just servicing the guts to run properly. Some would say a full case polish and new hands and face and crystal if scratched Up severely detracts from value and leaving it in its used state would make it more valuable. I’m torn on the issue myself. I have 2 Rolex ( sub and explorer 2) and not sure what I will do when a service is needed. But I also don’t plan to sell and hopefully pass to my son and daughter someday. End of the day it’s your watch and you get to do whatever you want to it.

Posts: 4978 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
There is huge schism in the Rolex community about restoring and polishing vs just servicing the guts to run properly. Some would say a full case polish and new hands and face and crystal if scratched Up severely detracts from value and leaving it in its used state would make it more valuable. I’m torn on the issue myself. I have 2 Rolex ( sub and explorer 2) and not sure what I will do when a service is needed. But I also don’t plan to sell and hopefully pass to my son and daughter someday. End of the day it’s your watch and you get to do whatever you want to it.

Perhaps if it's a very rare model, leave it alone. But I agree it's your watch and do what you want with it. I have a 40mm s/s platinum yachtmaster I wear almost daily. I bought in new in 2012 and plan on sending it in, in a few years for a service, and while it's in very good shape as it is, I will have them make it look like new.

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P210:
...My Seadweller is embarrassingly long overdue ....

Credit to Watchumor on Instagram

Posts: 11433 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post