SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Lawn mower question/problem
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lawn mower question/problem Login/Join 
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted
Problem:Mower fails to cut dandelions off, gets flower and part of stem but fails on clean cut.

Newly sharpened blades, mower under side cleaned out, and driving extra slow. But still have the problem. Seems 10 times worse this year compared to previous years.

Any thoughts?

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4139 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Yeah, they seem to bend over when you push the deck over them and if you don't have high lift blades they stay bent over and don't get cut.

To be honest, it doesn't master if you cut them anyway. They'll be back tomorrow.

Posts: 45382 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
They'll be back tomorrow.

Yes.

This year we've become infested with the small white daisy-type weed instead of dandelions.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
To be honest, it doesn't master if you cut them anyway. They'll be back tomorrow.

Yup.

Neighbors on both sides have a lot of dandelions. They cut their lawns one day. Dandelions gone. The next day they're back.

You want to get rid of dandelions you have to treat for them. Or dig them up by hand. Our one next door neighbor thought he was going to dig his up. That lasted all of about one day

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
My father, may he RIP, waged war on dandelions all his life. He had a lawn about 50' x 30'. He wanted a smooth green sward he could admire from the window. He fed, watered, patched/seeded and weeded it day upon day. When he returned from his daily commute he would patrol it with a knife in hand, removing dandelions one by one. There were always a few to execute, but he was content that he would prevail in the end.

Then I got a dog from a rescue, that liked to dig and run in circles on grass. I thought he would have a stroke. He gave up on the lawn after that.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Dandelions are some of a bees first food in spring. Don’t spray them, it’ll kill the bees. Let them grow. They don’t last long. If they do, pull them out after mid June.

Posts: 11149 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I spray them out in my yard....and I may wander into my neighbors yard a little....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11300 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
To effectively mow/cut dandelions (not remove them), I suggest backing up over them with the mower after they've been pushed over on the first pass. After they've flowered/gone to seed, assault with weed killer as appropriate... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8932 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any thoughts?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24156 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pick the yellow flowers and make wine out of them. That's what I used to help dad with

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I've read where the leaves & even large roots were considered a delicacy by some of the early pioneers. I suppose after months crossing the Great Plains & then endless western deserts, anything green might taste 'good enough'.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
I'm convinced they duck when the mower goes over them. Then they pop back up and laugh.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
1. Dandelion Wine
2. Young Dandelion greens with bacon dressing.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trimec 992 / Triplet SF (same stuff, different labels). Less than 8 hours before the dandelions fall over.

Posts: 1182 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I assumed it was just a law of nature and have accepted the fact that mowing the stems is next to impossible. Living in the country as I do it is not that big of deal anyway if I have a yard full of dandelion stems sticking up as a symbolic middle finger to my efforts to cut them.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2093 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
If times get hard, you may be glad you have dandelions. Every part of the plant is useful.

https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/dandelions_for_food

Posts: 26933 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
... Then I got a dog from a rescue, that liked to dig and run in circles on grass. I thought he would have a stroke. He gave up on the lawn after that.
I tell my customers "you can have a nice lawn or you can have a dog".

Posts: 45382 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
My wife is multi-chemical sensitive. Lawn chemicals are real bad for her, can cause respiratory arrest very easily. It is the main reason we moved out a semi rural area to get away from them. Not many folks around here use them. There are also areas that are not maintained so weed seed blowing it makes it a costly losing battle to fight it.
I also have a dog, years ago the vet I knew from my childhood pets told me he saw a direct rise in tumors in pets as the rise in lawn chemicals occurred.

I'll pass on weed killer.

I just wish that when I mow the yard the damn mower would just cut them off!

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4139 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
You shall burn them with fire...

Posts: 9165 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gjgalligan:
My wife is multi-chemical sensitive. Lawn chemicals are real bad for her, can cause respiratory arrest very easily. ...
Here in PA we have a Pesticide Hypersensitivity Registry. If I'm to apply a treatment to an abutting property, I am to contact you 12 to 72 hours prior to the application to allow you to make arrangements to be elsewhere during the application.